The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best new Guitars
Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2022 2:40 pm    

I'm in deep, and I have a question for those with experience with the contemporary makers. What's the best SD-10 currently made? Emmons, Mullen, other? I'm playing an Emmons set up Carter D-10. It's a great instrument, but I want a Single also and I think a new guitar is best so I can wear it out myself. I'm putting in at least 3 hours a day and I should start fresh.

Thanks

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 10 May 2022 3:43 pm    

Bryce,
I recently bought a JUSTICE Pro Lite single neck 4 & 5 . I liked it so much that I'm in the process of purchasing a D10 Justice as I play a lot of C6.

So...The Pro Lite will be for sale for $2500.00 plus shipping. It's like new.

https://www.facebook.com/100001076407459/posts/5162677097111453/?d=n

Ron Hogan

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 May 2022 5:44 pm    

"Best" is nothing but an opinion. That said, I've never owned a Mullen. But of all the makers out there now, I don't think you could go wrong with one of their pro models. They're the only one that I know of that's still around now after about 50 continuous years of building, so they must be doing something right. Mr. Green

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2022 6:38 pm     Best new guitars

Ron. I’m interested. PM Me

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,

Darin Shiflett

Sevierville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2022 7:56 pm    

Bryce, there are certain qualities in a guitar that define the value and greatness to the player. Some people hear tones differently than others, and they lean toward a certain tonal qualities that appeal to thier ears. Others like the feel and playing experience. In the steel guitar community, there are strong opinions from players who are passionate about what they prefer, and you'll get a super broad range of feedback as more people chime in.

At Emmons Guitar Company, we offer a instrument that was designed by one of the greatest players and innovators of all time - Buddy Emmons. His DNA is largely found in most brands on the market because he was a genius. If your purchasing qualifier is tone, the ReSound'65 won't be beaten. If sustain is important, Emmons is king of the mountain. If premium (all American) parts matter, (such as pick-ups, polished cast aluminum necks, keyheads, endplates, chrome legs, tuning machines, changer and body fitment to .002" tolerance) then look no further. All of this comes with a 5 year warranty- oh and we offer buy now, pay as you go financing with 0%APR (through our partner, Affirm).

With D10 and SD10 models in Black, Red, and Walnut, we are confident that your investment would provide you with a lifetime of joy, excitement, and fulfillment as a player!! These guitars are a sound choice.

Check us out online for sound testing videos, pricing, product details, high resolution product images, and and super fast "build-your-guitar" interactive website!!

www.emmonsguitar.co/d10model
www.emmonsguitar.co/sd10model

For all other items and merchandise:
www.emmonsguitar.co/store

Other SD10s...

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 5:05 am    

We are in a good time that there are a good number of quality guitar manufacturers now. Top quality and good sounds. It's became an expensive investment which keeps some from getting into steel guitar.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 5:16 am    

I don't think there is a bad Pedal Steel being made today. Just what features you want (or don't want).

I downsized from a Franklin D-10 to an SD-10. I settled on a new GFI S-10 Ultra with Pad (their version of an SD-10). Weight was an issue and this model GFI is only 30 lbs.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 7:43 am    

If you like the tone of a Sho Bud 63 Madison an great playability. Here's a nice steel for trade or cash here on the forum. I have listed on the steel forum!

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 8:32 am    

It sure seems like someone should mention MSA. For accuracy, repeatability, and ease of play, it would be really hard to beat my MSA Legend.

The company that fabricates them, Microspace Instruments Inc., has just been recertified to AS9100D and ISO 9001:2015 quality standards. That means they're *real* good at building little metal things. Like pedal steel guitar parts... Very Happy

They're equally good at making things that sound good. Oh, and look good, too. Do I sound like a happy owner? I am.

--Al Evans

Colin Swinney

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 8:38 am    

I'd be curious to know what the turnaround time is for some of these manufacturers. Last I heard, supply chain issues were wreaking havoc on Mullen and MSA but that may have resolved by now.

No one has mentioned Excel yet, and if I were to order new, I think they'd be the ones to get my money.

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 12:19 pm     Sd 10

I’m a Rittenberry guy so that’s what I would up or have buiilt. Definitely professional guitars.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 12:38 pm    

Colin Swinney wrote:
I'd be curious to know what the turnaround time is for some of these manufacturers. Last I heard, supply chain issues were wreaking havoc on Mullen and MSA but that may have resolved by now.

No one has mentioned Excel yet, and if I were to order new, I think they'd be the ones to get my money.

GFI statement on their web site:
Quote:
We have had an unusually large number of orders during the pandemic which has caused a bit of a traffic jam in our production. Additionally we are experiencing shortages and delays with some of our parts and materials suppliers. This has pushed out our lead times by quite a bit and made even estimating shipping times very difficult. Our best guess on instrument lead times is probably about 5-7 months. We appreciate your patience and please know we are doing all we can to get everyone's order out as quickly as possible.

