The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Simplifier DLX
David Alexander

Mead, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 7:58 pm    

Has anyone tried the Simplifier DLX preamp for steel? I’m thinking about buying one to use with our band’s in ear rig as we’re running direct and not using amps. It’s a small pedal with eq, reverb, cabinet simulator, ect. If anyone has tried one I would appreciate some advice before I buy one! Thanks

Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 9:59 pm    

I run the predecessor simplifier not the dlx and love it.
It gives me the most natural sound in headphones I have been able to get and I run stereo effects (boss DM20 and Mooer Ocean machine reverb/dual delay) in the effects loop.
The built in headphone outlet and choices of balanced or unbalanced outputs are great. Saves having to use a mixer or DI.
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2022 4:19 am    

I also have the earlier model simplifier and love it. I play mostly regular guitar through it, but it works great for steel too. As Jeff said, the headphone output is great, and the various models that are built into it sound very good.

The only two cautions I'd make (don't know if these apply to the DLX or not) are that the Fender model is a lot quieter than the Vox or Marshall models. Not a big deal, and it sounds quite good, but if you switch between the three, you can get a surprise in volume.

The second is that it will hum like crazy if you don't ground your inputs. I ran a separate ground wire to one of the cable shells on my pedal board, and it immediately lost the hum, and has a very low noise floor. This is a pretty well documented issue, and it's really not an issue at all as long as you know what has to be done.

Dave