The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sacramento/NorCal steel jam - Nov 19, 2022
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2022 3:13 pm    

Hey Dave, we would love to see you, there should be plenty of room, I hope you can make it (Grins too). It will to be hard to know how many folks are actually coming until they show up, hoping for a good turnout, but not too crazy. We'll see! For those of you reading this, please do post an informal RSVP here if you're definitely planning to come.

I went through the Band in a Box tracks from the last jam yesterday evening and generated some .mp3 practice tracks and charts in case anyone who is coming wants to work out a little. They are here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zcbbdgk7fonb9mu/AAA_TsCQxrmqfGciqwVr033-a

There are 44 tunes in the folder, way more than we will have time to get to at the jam, just plenty of options. We can potentially add a few other things on fly too. The files are about 228MB total, you can click the "download" button to save them all to your computer/tablet as a .zip file, or just download them individually. I shortened the .mp3s down to about 5-6 min. each with looped sections to practice solos. The charts match the tracks, but keep in mind that neither are actually accurate arrangements of the songs, they are tweaked to make them jam friendly. The charts also have some idiosyncrasies based on how Band in a Box interprets stuff, sometimes you have to add /bass notes or call sub chords to get the right sounds. Hopefully it's intelligible enough to make sense and be useful. If anyone has a request or suggestion for any other tunes, different stuff we might want to include, post them here or shoot me a note and I will do my best to add them to the folder.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2022 2:36 pm    

This Saturday Nov 19, 2022 is the fall steel jam at The Side Door in Curtis Park, 2900 Franklin Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95818 (the SW corner of Franklin & 4th Ave) from 11am until ~4pm. Pedal steel, lap steel, dobro, all are welcome. See the note below about load-in and parking.

There will also be an evening performance the same day at 7:00pm hosted by John Green, the owner of the Side Door, with Geoffrey Miller plus others TBA. The afternoon jam is open to all, the evening show will be a ticketed event for spectators to provide a little gas money for the performers, more info on that here: https://www.thesidedoor.net/event-details/steel-guitar-jam-and-concert-2

LOAD-IN and PARKING: The Side Door is right at the edge of a residential neighborhood so parking is a little sparse right at the venue. There is plenty of parking within the surrounding few blocks, on Franklin Blvd and some of the side streets. You can drop your gear before parking, but not a bad idea to bring a cart or something to schlep it. The entrance we will be using is on the side of the building (yes, the actual Side Door), it's the big blue door facing 4th Ave, next to the barber shop.

There will not be any food or beverages available at the venue, but there is nice little beer garden/pizza place right next door on Franklin (in the same building), and another place a couple of blocks up, or you can of course just bring your own provisions.

Last edited by Ian Worley on 15 Nov 2022 9:34 am; edited 2 times in total

Steve French

Roseville CA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2022 5:07 pm    

Unfortunately, family obligations will prevent me from attending this time around. I had a great time at our last gathering and will certainly look forward to the next one!

Frenchy

David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2022 7:17 pm    

Well, due to my wife having a rough patch in her health... I thought I would have to skip this session of the jam....

but happily, in the 3 weeks she has been recovering at home, I think I'll be able to make it after all.

Will miss seeing you Steve F.
Dave Z., hope you can make this one!

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2022 12:36 pm    

I expect to be there.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2022 2:29 pm    

Quote:
Dave Z., hope you can make this one!

Looking for to seeing and hearing you again! It's been way too long! Give my best to Patty!!
Dave Z

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2022 11:53 am    

Fun times at the steel jam in Sacramento yesterday! Thanks to everyone for coming out to the Side Door and making it happen, it was great to hang with y'all and hear you play, make a few new friends. A few of us stuck around for the evening performance and did a one hour set with the Bob Woods Trio, four steels trading solos, it was a lot of fun. At one point the bandleader Bob called out "everybody!", it was a wall o' steel! Cool

Hopefully we can do it again in the spring if folks are interested in a repeat. John Green, the owner of Side Door loves steel guitar. For those of you who came, let me know if there is anything we can do differently next time to make it better. Until then...

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2022 4:19 pm    

Thanks again Ian for putting together a well run steel guitar jam.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2022 5:46 pm    

Great photo! Very Happy Wish I could have been there.

David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2022 7:24 pm    

I had a great time... meeting old friends and making new ones... and mostly just getting a good "fix" of steel guitar. Smile

Ian many, many thanks for herding cats, and making sure everything worked!

See you all in the spring thaw Smile

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2022 11:22 pm    

I had just as much fun visiting as I did playing and listening. Grateful that this happened! Looking forward to next time!