Some parts are also temporarily unavailable, they will be removed from the store until available again.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 1:32 pm    

Darin, how much do the new Emmons steels weigh? They are beautiful but I have to consider my old back.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 12 May 2022 2:51 am    

I’m selling off all sorts of epic gear in order to buy a new Emmons resound.

Leon Champion

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2022 6:28 am     Guitar

SHO PRO Jef builds a fine guitar . I have 2 s10s and love them.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2022 7:22 am    

I bought a new Williams S12 recently, on nothing more than their reputation and appearance. Never even heard anyone play one. I am not disappointed. I can get any sound I want from this guitar, from classic honky tonk to modern mellow to cranked rock. And it plays like buttah. It deserves a better player, which I intend to become.

Something tells me you can’t go wrong in this market. There a quite a few great builders. I didn’t have $10k to spend. But for about half of that, I feel I got an instrument for a lifetime. Turnaround time was 6 months.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 12 May 2022 8:49 am    

Steel guitars have never been more perfect.

My gearlust is with a Jackson and Emmons. The ReSound people have done an amazing job - some of the finest YouTube examples are ReSounds. The one Mike Bourque was playing at the Opry just sang.

I might follow Bob Hoffner's lead and unload enough gear to a) declutter my music room and b) raise funds...

Last edited by Tom Gorr on 12 May 2022 8:58 am; edited 2 times in total

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 12 May 2022 8:53 am    

Break time for a second here.

Question for Bryce: ".......but I want a Single also....."

Do you want a single body?
Or do you want an SD-10?

Most manufacturers AFAIK no longer make true single body guitars.
For ease of their manufacturing (among other things) they only offer SD bodies.

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2022 10:34 am    

I've had a Williams D10 and two D12's made with a wide body Ext E9 S12 5 X 5(well under $5000 new and about 30 lbs) on order to make things easier to carry. Pitch return comps on all strings with a raise and a lower. I had the ball connection for the pedal rods moved back 1/4" to make them play even smoother with A pedal temperment comps on 1 and 7. I can't say enough about how well these guitars play and stay in tune, and they're as beautiful as any steel you can buy. I'm sure the Emmons, Jackson, Sho Pro, Mullen play super also, but I want to an all Laquer 12 string keyless that won't break me down carrying it.

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2022 11:18 am    

Sorry for the double post, since I can't see how to delete it I'll just say thank you all for the kind advice. I love the support of this community.

I think I'll get a Gator or SKB case to save on weight, and an SD-10 to keep at a separate location so I don't have to haul my double so much, and to have a back up on hand if one needs service. I'll be giving all these fine guitar suggestions from y'all consideration

Last edited by Bryce Van Parys on 12 May 2022 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2022 11:30 am    

Well I think I’m looking for an SD 10 because I need to rest my arms, it just seems more comfortable resting on a pad then strings. I’m looking to trim some weight and bulk so I’m looking at the justice pro light. There’s a local Mullen dealer and technician (Patrick Timmons) in town here, and I’d like give him the business because having somebody local to service is important. Cost is a factor, as well as availability because I am itching to get something now. Somebody just told me about some SKB cases that were nice and light that might help the weight issue too So many things to consider, and I really appreciate everybody’s input. Pretty sure I’m gonna keep the Carter at a second location to have something to practice on that I don’t have to move, and as a back up in case, God forbid, something went wrong before a gig

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 May 2022 11:48 am    

Bryce Van Parys wrote:
Well I think I’m looking for an SD 10 because I need to rest my arms, it just seems more comfortable resting on a pad then strings. I’m looking to trim some weight and bulk so I’m looking at the justice pro light. There’s a local Mullen dealer and technician (Patrick Timmons) in town here, and I’d like give him the business because having somebody local to service is important. Cost is a factor, as well as availability because I am itching to get something now. Somebody just told me about some SKB cases that were nice and light that might help the weight issue too So many things to consider, and I really appreciate everybody’s input. Pretty sure I’m gonna keep the Carter at a second location to have something to practice on that I don’t have to move, and as a back up in case, God forbid, something went wrong before a gig

The GatorPG49 keyboard case is used by several on here. It is 6lbs (regular cases are around 17lbs and up).

I have the Gaator PG49 and with my GFI Ultra S-10 with pad it 36 lbs total (case and steel).

Derek Puckett

Cookeville Tn
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 7:40 pm    

Hey Bryce I own rittenberry steel guitars, I would love to help you, no one builds a bad guitar these days. It’s all about what you want, tone,playability, sustain and the list goes on. On the building side time of completion lead times are longer than normal do to some supply chain issues and also the more popular brands have many order. So expect long times for them as well.