The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What Speaker are you using for Quilter 202 in a Blockdock
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2022 3:23 am    

I picked up a Quilter 12" blockdock (unloaded) for my Toneblock 202. I got the dock empty because the dozens of comments I read hear and elsewhere about the available stock speakers (including the TT-12) convinced me they wouldn't give me the sound I was after. I have a few different speakers here to try out, but thought I'd see what others have come up with. My preferences is for more of a vintage, scooped, Fendery tone. I have gotten a sense of how to approach that on the 202 itself (different on-board voicing, EQ etc.), but would like to maximize that tonal goal with a good speaker pairing.

Obviously everyone's ears are different and what sounds good to me might not sound good to you and all that, but I would be interested to hear what others have tried.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2022 3:31 am    

Not running the 202 through it, but with a Steelaire Rackmount, the Peavey 1203-4 Black Widow is my favorite.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2022 6:01 am    

I've tried a few 12" and 15" speakers with the BlockDock. I prefer the TT12. It does have a slightly more pronounced midrange than some of the others, so I cut the mids a little more at the amp head than with most other speakers. As always there are variables like the guitar, pickup, ambient environment, pick attack, the player's ears, etc. However, it converted me from being a 15" speaker guy to a 12" speaker guy.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2022 7:42 am    

If your amp rig has a mid shift, treble control that hovers around 4000hz and a bass control that can cover 45hz to 80hz, you can readjust tone settings to duplicate most 15" or 12" popular steel guitar speakers. I have 4 completely different amp rigs and can interchange 12' and 15" speakers and duplicate tone between all of them. It takes some time and knob twisting. It's been an interesting experiment. The only thing I don't have control over is the amount of tube compression between them. This has to be built into the electronics of the amp or use a black box.
1)Revelation
2)TC Electronic BQ-250 with (MXR M81 pedal)
3)Quilter 201 with (Boss 59 Bassman pedal)
4)Older Session 400.
The M81 and Bassman pedal are used to tweak the tone. And steel friendly.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2022 12:13 pm    

I have the full Travis Toy 12 combo with the TT12 speaker.

I tried a Telonics 12 in the Blockdock enclosure and the TT12 won, by a slight margin.

The enclosure size/design makes a difference with different speakers. I had a Peavey Nashville 12 and tried both the TT12 and the Telonics 12. and in the Nashville 112 the Telonics won by a slight margin.

Dennis, no (Peavey Paramid) mid shift in the Quilter TB202.

For me, the Travis Toy 12 is the best steel amp I've had since an early 70's Twin Reverb with JBL's. I've had every Peavey steel amp from the Session 500 to NV112 and never completely satisfied with any of them. I had a Quilter Steelaire and it was OK but I prefer the TB202 amp.

Right setting and the TB202 can sound "Fenderish". (I normally use FullQ but on occasion the Vint mode that configures it for a Fender style tone stack voicing).

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2022 6:34 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I have the full Travis Toy 12 combo with the TT12 speaker...For me, the Travis Toy 12 is the best steel amp I've had since an early 70's Twin Reverb with JBL's. I had a Quilter Steelaire and it was OK but I prefer the TB202 amp...Right setting and the TB202 can sound "Fenderish". (I normally use FullQ but on occasion the Vint mode that configures it for a Fender style tone stack voicing).

I have both the 12" and 15" Block Docks. I now prefer the 12. I have bought and sold at least six Peaveys. They are built like tanks and other steelers sound great through them, but I never could dial one in to suit me. I have a Steelaire, but prefer the 202. I agree with Jack that it is the best sounding amp I have had since my silverface Twin Reverb. I still have that amp. I use the Vint setting on the 202 and yes, it does sound "Fenderish."

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2022 5:56 am    

I originally bought the 202 Toneblock Combo with the TT-12 in it... Liked it so much and already having a couple TT-15's I bought the Quilter 15" Cabinet and installed it... NOW, the 12" cab sits on top of the 15" cab and I just have a silly grin on my face when I'm playing through them.

I also have a Telonic's 2-12 SuperTwin which is also a great amp which sounds good with the stock Telonic's speakers in it, but when I swapped them out with 2- TT-12's, it was "Oh yeah, there it is"

On a side note, I also have a 2-12" p2p Bad Dawg from Mike Scaggs, which has 2- 12" Wheelhouse speakers in it which also sound fantastic.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com