The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reverb.com info please
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2022 8:46 am    

Not quite sure where to post this. Please move or delete at mods discretion. I would have just tacked it on to Roger's thread re: same, but that is in the Feedback section and that's probably not the right place.

I'm considering using reverb.com to sell some gear that is not really of interest to the steel guitar community.

Things like that move slow here, if at all.

I'd like to have more information from users who sell through them concerning how to handle the financial information and transactions.

I know they have a service where you can accept credit cards.

I would appreciate a PM from anyone willing to share their experiences and tutelage. Thanks in advance.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2022 9:21 am    

I have always had good results with Reverb.com
Erv

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2022 10:26 am    

Erv, do you sell through them or just buy?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2022 10:27 am    

I've done both.
Erv

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2022 3:57 pm    

Bought and sold. Never had a problem. They used to be cheaper and their customer support used to be better before they were acquired, but for what it is, a lot better than the alternatives. Specializing helps as well. I would never used ebay to buy or sell instruments again.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2022 7:46 pm    

I've also bought and sold through Reverb.com and never had any problems.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2022 12:07 pm    

likewise, I find Reverb easy to use and pretty hassle free. there's no charge to simply list items for sale. but when you do sell an item, nearly 8% of your sale goes to Reverb (last I checked) so price your listings accordingly

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2022 12:40 pm    

Thanks for all the replies and PMs. Think I'll give it a try.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2022 8:24 pm    

Jerry, between the steel forum and Reverb.com, i basically liquidated my entire home recording studio. I'm thankful to both. HOWEVER.... that was a couple of years ago. Those folks telling you how great Reverb.com is/was most likely haven't sold on there for a while. Now, they no longer take PayPal as YOUR payment from THEM, they want bank info & hold your personal/business bank account info, they will...will hold on to your first couple of sales transaction payments now,(they never use to) & Reverb.com is ssslooowww. After these changes were implemented, i booked. Took us 8 months to finally get my final $1,200 sellers funds, but we did get it. I wanted paid, by the same maner that they were paid, via PayPal. They wanted my finacial information, i told'em to drop dead see ya in court. After 8 months my PayPal account was in fact credited by Reverb.com for my $1,200. They have a way of letting you accept several payment options, but you cannot use PayPal Zummo etc to pay them, they must have your banking information.

By reports i've heard, not much is moving anywhere right now. But i'm in no big hurry. Most of my studio gear is sold now anyways. At one time I loved Reverb, had a five star shop. I sold a lot of gear to players in Australia. Seems they're gear short down under, especially amplifiers. A guitarist from Sidney told me about all they can get now is Fender amps & Laney amps. When ya git settled in, let someone know, i love to music yard sale.
Good Luck jerry

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2022 5:27 pm    

Thanks for your report George. The payment info is what I was wanting to know about. I really couldn't find those details on their Seller's page.

I'm not very willing to dole out banking and other personal information so those details are what was holding me up. I'm still mulling it over.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2022 8:45 pm    

I forgot Reverb was purchased by Esty, pretty much explains their new business practices.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/reverb.com

Quote:
James
6 reviews
US
Rated 1 out of 5 stars
Updated Mar 2, 2022
Reverb *was* great, is now complete trash.
Some of Reverb's many failings include idiotic policies for both sellers and buyers, revamped "payouts" model (that completely ruined Ebay) where they can indefinitely hold a seller's money, a feedback system that favors unethical sellers and penalizes honest reviewers, charging taxes even when beyond their jurisdiction, the worst "customer service" ever experienced, etc.

The list goes on. Typical scenario - new e-commerce site is great, does great - gets sold to faceless, solely profit-driven corporation that destroys it from within. Hello, Ebay - meet Reverb!