The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SC Steel Show
Brian Christiano

Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2022 9:03 am    

Once again we are planning a steel show in Columbia, SC, at Bill's Pickin' Parlor and Music Shop.

The dates are April 30 - May 1

We have not confirmed a 'headliner' for the show but will update when we get a confirmation. Pat Severs along with his long time friend, singer, and song writer, Hank Martin, both SC natives, played the November show. They put on a great performance. We hope to have them back.

We also had a full slate of players from the SE states. We have some great things "in the mill" that you won't want to miss.

We have our first confirmed players for the May show, Ron Kyne with his son, Lil Man are making the trip from Martinsburg, WV to play the show, with Mary Beth, Ron's wife.

We are planning a workshop on Saturday along with a jam session as we always do.

Billy Knowles of Steel Guitar East attended the November show and took home some guitars to "tweak" for their owners.

Kelcey O'Neil brought the prototype Emmons Resound 65 for all of us to play, drool over, and have euphoric dreams of ordering one to our specs. We hope to get Billy & Kelcey back for the May show.

[/b]

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2022 1:01 pm    

Hi Brian, count me in !

thx

Tony Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 13 Mar 2022 1:22 pm     SC Steel Show

Tony Prior wrote:
Hi Brian, count me in !

thx

Tony Very Happy

You are on the list! Look forward to seeing you again.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 13 Mar 2022 5:34 pm     SC Steel Show Update

We are pleased to announce that Pat Severs will once again be our guest artist at the May steel show.

Our lineup is taking shape.
Roger Crawford (GA)
Gary Hart (SC)
Randy McCoy and the McCoy Brothers (SC)
Ron Kyne and Son "Lil Man" (W VA)
Tony Prior (NC)

We are looking for more players and as always attendees to enjoy the fine music. plan to bring some friends.

Roger Crawford will put on a steel workshop on Saturday before our afternoon jam session.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2022 10:44 am     SC Steel Show Update

Still looking for a few more players to fill the schedule on Sunday. Contact me if you are interested.

Bill Nicholson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2022 5:56 pm     SC Steel Show Update

Brian,

Thanks for the email. I plan to attend and play again at this next show on Sunday May 1st. Wish I could make it on Saturday but we have a gig that night. Hope to be there by 11:30 Sunday if all goes well with the drive.

Bill Nicholson

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2022 5:41 am     SC Steel Show Update

Roger Crawford pointed out to me an error in my earlier post regarding the Saturday workshop.

John Swain will be hosting the workshop on Saturday, not.... Roger Crawford.

Roger will be in the lineup for the show on Sunday and you may even see him play some drums to give the band drummer a break.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2022 5:47 am     SC Steel Show Update

Our lineup so far, not in any particular order as yet, includes:

Roger Crawford (GA)
Gary Hart (SC)
Randy McCoy and the McCoy Brothers (SC)
Ron Kyne and Son "Lil Man" (W VA)
Tony Prior (NC)
Bill Nicholson (SC)

Pat Severs will be our guest artist.

We are still looking for more players for the Saturday jam session and for the show on Sunday. Contact me if you are interested in playing.

Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2022 8:13 am     Steel Show/Jam

Brian, I would be interested in attending the Saturday and Sunday event and even joining in on playing my steel as well. "Might even talk my brother Johnny into coming as well", would there be enough space for me/us?

Black Emmons LGIII & LGII, Evans SE-200 Amp, Memory Man Effects Unit, Telonics Volume Pedal, Steelers Choice Seat

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 3 Apr 2022 11:40 am     Re: Steel Show/Jam

Allen Howington wrote:
Brian, I would be interested in attending the Saturday and Sunday event and even joining in on playing my steel as well. "Might even talk my brother Johnny into coming as well", would there be enough space for me/us?

Black Emmons LGIII & LGII, Evans SE-200 Amp, Memory Man Effects Unit, Telonics Volume Pedal, Steelers Choice Seat

Allen, would love to have you both. Look forward to meeting you and hearing you play. If you could send me a setlist so I can give it to the band.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 3 Apr 2022 11:40 am     Re: Steel Show/Jam

Allen Howington wrote:

Allen, would love to have you both. Look forward to meeting you and hearing you play. If you could send me a setlist so I can give it to the band.

Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2022 10:25 am     Phone number

Brian, would you PM me your phone number along with a good time to call you? I just have a few questions.

