The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud 7 string resonator
Steve Suits

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 7:06 am    

I've very little info on this guitar. It was my father's and he bought it from a guy in Havana Il. Original owner Tim G. So it has the TG inlay on the headstock. Most pics I've seen of this semi rare guitar are maple top or sunburst. This one is black. I guess that might make it even more semi rare. Any info on rarity and tuning and even value appreciated. Not looking to sell as it's now an heirloom. I have very little of dad's things. Mostly his common sense and love of music.

Robert B Murphy

Mountain View, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 8:19 am    

Yeah, it sure is a beauty. Don't ever sell it, at least to someone other than me!

I am currently rebuilding a Gretsch/Sho-Bro 7-string which in all respects I think is an inferior guitar to yours. I will tune it to the GBDEGBD G6th tuning.

Steve Suits

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2022 4:14 am    

Robert B Murphy wrote:
Yeah, it sure is a beauty. Don't ever sell it, at least to someone other than me!

I am currently rebuilding a Gretsch/Sho-Bro 7-string which in all respects I think is an inferior guitar to yours. I will tune it to the GBDEGBD G6th tuning.

Thanks, I appreciate your input. It's a nice sounding guitar. I'm a bass player so it's a whole new world for me.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 22 May 2022 4:21 am    

Looks like you got the 3 most important things from your Dad. That guitar is a beaut. A friend once told me, "If common sense was so common, there would be a lot more people that have it!" Whoa!

Steve Suits

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2022 11:32 am    

Bill Groner wrote:
Looks like you got the 3 most important things from your Dad. That guitar is a beaut. A friend once told me, "If common sense was so common, there would be a lot more people that have it!" Whoa!

Thanks Bill. Looking forward to playing it with my brothers someday. One plays guitar, mandolin and sings. The other a 5 string bluegrass banjo. Dad played this and a fiddle. They handed me a bass when I was 8 and told me to play it. 55 years later I'm learning a new instrument.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 22 May 2022 2:25 pm    

Nice guitar! Definitely a completely different animal from a Sho Bro (which are also cool). This one's obviously hand made, and not of the Baldwin era. Real inlay and everything. Wonder if it's one of the ones that the Grammer Guitar guys had something to do with.

Dave

Steve Suits

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2022 2:35 pm    

David Ball wrote:
Nice guitar! Definitely a completely different animal from a Sho Bro (which are also cool). This one's obviously hand made, and not of the Baldwin era. Real inlay and everything. Wonder if it's one of the ones that the Grammer Guitar guys had something to do with.

Dave

Thanks. I'm hoping to find out more from all the knowledgeable, more experienced fellows here. I've restrung it, but didn't take the cone out while I had the chance. Probably going to have to, to look for dates or signatures. The case came with some of the original Sho-Bud strings still bagged.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 5:36 pm     Sb

I had an old Sho-Bro 7 string..I got ahold of the Jackson family in 2020 for history and info..they got the info and then bought it from me for Shot’s Museum.. Shocked