The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Can I bypass NV1000 chassis and use speaker with preamp?
Roger Robinson

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2022 10:08 pm    

I have 2 Nashville 1000 amps with stock BW speakers. I have an Evans ESPA preamp in a 3U rack with a Monoprice 605030 power amplifier and TC M-One XL effects.

Is there a way to bypass the NV1000 chassis and connect the preamp system output to the speakers in the NV cabinets?

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2022 12:13 am    

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish.
Do you want to use just the speakers in the NV1000 cabinet?
If so, simply disconnect them from the NV1000 power amp and connect them to your Monoprice power amp.
Alternately, If you want to use your rack preamp to drive the NV1000 power amp bypassing the NV1000 preamp, I found this on the Peavey website:
"The POWER AMP IN jack was designed for plugging in effects units in cases where
you'd prefer to bypass the EQ section of the amplifier so you could use the EQ settings from your
effects processor. Plugging into this jack makes the amp work like a slave unit, using only the
power amp and speaker and bypassing the amps EQ section."

Roger Robinson

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2022 3:24 am    

I'm wanting to use the NV1000 as just a speaker cabinet only for output from the premap.

I'm currently using 12" speakers from the preamp. I wanted to try 15". If they sound good, I might look for some 15" cabinets and pull the speakers from the NV1000 cabinets.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2022 5:41 am    

A "Preamp" requires a power amplifier to feed a speaker. Do you only have a "Preamp" or do you have a full amp - Preamp and power amp?

If you only have a "preamp" then you need the power amp (power amp in) in the Nashville 1000.

If you have a full amp, you will have to physically disconnect the speaker leads from the Nashville 1000 amp and connect your amp to the physical speaker connections. There is NO jack for just connecting to the speaker.

Roger Robinson

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2022 5:48 am    

I have the preamp and the Monoprice power amp. I'll look at the speakers to see what is needed to make a connection.

Thanks for all the information.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2022 6:15 am    

Roger, from my NV1000 the speaker is hard wired in. To use as you stated I would disconnect the wires at the speaker itself and make a patch cable from 16 gage zip cord with a 1/4 inch mono jack on the end for my power amp. I do this all the time to try different speakers. If you want to get really creative you could wire in a switching jack, but for testing purposes the zip cord will be used.
Your post said preamp. You have to use the power amp out of your Monoprice as Jack Stoner pointed out. Amazon sells cables already made if you lack the skills or soldering equipment. I would go for a longer cable length 10-15 feet.

Roger Robinson

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2022 6:38 am    

I've never done any 'good' soldering. I found the cables pictured on Amazon. I'll start with that.

What type of switching jack are you using? I'm not familiar with those.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2022 7:28 am    

Before proceeding further, you might try connecting the pre-amp and effects unit ONLY to the "Power Amp In" feature on the rear panel of the '1000' using an ordinary instrument cord, (this eliminates the amp's pre-amp section and utilizes the power amp and speaker only). After experiencing a problem with the pre-amp in my 'Nashville 112' I began using this same method with good results.

Roger Robinson

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2022 7:56 am    

That will get me started sooner since I don't have the patch cables yet. I'll try that after work this evening.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2022 8:45 am    

I'd do this also:
David Nugent wrote:
Before proceeding further, you might try connecting the pre-amp and effects unit ONLY to the "Power Amp In" feature on the rear panel of the '1000 Neutral ' using an ordinary instrument cord, (this eliminates the amp's pre-amp section and utilizes the power amp and speaker only). After experiencing a problem with the pre-amp in my 'Nashville 112' I began using this same method with good results.

If you end up loving the sound of the 15" speaker, but want a lighter stereo rig, you could just pull both chassis out of of the Nashville 1000s, though you'd probably be better off selling them and buying a pair of more compact 15" cabs. Pairs go up for sale here fairly often.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2022 9:05 am    

David Nugent wrote:
Before proceeding further, you might try connecting the pre-amp and effects unit ONLY to the "Power Amp In" feature on the rear panel of the '1000' using an ordinary instrument cord, (this eliminates the amp's pre-amp section and utilizes the power amp and speaker only). After experiencing a problem with the pre-amp in my 'Nashville 112' I began using this same method with good results.

Agreed.
I used to do this sometimes at regional steel shows. I'd use my Stereo Steel rig and plug in to the house NV400s power amp in.
That way I could use my rack beside me for tweaks and patches.

If you do this, you'd have to bypass your Monoprice power amp though. Don't want to stack power amps.

Roger Robinson

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2022 7:56 pm    

It worked !!

I connected the NV1000 amp to the Evans preamp using a cable to the poweramp in on the NV1000 and it worked great. I did pull the power cord to the Monoprice poweramp in the rack just to be sure I didn't mess anything up.

Thanks for all the information.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2022 6:04 pm    

Roger, no surprise it worked. I have used mine this way and my Session 400. But they are quite heavy to haul.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2022 7:49 am    

What's wrong with the two NV 1000 amps? Are they broken? They should certainly be better than the cheapie Monoprice power amp.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2022 3:00 pm    

All you have to do is plug into the "power amp in" socket on the back - works a treat ....

I used to run my Sarno Revelation preamp into my NV1000 in this manner - just makes the NV into a powered speaker cabinet only and bypasses the preamp altogether !!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.