The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ngd!
Thomas Bray

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2022 1:47 pm    

My birthday is still a couple-ish weeks away, but my wife's birthday gift to me arrived!

As much as I want to plug it in and fill the house with sound, I think I should run to the butcher shop and make her favorite dinner in appreciation.

(But after we eat...)

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2022 1:51 pm    

Sweet! Have fun with it, you will become addicted. Cool

Thomas Bray

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2022 9:51 pm     What about a case?

Hey, does anyone have an idea on where I could get a protective case for this sucker? I can't go too extravagant from here, my best half went overboard for me this year, and I'm on a fixed County pension!

One route I thought of, is taking a Les Paul case my son left here, gutting it, then remaking the inside to hug this fittingly Gibson style guitar, but I'd rather stay out of the workshop and put my spare time toward learning to play. Plus, because of its cool shape, the weight of the case would be off center, considerably so.

Ideas, links, recommendations all welcome!

Mike McBride

Indiana
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2022 11:14 pm    

Looks cool! Tell us what make/model please

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2022 5:23 am     Re: What about a case?

Thomas Bray wrote:
Hey, does anyone have an idea on where I could get a protective case for this sucker?

Some of my white Ultratones often reside in either VISM padded rifle bags:

Or else Gretsch lap steel gig bags:

Thomas Bray

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2022 6:30 am    

Mike McBride wrote:
Looks cool! Tell us what make/model please

Thanks, Mike! The guitar is a Dan Armstrong model LSG-TRY-CRM, which accompanying photos say came with a Kent Armstrong (brother?) P90. This was listed as a prototype, the pickup replaced with a CJLabs SETbucker, a slightly redesigned humbucker that has 3 distinct voices. My next guitar will feature a set of these pickups, which I'd not heard of before. I love them!

The guitar was listed as a CJLabs prototype, and I couldn't find any info on it, so I'll include a photo of the info supplied by the seller. Dan Armstrong was famous for designing the first acrylic guitars in the late 60's. He passed away in 2004, so I would guess the guitar was manufactured sometime between that span. I can't tell by the paint, since it has a new lacquer finish from when the instrument was modified.

The body is modeled after a 1940's era Gibson BR2 lap steel.

Peter Huggins

Van Nuys, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2022 9:37 am    

Kent Armstrong is the son of Dan Armstrong. He has the rights to his fathers name and I’m sure he is the one behind this product. I was fortunate to know Dan and develop a friendship with him. I am not aware of any lap or pedal steel guitars built by Dan himself.

Thomas Bray

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2022 2:06 pm    

Peter Huggins wrote:
Kent Armstrong is the son of Dan Armstrong. He has the rights to his fathers name and I’m sure he is the one behind this product. I was fortunate to know Dan and develop a friendship with him. I am not aware of any lap or pedal steel guitars built by Dan himself.

That makes more sense to me, considering the like new condution of the body. I wish I could find somw history on it. Tonight I'll post the description from my purchase tonight. I remember it mentioned the manufacturer under contract (Sky?).

I'll have to try finding info under Kent. Not that it matters, other than knowing the story of the instrument, which is always cool.