The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  palm lever LOWER i built
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2022 2:02 pm    

plenty of palm lever raises out there. i needed a LOWER, so i just took some aluminum, a piece of steel rod, a spring, and a handle off a 50 cent kitchen utensil from a thrift store and you can see how i put it all together. all you need is a drill and the metal. it works great as shown here on just a piece of 2x4. i will get around to installing it on a lap guitar sometime along with some hip shot raises. i want to be able to drop 1/2 tone and then another 1/2 tone. a half stop spring under the handle will give a 1/2 tone stop if i need it.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VztAko0sGAg

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2022 3:33 pm    

Quote:
i want to be able to drop 1/2 tone and then another 1/2 tone. a half stop spring under the handle will give a 1/2 tone stop if i need it.

Are you talking about a compression spring? I'm trying to engineer a 1/2 stop for a pedal steel I'm working on, and struggled to find any pictures or descriptions of how these work. Any ideas appreciated! My steel is pretty low tech, changer is pull release type. It is nothing like some of the mechanical marvels others are building here.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 2:53 am    

Tim Toberer wrote:
Quote:
i want to be able to drop 1/2 tone and then another 1/2 tone. a half stop spring under the handle will give a 1/2 tone stop if i need it.

Are you talking about a compression spring? I'm trying to engineer a 1/2 stop for a pedal steel I'm working on, and struggled to find any pictures or descriptions of how these work. Any ideas appreciated! My steel is pretty low tech, changer is pull release type. It is nothing like some of the mechanical marvels others are building here.

Yes to the compression spring. You just want the feel of the spring resistance at the half stop and then moving past that for the other half. There are several types of adjustable pedal guitar half stops. You should start a new topic and get some info.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 9:18 am    

Ok, that's what I thought. You have some great ideas!!