The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone ID the builder(s)? - 1950's triple-neck PEDAL steel!
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2022 12:31 pm    

This triple-neck (10, 8 & Cool might have been built as a console and converted in the 50's (the Klusons date from 1953-56), or built from the start with 3 different...and rudimentary, but operational...changers; the front neck *could* have had 3 pedals, and the back one had a second one at one time - described below.

While I knew the guy whose name had been on the front and saw it about 15 years ago, I do not know if he ordered or modified it. Any info would be great to have!

This description hopefully covers most of the details:

A historical treasure - Godzilla's nemesis, the three-headed "King Ghadora" (there was no other choice for a nickname!). Weirdly, I knew the guy whose name is "ghosted" on the front due to removed stick-on lettering - "Bill Hall".

If anyone knows any other history or the maker, let me know - Bill lived/played around the L.A. area, mostly Hawthorne, Inglewood and the South Bay.

He must have played sitting on a barstool, as I'm 6'2" and it's the only way I can use it - when standing it's a little tough to handle the pedals, and a chair or normal seat is too low...and Bill was my height and at least 25 years older (I was born in 1952), so I'm guessing it may have been made for him...or was a console steel converted to a pedal steel FOR him!

Here's the "arrangement, front to back: 10/0 (but with one lonely finger for string 5 and holes for fingers on 2 & 3. But no changer other than the bar on top for the fingers); 8/3 (raises on strings 3,4 & 5 only, tunable by simple screws as stops); and the back neck, an 8/1 (note the lonely pedal on the left support bar, which can raise one or more of strings 2,3 & 4 using a big block with the tuning cap screws in it - and it appears there was a fourth pedal at one time that operated on one or more of strings 5, 6; and 7 using another big block above the other one!). Pedals all operate using cables, pulleys and string tension only, so pedal action is long but low-effort.

Got a triple-headache yet?

1953-56 Kluson Deluxe machine heads, and all work well; Master tone and volume, and a master boo-wah with on/off toggle switch; "veg-o-matic push button pickup selector (only one neck at a time - and it actually SOUNDS very good and everything on it works. SOLID birdseye maple front, top and back, 10-ply hardwood endplates (with handles!) and really pretty, 3-D 3/16" thick clear/white back fretboards.

Even has a two-level case with THREE handles plus functional latches and hinges!

I bought it to prevent a possible lowball deal (somebody I know called it the worst thing he'd have in his collection - but he'd drive 15 or 20 miles and help them sell it. Smelled awfully fishy to the seller, a small local guitar shop run by guys I've known for 50 years - so they called me, as I normally check out vintage gear for them.

Don't know if I'll keep it or sell it - but it IS a wild one - and even playable!

The 3 front pedals an be moved closer together. I have the middle neck (the one connected to these`) tuned to Sneaky's B6, and the pedals are set up as the center changes on pedals 1,2 & 3. I can at least play a I IV V and a few minor chords. The pickups have a rich, full P-90 guitar like tone - not the treble heavy voicing of modern steel pickups. Seems like it'd be a fun Western Swing or rock guitar steel!

No clue what I'll do with the changes on the back neck, and I have to figure out a 10 string open tuning for the front neck...

Full guts view (there is normally a sheet of wood paneling that is screwed on to cover the bottom)

The three cables pull the fingers, and it had backwards cap screws as stops (which are still installed in this picture). They were impossible to adjust, so I removed/stored them and installed 8/32 bolts, with a self locking nut at the end of one (or the finger would slip off!) . But the heads are now facing in a direction that allows you to adjust them!

I searched but was unable to find the actual patent for the keyheads.

top view of back changer with the only 3 workable finger positions.

These are really pretty and in stunning condition!

The Ghost of Bill Hall!

[/i]
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional