The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "BUDDY EMMONS: Steel Guitar Icon" Arrives September 6, 2022
Fish

Post  Posted 25 Jul 2022 8:35 am    

Hi Miles,

Here’s a teaser for you:

“In 1978 a monster guitar player from Washington, D.C., came to Nashville to cut an instrumental called “Rock Candy.” I hadn’t heard of Danny Gatton before then, and while setting up I asked him about the song we were going to do. He said, “Aw, it’s just a little throwaway blues thing I wrote. You won’t have any problem with it.”

The tempo was such that one more notch on the metronome would have put me out of business. During the first pass, I kept thinking Danny would stop everything, say it was all a joke, and slow it down to the real tempo. But he didn’t. I recently received a CD of the album, Redneck Jazz, and out of curiosity, clocked the tempo on a metronome. It turned out to be 152 beats per minute. At four notes per tick, it’s probably the fastest I’ve ever played on a recording.”

Tomas Enguidanos

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2022 1:43 pm     Great book

Hey Fish,

What a great read, I’m really enjoying the e-book

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 4:28 am    

Got my advance hard copy in the mail a few days ago, but only yesterday realized it had come in, finding it in the pile of mail I had just picked up at the post office. Just read the forward last night and began Chapter 1 which begins with Buddy pulling up to Tootsies in his used Oldsmobile back in 1965. Steve also provides a great timeline of Buddy’s important life events at the book’s beginning. Hoping to dig back in tonight. So excited. Great job Steve. Thanks for sticking with it. By the way, gonna have to track you down at some point to get your thumbprint embossed on it.