Thanks

Allen Howington

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 6 Apr 2022 2:16 am     SC Steel Show Update

Just a couple of weeks until the show
It's going to be another great one! Plan to come and bring some friends.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2022 8:16 pm    

Best of luck on the show. I have to be out of town for work but am looking forward to making it over there in the near future.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2022 1:53 pm    

My good friend and bandmate, Brett Crisp , is coming out to play on the Sunday show as well. You will really enjoy Brett !

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2022 12:30 am    

Coming up in less than 2 weeks. If you are anywhere within distance of Columbia SC, take the ride, its worth it.

Brian put together a fine show and Bob Strickland's band is top notch .

It a fine time for excellent Steel guitar music and a very good social time.

I believe I'm playing an early set and I am trying to get my wife Bonne to come sing a few, but we both had very mild Covid a few months back and her voice has not fully returned.

My buddy and now and then bandmate Brett Crisp is bringing one of the new Emmons Steels, he has a fine set prepared.

Come on out and enjoy the show !

tp

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2022 8:49 am     SC Steel Show Almost Here!

We are right around the corner from one of the best SC Steel Guitar shows. The lineup is awesome and people are excited about attending.

Brett Crisp, Tony Prior, Johnny and Allen Howington, Gary Hart, Bill Nicholson, Roger Crawford, The McCoy Brothers featuring Randy and Steve McCoy, along with our guest artist Pat Severs who will be joined by vocalist, Hank Martin lead singer with the Second Nature beach band.

There will be catered food to purchase as well as hot dogs, chips, and much more.

Johnny Howington

Lillington, NC
Post  Posted 6 May 2022 3:34 am     Steel jam

We had a great time at the Steel Guitar Jam in South Carolina! My brother Allen Howington asked me about 5 or 6 weeks ago if I wanted to go with him. We have not had much time together lately so it turned out to be a great time to spend with my brother! Steel guitar is something we both love so without a doubt we had a great time. Time to talk, reflect and just talk about steel guitar! I wanted to thank those that put this show together and all the hard work of the organizers and the great band that provided much of the music. Very seldom do both of us have a weekend that we are not playing gigs somewhere! This was the perfect date because it was one of dates neither one of us was playing. It was nice meeting some very nice people and getting to know some other steel guitar players. We also got to see the amazing new Emmons Steel Guitar and to here a great player demonstrating it. Man it is an awesome beast of tone and looks amazing! Brett did a great job and man can he play the steel guitar on both necks!! Just amazing to watch a professional perform! I would also like to thank those that drove a long distance just to see us play. Very much appreciated! Hope it works out that we can go back and support the people trying to keep the Steel Guitar alive!! Thanks to you all for a great weekend!!

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 7 May 2022 4:49 am     SC Steel Show post analysis

If you missed this event, you missed a great one.

And we can officially say we have gone International1 A couple from Vancouver, BC, came to see the show. They are traveling across the US and one of the items on his bucket list was to see a Steel Guitar Convention, so they stopped to see the SC Steel Guitar Convention! How cool is that!

Here are some pictures from the show. We did not get any pictures of Johnny Howington or Allen Howington playing on stage. I believe that was my fault, and I am sorry. They did a great job.

Brett Crisp

Emmons Resound 65 Serial #001. What a great sounding instrument.

Gary Hart playing and singing gospel. Gary is from Belton, SC.

Tony Prior from Charlotte, NC.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 7 May 2022 5:02 am     SC Steel Show Update

Bill Nicholson, from Fair Play, SC, always does an awesome job on his Mullen, D12.

Now, some of you may ask, "Where is Fair Play, SC?"
Well according to Wikipedia, "Fair Play is a census-designated place located in Oconee County in the U.S. state of South Carolina. A small portion of the CDP extends into Anderson County. As of the 2010 census, the population of Fair Play was 687."
Fair Play is just off I-85, right on the GA/SC border, very near Lake Hartwell.

Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2022 6:34 am     Allen & Johnny Howington

Here is a picture of my brother, Johnny Howington, playing his Emmons on stage at "Bills Pickin' Parlor". He did such a great job and I'm so proud of him...

Love you bro'

...and wearing his Red Emmons T-shirt along with his Black John Deere hat is the old man of the Howington brothers, Allen. Enjoyed our time meeting everyone and making new friends. Thanks Brian for a great steel guitar show..........