The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mickey Guyton Dec. 1 at the Rockefeller Center Tree Ceremony
Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2022 11:04 am    

Who is the steel player with Mickey Guyton performing Dec. 1 at the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony?

Looks like his 3rd pedal rod is mounted at an angle towards the pickup end. I've never seen this arrangement. Any body have details?

Bill

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mickey-guyton-on-being-a-black-woman-in-country-music-racism-sexism-233808728.html

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2022 3:56 pm    

I guess something broke, and he just wanted the remaining 3 pedals together. Oh Well

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2022 5:34 pm    

I think it's a rental rig for video purposes and not an actual player, his seat is also backwards...just an opinion.

Philippe Bronchtein

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2022 8:28 pm    

Hey Bill,

That's me up there! I back-lined a steel that was, unfortunately, not in ideal condition. In the middle of the song the C rod fell off while I was playing.

As far as the seat being backwards. The changeover on those kind of TV things is really chaotic. Stage hands place everything and and then it's go go go. A stage hand must have placed it backwards.

I assure you that i am in fact a real player though. No secret set up or any clever rod adjustment. Just a bad rental, a chaotic changeover, and the ever watchful eye of the forum.

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 6 Jan 2022 8:34 pm    

We’ll that’s actually good news! A steel guitarist being utilized by a new upcoming artist.. maybe more will follow!

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2022 7:33 pm    

Hi Philippe,

Thanks for responding, you looked good up there - great smile Smile

I should have guessed about the rods. I play an 82 Emmons out with no return springs and the rods are forever falling off at the top. I spend a lot of time laying on the floor with a flashlight between songs and getting accused of looking up the singer's dress Whoa!

I have a cross shaft set screw on the 6 lower that is always coming loose too; more laying on my back during gig... Sure love those vintage instruments. That's the way I set my seat too. I lay the open top against the steel...

Bill

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2022 7:39 pm    

As they say” experience is something you get just after you really needed it”! It’s never a good idea to backline your guitar because they’re too personal, lately I’ve even decided to decline playing someone else’s because of the same reasons. You get one opportunity to make a good first impression so don’t ruin it for yourself.