The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Girl From Guam - vintage Hawaiian combo
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2022 8:08 pm    

I've been corresponding with Rose Force about the old open A tuning (bass to treble E A E A C# E), and she sent me this lovely photo of her mother, aunt and grandfather in a combo called The Girl From Guam.

"My aunt's name was Ruth Clare Warren. Of course she is pictured with the steel. My mother, on the left, Leslie Allyn Warren, the handsome gentleman in the back, Ward Julian Warren. They performed under the name The Girl from Guam. My aunt was born on a naval base. (My mother was born in Cuba, likewise a naval base. My grandfather was a merchant marine). They toured through the United States. My grandfather would service the printing presses in the states they traveled in. Most all. My aunt taught in cooperation with the Oahu Publishing company. I have never heard any better player. She could make a grown man cry. It is a heartbreak that there were not recordings of her playing.

"That tuning, is never heard properly for what it was worth. Of course she genius (no instrument she couldn’t pick up and play) would add embellishments of her own. My grandfather constructed (I have an article somewhere) of the first, or at least one of the very first, recreational vehicles, in which they traveled. They did the vaudville circuit. Most notably the gem theaters which were everywhere. They were very ornate and plushy. It was a very prestigious gig. They were offered the Fox circuit, but my mother fell in love with my father, they eloped, and it broke up the act. Weren’t they comely? I’ve never seen a more attractive Hawaiian guitar act from the era. (Or any other, I might add! Hohoho)"

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2022 8:15 am    

That's great, Brad! Thanks for posting this history. I love reading about the many talented people who performed in that Era, many who never had the chance to record.

Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2022 8:50 am    

Great story Brad. I am still amazed at just how popular the steel guitar was in its heyday. It would have been great to be able to hear some of these players play. I am sure they would have inspired us all!