The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Change Is Coming To Cakewalk by BandLab
Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2023 11:39 am    

June 06, 2023 BandLab Technologies announced the development of the free, Windows desktop DAW, Cakewalk by BandLab or CbB for short, will be discontinued and replaced by two for pay DAWs, Sonar and Next. Here is a link to the forum announcement https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/58304-introducing-cakewalk-next-and-our-new-brand-identity/.

As can be expected 38 webpages of discussion followed the announcement. Here is a summary of what's known:

* The change is expected to take place around the first of the year (January, 2024)
* Cakewalk Next is new and under development for five years. It's focus is to enable creativity.
* Cakewalk Sonar continues development of the existing platform. It's focus is editing and mixing.
* Cakewalk by BandLab will receive one final update which will remove the authorization requirement.
* Cakewalk Next will work on both Windows and Macintosh operating systems.
* Cakewalk Sonar will work on the Windows 64 bit operating systems.

This webpage has links for both new Cakewalk products, Next and Sonar: https://www.cakewalk.com/
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Christian DeHoyos

Oside California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2023 6:54 am    

I saw this, going to move to Pro Tools intro now.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2023 12:06 pm    

Pro tools is worse. I use it but would not recommend it. The parent company Avid is owned by an investment group that need to see profits every quarter. It's a subscription model so you will lose access to your music if you ever stop paying them. Plus you will be upsold into a higher pay tier if you actually do use it.

I would go with Reaper or any number of other DAWs if I was switching over.

There is no difference in sonic quality between any of the DAWs.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2023 4:27 pm    

I’ve been a Reaper user for a lot of years now and I highly recommend it. I have barely scratched the surface with it, but I don’t think there is anything you can’t do with it.

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2023 5:59 am    

Oh this is annoying! After setting up with Cakewalk some time ago, I haven't touched it for ages and wanted to record something today. Of course I couldnt remember how to set up MIDI and was about to post a question here!

Think I'll save myself the hassle and go with Reaper which as far as I know is "kind-of-free" at the beginning at least!

Thanks for the heads-up

Bayern Hawaiians: https://www.youtube.com/@diebayernhawaiians3062
Other stuff: https://www.youtube.com/@paulseager3796/videos

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2023 9:44 am    

Paul Seager wrote:
Oh this is annoying! After setting up with Cakewalk some time ago, I haven't touched it for ages and wanted to record something today. Of course I couldnt remember how to set up MIDI and was about to post a question here!

Think I'll save myself the hassle and go with Reaper which as far as I know is "kind-of-free" at the beginning at least!

Thanks for the heads-up

You might want to give Studio One a look. It comes in several versions ranging from a free demo to the advanced pro version. It's works very well with MIDI and you can edit the MIDI within Studio One.

RC

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2023 5:56 pm     Updated Cakewalk by Bandlab DAW News

I thought an update to this thread is needed so here is the latest information.

* Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB) was updated earlier this month. The current version is 2023.09 (build 062, 64 bit).

* CbB 2023.09 has more than 60 fixes.

* All prior versions of CbB MUST be updated to version 2023.09. The internet address for the activation server changed and older versions will no longer be able to activate once the current activation has expired. Expired programs are unable to save or export files.

* CbB version 2023.09 does not support offline activation.

* Permanent activation will be available once the two new DAWs are released and CbB depreciated.

* Offline documentation has been updated and is available as a separate download initiated from within version 2023.09.

* Groove3.Com has a new video series of tutorials for CbB. The description page is here: https://www.groove3.com/products/Bandlab-Cakewalk-Getting-Started
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Chris Harwood

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2023 9:01 pm    

I dumped Cakewalk after 10+ years when they sunk their ship...even though picked up by Bandlab and made free.
Went to Presonus Studio One and found I like it better.
I like the faderport integration and overall seems easier to use and has ARA integration and on and on.
Protools is years behind and only offers their hardware integration as a plus. After that, why it's an industry standard is people stuck in their ways and the name.

