The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best reasonably priced mic for recording steel?
John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 1:08 pm    

Hi Guys,

I just got a Behringer AI for Christmas and have been learning how to use it and tried to record my first steel song w/backing track on Cakewalk (which I am still learning). The steel sounds flat, no lows... I don't want to invest in preamps, EQ's, etc. I have the Behringer UMC-204HD fed from my Nashville 1000 amp line out. The amp EQ controls don't seem to make that much of a difference. Is there a good mic to use that anyone would recommend instead of using the line out from the amp? Is the issue with me not knowing how to set up the EQ in Cakewalk properly? TY for the time to reply.

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 2:13 pm    

Senheiser e609 is a very good mic for amps and even works well for dobro or acoustic guitar. It’s low priced, nothing fancy but I’ve found it very useful for recording or live applications.

Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 2:35 pm    

Thanks!

John

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 3:11 pm    

Big fan of the Sennheiser MD 421ii ... Very transparent, so that what you hear is what you get.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 4:16 pm    

Thanks Dale! I found a new one for cheap!

John

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 4:25 pm    

The 421 has been my go to forever and I own everything from 57’s to original Neumann U47’s….

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 4:41 pm    

John Sims wrote:
Thanks Dale! I found a new one for cheap!

How cheap… I might need a second 😉
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 5:45 pm    

$65.00 I hope it's not a fake!
https://www.lameby.com/product/sennheiser-md421-ii-microphone/

John

Mike Auman

North Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 7:57 pm    

John Sims wrote:
Hmmm... a $400 mic that goes for $300+ used, offered in new condition for $65 on a website that sells dresses, power tools and musical instruments. What could possibly go wrong?

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 9:26 pm    

The line out on the amp is probably pre eq, which is why you don't hear a lot of difference. Are you adding some reverb and/or delay to the steel track? My experience has been that while there's some difference in mics, it's not a drastic difference. Could you be missing something in the process of how you set up the recording? The learning curve is somewhat frustrating, but enjoyable at the same time. I've learned a little, but I'm just scratching the surface. I hope you'll let us hear some of your work.

RC

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 4:42 am    

Mike Auman wrote:
John Sims wrote:
Hmmm... a $400 mic that goes for $300+ used, offered in new condition for $65 on a website that sells dresses, power tools and musical instruments. What could possibly go wrong?

I was thinking the same thing Mike! I'll "return it":... Whoa! Very Happy Shocked or, I'll give it to my grandkids!

John

Last edited by John Sims on 1 Feb 2022 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 4:45 am    

Rick Campbell wrote:
The line out on the amp is probably pre eq, which is why you don't hear a lot of difference. Are you adding some reverb and/or delay to the steel track? My experience has been that while there's some difference in mics, it's not a drastic difference. Could you be missing something in the process of how you set up the recording? The learning curve is somewhat frustrating, but enjoyable at the same time. I've learned a little, but I'm just scratching the surface. I hope you'll let us hear some of your work.

RC

Thanks Rick! I will take a look at the schematic and try to see if the line out is pre-EQ but I doubt it since I can hear the delay and reverb. I have my reverb and delay in the post pre-amp loop. Maybe it's just some adjustments in Cakewalk rather than leaving the software controls alone at their original settings...

John

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 5:24 am    

My impression is that recording direct out of the back of your amp just doesn’t sound good. Pickup a shure 57 and put it in front of the speaker. If it doesn’t sound good move it a little. You won’t need to screw around with computer tricks that never quite work to fix it that way.

The best studios in the world use Shure 57’s . They sound great and you can hammer nails with them. Used ones can be had for $60.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 6:21 am    

Great advice! Thank you Bob!

John

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 7:28 am    

That website also has a Neumann 103 for about the same price. Hard to believe. They list a physical address in Austin on their website. The address comes up as an outdoor music venue called the Texas Music Ranch.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 7:53 am    

John Macy wrote:
That website also has a Neumann 103 for about the same price. Hard to believe. They list a physical address in Austin on their website. The address comes up as an outdoor music venue called the Texas Music Ranch.

Maybe I'll get lucky John Laughing Rolling Eyes

John

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 7:57 am    

Keep us posted!!

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 8:06 am    

I certainly will!

John

Tim Kowalski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 1:04 pm    

I second the SM57 suggestion.
Buy it NEW from a reputable source like Sweetwater of Musicians Friend for around 100.00
I would not recommend buying used since there are so many fakes out of China in circulation.
I bought a used 57 from a forum member which turned out to be a fake. I very seriously doubt that they knew it was a copy, so I just called it a lesson learned.
It was functional, but it sounds tinny compared to a legitimate Shure.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 1:12 pm    

Tim Kowalski wrote:
I second the SM57 suggestion.
Buy it NEW from a reputable source like Sweetwater of Musicians Friend for around 100.00
I would not recommend buying used since there are so many fakes out of China in circulation.
I bought a used 57 from a forum member which turned out to be a fake. I very seriously doubt that they knew it was a copy, so I just called it a lesson learned.
It was functional, but it sounds tinny compared to a legitimate Shure.

Thanks Tim! I ordered one from Sweetwater. It seems like a real workhorse and perfect for mic'ing amps!

John

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 1:44 pm    

If you are using Cakewalk, take some time and watch this person mix a song. He really knows how to use Cakewalk. He has a bunch of videos on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBbiDG0j2xc

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 2:57 pm    

Thank you Norman!

John

Ethan Shaw

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2022 10:28 am    

+1 for Bob Hoffnar's advice. 57's will take you far.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2022 4:51 pm    

I’ve had it on my to do list for a while to track an entire song (all drum mics, bass cab, piano, guitars and vocals) with only 57’s just for fun and to see. I don’t think it would become common practice for me, but I bet it’s not quite as far away as I would like it be!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2022 1:51 am    

The problem with tracking using a single mic is that its built-in response - in the case of the 57 a presence peak to favour vocals - becomes multiplied so that the finished result sounds tinny.

Use more than one mic, or something really flat.
The 57 is a remarkable design and you can use it on anything, but not everything Smile