The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone Use A Line Out Box
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 19 May 2022 12:15 pm    

Anyone using a line out box?

My amp tech ordered a couple of these for me, just wondering your experiences. My tech is building me a "Wet-Dry-Wet" setup, and she is also going to use these and buffers to make an effect loop for my amps that don't have one, like my Milkman & Fender amps. Your experiences and thoughts are appreciated?

https://www.suhr.com/electronics/tone-tools/suhr-iso-line-out/

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 20 May 2022 6:19 am    

Not the one that you're using, but a couple of similar boxes.
- Palmer PDI-09
Friedman MicNoMo

I use one between my amp and a dummy load, and run the mic DI output to a recording set up.
This allows me to do silent recording with cranked amps at home, and not advertise to all who may be walking by that there is a house with some cool music gear inside. (I'm sure that you can figure out why this is important.)

Both of my boxes also have switches that supposedly give different speaker "types". Yours does not, FWIW.

This silent recording set up also gets rid of the hassle of mic placement. I tried it one time and gave up. Moving a mic even a tiny amount in any direction or orientation can completely change the sound. Not only that, but if you need to duplicate the set up after moving things to do an overdub or other "fix", it can be next to impossible to duplicate what you started with. At that point I decided that using a mic was outside of my abilities.

I will admit that a well mic'ed amp probably sounds the best. And if you have unlimited tracks and are using a DAW (which is NOT my situation), and several mics, you can blend three tracks of the same thing recorded at various positions and come up with something acceptable.

As for a comment that you made about using these to create an effects loop, I don't see how that is possible. Not with a single amp anyway. I think that you did not explain something clearly.
I can see the wet/dry or w/d/w thing, but NOT an effects loop using a single amp.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 20 May 2022 8:09 am    

Here is a 20 minute or so video where he attempts to outline several different ways to use a Line Out DI box.

A couple of comments.

1) He sort of glosses over this point, almost to the point of not even mentioning it.
Except in rare special cases, these DI boxes are NOT loads.
IF YOU ARE USING A TUBE AMP, YOU MUST ALWAYS HAVE A LOAD CONNECTED TO THE POWER AMP.
It can be a resistive load, a speaker, a combination of the two, whatever.
BUT YOU MUST HAVE A LOAD CONNECTED.

2) There are several different kinds of DI type boxes.
If you are using one connected to a power/speaker output, make sure that it is designed to be used with those signal levels.
It will probably be marked "speaker thru" or something like that, but make sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTg_FYq2tS0&ab_channel=VertexEffects

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 20 May 2022 8:15 am    

Thanks AJM, for your input.

The units you mentioned are fine units for what they do. The Palmer is a DI, and Dave Friedman's unit is a "Passive Guitar Cabinet Emulated DI Box" purpose is you no longer have to mic your speaker cabinet. A line out box is different but similar. For your situation, the Friedman is a great choice. The Suhr units we ordered (In The Photo I Posted) clearly states "Speaker Thru".

Thanks for your thoughts. Very Happy