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 2:36 am    

Yes. Studio One is great. I have been using it for about 4 years and it has been a trouble free experience. The support on the web and YouTube is solid.

Pro Tools was problematic for me and now that they have gone "Subscription," I can't imagine ever considering it again.

Like Apple's early marketing strategy, Pro Tools gave free stuff to all the music schools early on and became the "established" DAW.

I like owning my own software and short circuiting the chance that my work could be held hostage.

Chris Harwood

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 6:37 am    

A forced subscription.... yeah...wouldn't potentially like that. However, this last fall, I finally went with Studio One's monthly...paid a year up front....as in the long run, figured it would be about the same cash outlay and you then get everything Presonus has to offer, minus some 3rd party stuff. Do I need a zillion loops and 50 compressors..a BIG no! But I was also interested in the "Sphere" workgroup, which unfortunately I thought to be a waste of time. Yeah it is easier to colab and share files, but certainly not the only way. Just saves a couple mouse clicks. Finding other musicians was a waste of time.
I will agree that the support is pretty good, mainly because of the Youtubes...and that was a HUGE PLUS. ....but I HAVE to say this. Going to some of the Presonus "event zooms" and their actual forums, I find the Presonus users to be the most pompous ****oles I've ever dealt with, coming from a VERY friendly crowd at Cakewalk. It seems EVERYONE is an expert with Presonus and they let you know it. The zooms were initially good but became a joke where people were either stoned or drunk and thought they were God's answer to computer wizzes and DAW users.

That said... my fadarport dies, I buy a new one the next day. It's like my Helix. TWO pieces of gear in my studio that are insanely great pieces of gear.

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 11:56 am    

Hey Chris!

That's interesting. I have never used those Presonus resources, so I have never run into those issues. Life is just too short to deal with jerks on any forum! Over the years, I have found this forum to be a jerk-free as it gets, except maybe during the Covid Thang.

I have found the plug-ins at Plugin-alliance.com to be economical and good quality. But still, 50 compressors, I am with you on that.

SO PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT! OK, CHRIS!?!

(Well, so much for Jerk Free! Smile Smile HA HA!)

Chris Harwood

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 7:38 pm    

Dan
I want to party with you!!

Smile

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2023 8:02 pm    

Chris Harwood wrote:
A forced subscription.... yeah...wouldn't potentially like that. However, this last fall, I finally went with Studio One's monthly...paid a year up front....as in the long run, figured it would be about the same cash outlay and you then get everything Presonus has to offer, minus some 3rd party stuff. Do I need a zillion loops and 50 compressors..a BIG no! But I was also interested in the "Sphere" workgroup, which unfortunately I thought to be a waste of time. Yeah it is easier to colab and share files, but certainly not the only way. Just saves a couple mouse clicks. Finding other musicians was a waste of time.
I will agree that the support is pretty good, mainly because of the Youtubes...and that was a HUGE PLUS. ....but I HAVE to say this. Going to some of the Presonus "event zooms" and their actual forums, I find the Presonus users to be the most pompous ****oles I've ever dealt with, coming from a VERY friendly crowd at Cakewalk. It seems EVERYONE is an expert with Presonus and they let you know it. The zooms were initially good but became a joke where people were either stoned or drunk and thought they were God's answer to computer wizzes and DAW users.

That said... my fadarport dies, I buy a new one the next day. It's like my Helix. TWO pieces of gear in my studio that are insanely great pieces of gear.

Faderport is a sweet piece of gear. I've got the ioStation 24 (interface with Faderport built in. I've also got a Faderport 16, but I don't use it. It sits in the box. It works great with the 192 interface, but the ioStation is all I need. Doing the one ma. Band thing, I only use one input at a time, rare ocassional I use two, like double micing something.

RC

Chris Harwood

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2023 5:24 am    

When you want to part with the 16 at a "Steel Guitar forum price", lemme know.
I have an 8...and I'd like to upgrade or link them together. I use it constantly, especially to write automation when mixing.