The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Together Again-Overplayed
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2022 2:10 pm    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yhGYZTJkE8
February 2021 I played this song to a rhythm track. I posted it on Facebook. I had another steel player tell me that Tom Brumley played the melody line and did nothing flowery. He proceeded to tell me in capital letters "THIS IS SERIOUSLY OVERPLAYED, I HATE THIS". That being said I was nice to him with my comments. I figure everyone has their own way of playing and their thought process. At any rate here is my version of "Together Again".

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2022 2:28 pm    

Sounded real good to me! Cool

David Rattray

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2022 3:19 pm     Well Done

Over played Nahh....Well played...yes....Paul I like your version...David...

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2022 4:23 pm    

Lovely!
Your critic displayed only his ignorance, in that Tom Brumleyā€™s solo is only one time through the changes, and your first time through is very respectfully simliar to the original.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2022 4:37 pm    

Someone called me a random note player and I told him to feel free to avoid my posts in the future. Lifeā€™s too short for me and for him.
I consider myself to be a decent musician, and at this point I have no desire to follow anyone elseā€™s path. If I couldnā€™t go my own way, Iā€™d have no desire to play. Some people who claim to love music have a hard time grasping that concept. I can live with the fact that some feel alienated by the music.
Do your thing, nevermind the noise.

Last edited by Mike Neer on 13 Apr 2022 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2022 4:43 pm    

Paul,

As you are the "lead" in this rendition you are entitled to do whatever you want. The way you chose to present the melody of the entire is spot on IMHO. TB's playing was simply the break as in the original.

Don't stop doing what you are doing..

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2022 5:16 pm    

I have been told by a few players that I can't play that song that or this way. it's not how it's played. My response always was and always will be ...When you play it, play it your way. When I platy it I'll play it my way.... you dont have to sound like the artist that originally recorded it.

Do the people listening like it? That's the key... As long as the audience enjoys it so what if you add or subtract from it.... DO IT YOUR WAY

Sam

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2022 5:26 pm    

It sounds good to me, Paul. When I read the word "overplayed", I was expecting a cluttered batch of riffs and licks, but no, you played well within the context of the song.
Keep doing what you're doing.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2022 7:06 pm    

I like it just fine. When I play at home to backing tracks I often go off script and embellish as I see fit. Trying different things is part of the fun in playing. Paul Franklin and Vince Gill didn't stick with the original either. But they kept the melody in tact.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2022 7:15 pm    

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Everyone has their own way of playing a song. I could not imagine telling another steel player or any musician I hate what they are doing. I had to let it roll off my back and keep on going.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2022 7:26 pm    

Paul, you can probably delete the comment and block the commenter if you want to. I donā€™t know about Facebook, but that can be done on YouTube and Instagram.

David Dorwart

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2022 8:16 am    

Iā€™ve been working on Together Again the past few days and your version is legit. Iā€™m not hearing a lot of copying - itā€™s your own version and a good one at that. Keep on picking and donā€™t let the bastards get you down

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2022 8:25 am     Positive vs Negative Commentā€”-Duh!

Paul,
Thank you for adding the ā€œPaul Kingā€ version of this classicā€¦especially for those of us who ā€œPracticeā€ playing our contraption šŸ˜‰. Let the Citizen who made the unsolicited/unfounded comment give us his/her/their version for our listening pleasureā€¦might even top all other renditions to include the Very Best by Tom himself šŸ¤”šŸ˜‰. As I mentioned to one of our Masters recently (Doug B),
some folks will try to cram 100 notes into a 50 note sackā€¦Paul doesnā€™t do this. Paul, you IMHO, always do the song justice and sometimes,I like your version/licks even better than the original. Keepā€™em comingā€¦.Thanks, Carl

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2022 10:00 am    

Paul, you version was very nice, and well played. I enjoyed it, as I do all your posts. The world only needed one Tom Brumley...

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2022 10:34 am    

Sounds great to me. I wouldn't lose any sleep over the critics. You don't have to take a back seat to anybody. Also, if I want to hear a song played like Tom, John Hughey, Lloyd, etc... I'll just listen to their recording on it and not waste my time on the copycats. Anybody that plays as well as you do has earned the right to play a cover of a song anyway they see fit.

RC

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2022 12:13 pm    

Thanks guys for the kind words. Doug, I did block him from my Facebook page.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2022 5:06 pm    

I had a doozy on my YouTube channel yesterday. I won't mention any names, but it went like this:

Commenter: "My grandpa ( name ) could show you a thing or two on the pedal steel. I'm just sayin"

Me: "Good, have him post his playing here on YouTube. I'm looking forward to hearing him."

Commenter: "You would already know him if you knew anything about the pedal steel."

Rolling Eyes So it's "ban from channel"... one click and he's gone forever.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2022 5:16 pm    

Doug, I just hate when someone jumps up and talks like that. It was totally uncalled for on his part. Blocking him was the thing to do. I blocked that man off my Facebook page as well.

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2022 5:20 pm    

Amazing Doug ! šŸ˜³. What really scares or concerns me is that thereā€™s a lot of these same common-sensed challenged folks on the highway with us šŸ˜³šŸ˜‰

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2022 6:34 pm    

You got that right Carl. There is a lot of ignorance out there.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2022 5:48 am    

It's ok for everyone to like or dislike how someone else plays, just don't impose what you like yourself onto someone else. Be happy that we all have our way to musically express ourselves.

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2022 7:16 am    

Well said Marcoā€¦.I believe most of us try to follow Ye Olde Rule of, ā€œPraise in Public, Censure in Privateā€. Of course when one asks for feedback (Good, Bad, and The Ugly), then itā€™s open season to a point.
My last lick at a Dead Horse..šŸ˜‰

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2022 9:49 am    

You are right Marco. However, I will never tell another musician I hate what they did. Some people just say things to be hurtful. Myself, I just let it roll off and move forward.

Bill Sutton

Post  Posted 17 Apr 2022 10:05 am    

Paul you did a fine job. Dont pay any attention to that Idiot. Tell that SUCK FISH to play his version if he thinks he can play it better. Keep up your good work.

Bill S.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2022 11:31 am    

another great job Paul. I did miss the Emmons shirt tho.
I never play a song like the original. Mostly cause I can't. You are an excellent player.