The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mark Knopfler – "Love and happiness" resophonic?
Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2022 12:07 pm    

I'm looking to buy a roundneck resophonic, but I'm not sure where to begin.

My ideal tone is something like Chet Atkins's Del Vecchio (the one he played on his instrumental version of "The Boxer" and many others), but they are as expensive as they are rare. So I'm aiming for the tone on Mark Knopfler's and Emmylou's duet "Love and Happiness" – really warm, clear and gentle.

What kind of reso guitar would produce such a sound? Mark Knopfler usually plays a metal body guitar with a bisquit bridge, which I associate more with a brash, rattly and bluesy tone (which is NOT for me) – is that really what he's playing on that record? Or where else should I start looking? I'm thinking maple body/spider bridge, but I may be totally wrong.

Any suggestions in the $500-1000 range?

(There are no music stores nearby that carry reso guitars of any kind, so not much chance of shopping around).

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2022 7:32 pm    

The internet -- which is never wrong -- says that Dan Dugmore or Paul Franklin were the steel players on that album. Don't know which one played on that particular track you mentioned. But either way... it probably isn't Knopfler's resonator guitar you're hearing.

I don't think it's a Weissenborn on the Emmy Lou track, but based on the warm sound you said you prefer, you might be a Weissenborn guy more than a resonator guy. Here's a few seconds of Greg Leisz messing around with one:
https://youtu.be/y4-AYmQs2qs?t=106

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2022 11:03 pm    

Nope, I don't think it's a Weissenborn (they sound too thin) – and it's definitely a fretted guitar, so we can rule out Franklin and Dugmore. The playing style is very much Knopfler's own.

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2022 6:56 am    

Liner notes on the CD for "All The Roadrunning" list Mark Knopfler and Richard Bennett on guitars. (Emmylou Harris acoustic guitar on "Rollin' On" and "Belle Starr")

Dan Dugmore listed as acoustic guitar on "If This Is Goodbye" and "Love and Happiness", pedal steel on "Rollin' On" and "Beyond My Wildest Dreams", six-string bass on "Belle Starr"

Paul Franklin pedal steel on "This Is Us"

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2022 8:12 am    

So maybe it is Dan Dugmore playing that part, not Mark K. Anyone know what type of roundneck reso Dan D is using?

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2022 10:43 am    

If you would like a tone like Chet got from his resonator guitars. The only thing that's going to work for you is a Delvecchio.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2022 11:01 am    

I know, but a Del Vecchio is not a realistic proposition – hardly any come up for sale, and if they do, they cost an arm and a leg. That is why I'm looking for "second best", as stated in my original post.

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2022 8:32 am    

It all depends on how much time you want to spend on looking for a Delvecchio. I have found two in my searches lowest price $75.00 highest price $175.00. My dream was always to go to Sao Paulo and pick one up from the factory but of course that never happened.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2022 8:45 am    

Maybe you can find one in the US, but definitely not over here. Never seen one for sale this side of the big puddle – and I've been looking for a decade or more. As far as I've heard, they are also known to be quite temperamental and in need of expert set-up, so I would not consider a cheap fixer-upper.