The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nylon string "steel guitar"
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2022 5:43 am    

I know this may sound ridiculous, but I'm just curious what people think. I searched a bit, but it doesn't seem like anyone is doing this. I did find a guy playing a classical guitar with a slide, and honestly it didn't sound bad at all. I'm not sure how the strings would hold up on a pedal instrument? I have always loved the mellow tone of nylon strings, but they would probably really lack in sustain. Just a thought..

Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2022 12:29 pm    

It won't work on a pedal instrument becaus nylon strings need a kot of stretch to change pitch.
It also won't work with a standard pickup because the strings need to be magnetic
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2022 8:12 am    

What about this thing? Wonder what it would sound like with a slide? Pretty sure these are nylon strings. https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/2019/11/1950s2019-unitedwildwood-guitar-koto.html

Here's another similar idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTx5J7BGwVI

I think a pedal instrument could be made, however, good point on the difference with nylon strings. A different style of changer would probably be required. I would most likely build this as an acoustic, but there are cheap piezo that work for nylon strings. This would definitely be a very different sort of animal! I am a hobby builder and mostly build one off experimental instruments for myself, so ideas like this are always interesting to me.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2022 8:16 am    

Oh man just found this, WOW! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8kHvaPjYU0

Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2022 11:51 pm    

I tried my nylon string guitar(with piezo) with steel sounded fine. Volume was the same as fretted.

Still think pedals would be a problem. nylon strings take a while to settle in pedals would likely have massive tuning instability.
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2022 5:03 am    

I have an acoustic steel I built and I've been interested to try a bending mechanism that would somehow pull or push the strings on the back side of the bridge, similar to the koto. Or possibly build a longer steel with lower notes on the back side of the bridge that could be added in, also similar to Koto. The tuning on the back of the bridge would always be determined by the tuning on the main fretboard so that would all have to be figured out. It would be a fun project! I like the idea of using an old guitar body as a resonator. Not that many people seem to be into acoustic steel beyond the Dobro, most 8 string or less. There are so many other possibilities. Currently redoing part of the floor in my shop so all I can do is daydream... Oh Well