The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  volume pedals
Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2022 11:22 am    

In your opinion which is a better volume pedal bang for the buck?
Hilton or Goodrich. I know Hiltons are more expensive but is the difference really worth the extra cost?

Sam

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 May 2022 1:24 pm    

The Goodrich is fine for most, but a few like the extra treble a Hilton provides. If you want bragging rights, lots of treble, and money's no object, go for the Hilton. If you like a fuller sound and not having to plug into an AC outlet, stick with the Goodrich.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 4:42 am    

Time out.

1) Goodrich makes several different pedals. Which one are you asking about?

2) Do you have anything else between the guitar and amp? Any other pedals?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 5:16 am    

I've had two Hilton's, one with attached power supply and a later model with plug in power supply, and didn't find either to be "trebly" I could use the Hilton (factory settings, no adjustments) or the Goodrich with the same amp settings and get similar sound.

Between a standard Goodrich 120 pot pedal and the Hilton, for me the Hilton wins. I don't like the volume taper of the current pots being used and that alone would point me to a Hilton. Other advantages, no periodic pot replacement and no string to break and require replacement. Basically, no maintenance with a Hilton and over time it will pay for itself.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 5:49 am    

I have several Goodrich VP and one Hilton. While I prefer the Goodrich for it's simplicity and feel, I have no issues with using the Hilton. The power supply is my only quirk. The pots and string on Goodrich can be a challenge but the new pots are long life. Overall I'm using the Goodrich.

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 6:53 am    

ajm wrote:
Time out.

1) Goodrich makes several different pedals. Which one are you asking about?

2) Do you have anything else between the guitar and amp? Any other pedals?

1) Wasn't thinking of any one individual Goodrich but will accept your comments on any one or more of them

2)I go through a preamp to my present pedal, then a delay/reverb pedal to the amp......

Was curious because of all the comments on the two pedals and the price of each.

Thanks for your response

Sam

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 6:56 am    

I wouldn't put a preamp between my guitar and the foot pedal.
Erv

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 6:57 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
The Goodrich is fine for most, but a few like the extra treble a Hilton provides. If you want bragging rights, lots of treble, and money's no object, go for the Hilton. If you like a fuller sound and not having to plug into an AC outlet, stick with the Goodrich.

Thanks Donny, that was helpful.

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 6:59 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
I wouldn't put a preamp between my guitar and the foot pedal.
Erv

Erv, why is that?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 7:29 am    

I've never heard of anybody doing that.
Erv

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 8:58 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Erv

OOPS might be part of my tone problem,,, will take it off and see if it is different. Thanks Erv

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 8:59 am    

Good move! Very Happy
Erv

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 11:55 am    

FWIW, I always have a form for pre-amp before the VP, which means the brand/type of VP does not matter tonewise. Depends entirely of what pre-amp that is used and whether it is suited (regarding load, etc.) for the instrument (PU), or not.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2022 6:06 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Erv

Almost everyone who has Sarno's Black Box is doing that. Works well.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 May 2022 6:56 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I've had two Hilton's, one with attached power supply and a later model with plug in power supply, and didn't find either to be "trebly" I could use the Hilton (factory settings, no adjustments) or the Goodrich with the same amp settings and get similar sound.

Jack, I don't think anyone can argue the fact that a large percentage of players switched to the Hilton (and other powered pedals) because powered pedals maintain the treble when the pedal is backed off. Whereas, a passive pedal like the popular Goodrich, tends to reduce the treble somewhat when the pedal is backed off.

I never said the Hilton was "too trebly". You're reading something into my post that I didn't write. Mr. Green

Matt Kidney

Galway, Eire
Post  Posted 20 May 2022 1:54 am    

I tried a friends Goodrich Omni the other day, I'm sold on it, best of both worlds active (with no attenuated treble) and passive, and can be battery powered so no extra power cable needed if that's an issue.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 20 May 2022 6:33 am    

I regularly use a Hilton and a Goodrich and I find that the Hilton has greater clarity for recording (which some might call trebly I suppose).
I use the Hilton with my Telonics amp (no powersupply needed with that, just a cable) and the Goodrich when I want to travel light.
For me the Hilton is better value than the Goodrich, and also better than the Telonics, which is magnificent but has a lot of expensive features that I shall never use.

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 20 May 2022 7:31 am    

Lehle mono 90 is my pick.

Robert

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 20 May 2022 7:48 am    

Old Guy = Old Gear

I've got a couple of Emmons drop-pin volume pedals. The pot replacement (not really very often in my experience) doesn't bother me. I like the taper of these pedals, the very 'quick' response, and the bit of top-end roll off when you back off the volume I like. I'd rather replace a pot (I've found NOS A-B pots work best, and I have a stash) once every couple of years than mess with a power supply on every gig, JMO.. I hate having a zillion things to plug-in, extra wall warts, etc.

Also when moving the steel around in my studio, or in the frantic 'band-swap' so common in many Austin area venues these days (3 bands on/off stage in the same venue in one night) the ability to just grab the steel and volume pedal and move it as one 'unit' is great. I think Buddy was the genesis of that feature for the Opry? Like many of his ideas, brilliant if you ask me.

Patrick Edwards

Port Orchard, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2022 8:06 am     Best bang for the buck

For me , I think the Stage One volume pedal has the best bang for the buck.
It’s lite ,sturdy with modern pot, gear driven (no string) with tuner out and now costs $130 . Doug is a great guy. I sent my older Stage One vp back to him and he installed the tuner out feature; only charged shipping. I’ve been loving mine over five years with no issues..Check it out on the new Stage One website
Patrick

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 20 May 2022 8:52 am    

another vote for the stage one. much lighter than all others but with the right geometrics and no string quirk. sounds good too very affordable too. i have two and love them.
Goodrich stays in the cabinet.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 6:56 am    

Pardon me for interupting here, but I believe the original question was between Goodrich and Hilton.

Both make fine pedals.

Yep the Hilton is brighter and holds the tone the same across the sweep.

However, I personally like the light tonal change of a volume pot. Of course I am old and like the tones of the past.

I have a Hilton, a Telonics and a couple of Goodrich.
My goto pedal is the Goodrich OMNI with one of the newer pots. Fits my style of playing.
And unlike Jack, I have had no problem adjusting to the slight taper difference between the new pots and the old style pots.

Just my opinion.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 4:21 pm    

Lehle for me too. The others are really good pedals though. I've had them all I guess.

Dave

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 4:45 pm    

Bill Ferguson wrote:
Pardon me for interupting here, but I believe the original question was between Goodrich and Hilton.

Good point!

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 5:18 pm    

I am reading all the responses to my question and have come to the same conclusion for all questions regarding equipment... there is no one answer, it is what We each like.

I trully thank each and everyone of you for your comments. I am not in the immediate need of another volume pedal but kept wondering if a Hilton was that much better than a Goodrich as a result in pricing difference.

I am using a Boss at presence and still trying to develop a technique....Perhaps as I become more experienced I will be buying something better, which now becomes a problem because of all the PERSONAL likes and dislikes. Nothing wrong with that, guess i just need more time to determine what I would like.

Again, thanks to all for your input and I do respect ALL your opinions.

Sam