The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Double operating knee lever
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2022 8:02 am    

Many many years ago (1971), my mentor, Mac Atcheson, devised a way to make a single knee lever swing to the left and to the right.
This was great for E9 LKR and C6 LKL. Both changes could work with one knee lever, with a couple of bellcranks and a little locking mechanism.

This has never been released, but since Mac is no longer with us, I am making this public.

It not only saves space, but also the cost of an additional knee lever kit.

Here are the plans:

I hope these will benefit some of you working on steels.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2022 10:15 am    

Very Cool Bill

Barry

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2022 7:24 pm    

A 'U' shaped lever would allow LKL and LKR without having to move your knee to the other side of the lever I would imagine (having never played a D-10!)...

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2022 6:28 am    

"A 'U' shaped lever would allow LKL and LKR without having to move your knee to the other side of the lever"

That would take up more space than 2 separate knee levers and I don't believe that you could fold that up to put the steel in it's case.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2022 6:40 am    

Bill I had one similar in 1976 ! John Babirad looked at my Emmons and designed an even simpler method to allow LKR to also work as C6 LKL.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2022 6:57 am    

Yep, makes sense Bill, but it could be removable...

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2022 9:20 am    

A U shaped knee lever could be folded 90 degrees, Upward and toward the front of the guitar, So it would fit in case.

Some sort of spring loaded pin lock could be used, To hold the U shaped knee lever in position, Pull pin to unlock the knee lever and fold up for travel.

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2022 6:36 pm    

Wow.
A multi-use lever, could even be used on the same neck. It also looks like something that could help someone with a handycap, pending on which way the lever is pointing.
....Pat