Easy Rider (No Sidekick)
47%
 47%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 42

Author Topic:  Steeler's Choice: To sidekick or not to sidekick
Eric Long

Bay Area, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2022 12:16 pm    

I'm going to order a new steeler's choice and I'm curious how many of you have had a sidekick and found it to be just to big/heavy? I'll be using it regularly for gigs so it won't just live at home. I'm young so the weight isn't as huge of an issue as the size is.

On one hand, I love the idea of having an accessible storage space while I am seated at my steel for everything from my phone to picks and bar. On the other hand... I'm wondering if it's overkill?

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2022 7:02 pm    

I have 3 sidekick seats and 2 without. I prefer the sidekick for convenience while sitting and use it often. The weight is not much different.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 12 May 2022 8:12 pm    

I like my Sidekick a whole lot. It matches my steel and holds lots of little things. If I did more multi-night gigs where I didn't have to load in and out every *&%# time or if I were doing more high-end things where spiffy-looking gear is a must, I'd take it to work more often than I do. As it is I have a considerably lighter no-name pak-a-seat that works better for grab'n'go, but still has room for pretty much everything I might need.

But I'd still buy a Sidekick.It's a quality piece and worth having.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 May 2022 2:14 am    

Sidekick with back.

A couple years ago I thought about going smaller and ordered a Steelseat.com light weight model seat. I had it less than two weeks and put it up for sale, missed the sidekick compartments and lid.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 13 May 2022 2:45 am    

With a sidekick for sure. One compartment is the perfect size for strings, and the other larger one is perfect for tools and my pick and bar case.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2022 6:22 am    

Yep, the sidekick is quite heavy once it is loaded with all your "stuff", but even at my age and weakness, I prefer the sidekick because:

I only have to carry it in and out of a gig. So I can use a cart if needed.

It seems to be more sturdy on the floor with the wider leg spread.

I have a spare of everything right there with me and don't have to run to the car if something breaks.

It is just plain comfortable.

PERIOD

And you won't find a better person to deal with than Dan Rollans. He has continued the great business his dad started and kept his dad's values. that is enough for me.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2022 7:22 am    

A Steelers Choice with the sidekick can't be beat. Very Happy
Erv

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 13 May 2022 12:33 pm    

The only thing about the sidekick is that it makes the seat a bit bigger & heavier.
But, since you'll sit on it more than schlep it, I say go for it.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2022 12:46 pm    

Sidekick. That’s where my spare strings, cutter and tuner stay. Break a string? Don’t have to get up to do it.

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2022 5:41 pm    

I bought one last month and did not get the Sidekick. I will give it 6 months to see if I need one.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 May 2022 5:51 pm    

I have three problems with the pack-seats. First, they're far heavier and sturdier than they need to be. (Some have as much aluminum trim as a small motor home. Laughing ) Second, I don't care for the "cube" design, which is bulky and bangs on my legs when I'm carrying it in confined quarters, like a narrow stairwell. Third, the "bent tube and wingnut" leg configuration seems clunky and cheap. I'd prefer legs that snap into position, and also have some height adjustment.

Not a lot to ask, but I haven't seen anything yet I'm really impressed with. Oh Well

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2022 7:25 pm    

One of the coolest looking compact seat I seen was made by the Excel pedal steel guitar company. He had it at the Texas Jamboree in 2017. Haven't seen one since.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 May 2022 7:49 am    

With the side-compartment! I've been using those Steeler's Choice seats for twenty-four years now and that add-on has been so useful.

I long ago removed the dividers that come included (from the main compartment and the 'sidekick') and this increased the storage space significantly. I tend to put the less-frequently-required stuff in the part I sit upon (tools, spare volume-pedal, stomp-boxes, etc) and, in the sidekick, I keep strings, Allen wrenches, tuners, spare picks-and-bars. For theatrical rehearsals, there's a supply of soft-leaded pencils and an eraser.

And.... if you keep the lid flipped open, it acts as a tray for coffee and biscuits. Rehearsals are less tedious then. Smile

Mine is a bit weighty with all that stuff inside, but it's a one-time lift and, as has been said, it can go on a hand-cart. It's one of the best steel-guitar-related products ever produced and will last you a whole career.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 15 May 2022 10:22 am    

It’s just a matter of “trade offs”.

The sidekick seat is uber-convenient when an on-stage string break occurs, but is a PITA to carry & load. I feel similarly about back-rests. They’re more comfortable between songs, but complicate loading and hauling. Also, I developed sloppy posture while playing white a back-rest which negatively affected my playing (such as it is).

Currently, I tough-it-out with a plain old cube steel seat.

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2022 10:34 am    

To paraphrase my friend Mike Skaggs. “Everything affects everything”. Many years ago I bought two of the sidecar with backrest option. I carry two Emmons volume pedals. I have the space so I use it. It’s really heavy. I leave one at home for practice. I replaced the padding on the one I take out and gig with. I never ever use the backrest so I decided to ditch it. I also can’t tell you the last time I broke a string. The next sear I buy will not have the sidecar nor the backrest. Keep it simple. I’m also liking the skb3611 for a steel case.

David Farrell

San Diego, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2022 6:44 pm    

I love my seat with the sidecar & back rest.
I have MXR micro phaser, MXR echoplex & HOF reverb pedals that live in the side car.
I have harmonicas that live in the lid of the sidecar & stay put with hair ties that hook over small screws.
The standard size MXR pedals squeeze in & stay put. The sidecar is just the right size for the MXR pedals.
I leave the pedals plugged in, so all I do is take out the cables that are already plugged into the pedals & run them to the amp & volume pedal.
I use a Volto Pedaltrain for power. I do unplug that to recharge between gigs.

Fender pedal steels, amps & guitars. '73 Sho~Bud PRO 1 CUSTOM. Emmons ReSound'65 S-10 4x5.

Pete Grant

Auburn, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 1:26 am    

Sidecar and Backrest.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 30 May 2022 5:57 pm    

Yip !!!!

Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Harrison Dole

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2022 5:36 am    

sidekick seems like the perfect size to hold a bev.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2022 6:36 am    

To add to my Sidecar vote, I also have a Studio Slips "clamshell" cover for my seat. The seat's about 5 years old and still looks new.

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 8:51 am    

Sidekick