The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quality Backing Track Playback?
Lefty Schrage

West Union, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2022 8:03 am    

As I begin to use backing tracks for accompanying live steel guitar in church and other small venues, I have been wondering what's best to use for quality playback. To those of you who are doing this or something similar, what amplification system do you use that makes your tracks sound great?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2022 2:01 am    

In church, if they have a sound system, plug the TRACKS player into that. But it will require some co-ordination between you and whoever pushes the PLAY button.

Outside of church perhaps the most common method is a small PA or powered PA speakers where you can plug in your MUSIC PLAYER directly and run it from your seat.

However, there are no rules, you can run the tracks thru your STEEL AMP but you may not like it, especially if its a single channel amp.

These days , POWERED Speakers seem to be the call of the day. I bought a used one from GC for less than $100 several years back, I think its 200 watts rated. I never got around to buying a 2nd one. For a room or outside venue, two would be preferred.

Have fun!

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Lefty Schrage

West Union, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2022 7:50 am    

Thanks for taking the time to respond Tony! I find your thoughts very helpful. I may opt for a small powered speaker.
...lefty

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2022 8:48 am    

I sometimes use my Spark amp and an iPad. I guess any Bluetooth speaker would work as well.

Lefty Schrage

West Union, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2022 9:58 am    

Thanks Ed. I don't know much about a Spark amp but may look into it as a possibility.

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 19 May 2022 4:05 pm    

For years I played my backing tracks through a nice EV set up, but had to sell it during the 2008 debacle. Today I would definitely go the powered speaker route. Less equipment to tote around.

I don't know this for a fact, but have heard that you get better sound out of your backing tracks using a cord instead of BT. I've done both and haven't noticed any difference, but if it was run through a larger PA, maybe....?

I also use an app on my phone for a music player. That way I can control the "play" button.