The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help with Para Pedal with Adjustable Q
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2022 9:03 am    

Folks,
I’d like to add a Parametric EQ pedal WITH adjustable Q functionality to my chain. So far I’ve found the units below and would appreciate any feedback some of you have had with these or others that I haven’t found yet.

PLEASE ONLY discuss devices that have ADJUSTABLE Q functionality.

-Empress Para-EQ Pedal ( adjustable Q, wish there was a leaner version)
(35Hz-20kHz)

-METRIC Parametric EQ Pedal (leaner than the Empress, but is it quiet/transparent?). (70Hz-7kHz)

-WMD Utility Parametric Pedal ( might be the one, but is it quiet/transparent?)
(40Hz-15kHz)

-Guyatone Parametric Pedal. (Might be the one, but is it quiet/transparent?)
(70Hz-5000Hz)

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Last edited by Marty Broussard on 9 Jan 2022 10:50 am; edited 4 times in total

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2022 9:34 am    

I have the WMD. I discovered, with this and with a couple of other units (JHS Colour Box is one), that this is just not the direction I want to go for sound shaping. But IMO it is quiet and transparent. I have been meaning to put these on the market so if you want to talk, email or PM me. Both are as new in box (I think -- I'll need to examine them closely for any surface blems which I'll do later.)

Brian Saulsman

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2022 7:11 pm    

There is also this: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=377063

I have one and use it but am mostly a banjo player so I don’t feel qualified to evaluate it.

All the best
Brian Saulsman

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2022 7:50 am    

Tech 21 Q/Strip is good.
I have one I would sell for $210. shipped.

https://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/q-strip/

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2022 8:36 am    

I have an Empress ParaEQ with boost, and use it periodically. It's a very good unit, but as you note, it takes up a fair amount of real estate on a small pedal board. I would probably prefer that the Q be continuously variable with a pot rather than a 3-position switch. But it is also easier to dial in and replicate settings with the switches.

I haven't really needed it for pedal steel, but for acoustic instruments - guitar, dobro, or other acoustic slide or steel instruments - it comes in very handy. It sounds transparent to me, as long as it's not used extremely. To me, the less external EQ used, the better. But sometimes it's just needed.

When playing bluegrass years ago, I sometimes used an Ashly rack-mounted parametric EQ. That worked great for that application, which was dealing with a mic'd guitar and all the crazy resonances and feedback implicit with that situation. Before I got that unit, I was pulling my hair out trying to get a decent sound without monitors feeding back. Expecting sound guys to get it done was wishful thinking. It had a lot of bands, but it was usually just 1 or 2 that were really bad.

A graphic EQ is easier to use, but IMO less flexible and not as surgical as a good multi-band parametric. I have also found that graphics tend to be noisier owing to many multiple parallel preamps in the chain.

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2022 4:52 am    

The Source Audio EQ2 could be considered too. Its default configuration is a graphic EQ but you can vary both the frequency and Q for each of the 20 channels of the device (if I remember right). That makes it a very powerful and outstanding parametric EQ. It's all programmable with at least 100 possible settings and GUI from either PC or cell phone or the device itself.

It's extremely quiet and has about the best audio specs you'll find. It's stereo with the option to gang all 20 channels into mono. It also has an optional noise gate and a tuner.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2022 5:44 am    

Thank all of you for the comments!!

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Mitchell Smithey

Dallas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2022 6:59 pm    

Marty, I agree with Steve about the Source Audio EQ. Small footprint and sounds great. Even has a tuner. Oh it stores settings too.
The Empress is great. the tech 21 is great, but they are big.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 13 Jan 2022 8:21 pm    

Steve & Mitch,
Thank you for your input. I am looking at it now. Thanks again.

Kevin Cartwright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2022 6:07 pm     Para eq

If you can find a D-Tar Equinox, that’s a fully variable parametric with high and low filters too. It’s half-rack size, but full studio quality. I use one with upright, especially when it gets loud!

Kevin Cartwright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2022 7:38 pm     Para eq

Note - there is a D-Tar Equinox on eBay at the moment, currently at $132.

KC

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2022 7:47 pm    

Thank you, Kevin. I’ll check it out.