The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chubby Howard
David Zornes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2021 8:05 am    

I have just learned that my good friend and mentor Chubby Howard passed away this morning. Please remember his family in your prayers. Bless his heart-the good Lord gave him to us for 96 1/2 years.

Tony Rankin

Land O’ Lakes, FL
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2021 8:10 am    

Sad news. I was proud to call Chubby a friend. Condolences to Tony and the rest of the family.

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2021 10:28 am    

Chubby was inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2015; was he ever proud!

RIP Chubby!!

Michael Greer

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2021 11:28 am    

Condolences to son Tony Howard and all the family.

I looked forward to Chubbys steel show in the fall and have fond memories of the shows I was able to attend.

I loved the story Chubby would tell of his first steel guitar and how he made a life for his family and himself playing the steel .

Rest in peace Chubby.

Dan Galysh

Hendersonville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2021 12:02 pm    

I am very saddened to hear of this. He was a friend and someone I admired very much. I was a long-time listener to his show on Real Roots Radio. My condolences to Tony and family.

Andy Gibson

Tennessee USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2021 12:14 pm    

Chubby taught me how to do bar slams. He used to come see me play at the bluegrass Inn when I was playing 8 string no pedals back in 99. He loved to sit in and play my fender dual pro. He was the first steel player to help me out and befriend me. I've missed him ever since

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2021 3:47 pm    

Oh no! He was a Great Guy and one of the first Great Steel Guitarists that I heard. Another Steel Guitar Hall of Fame Legend gone! RIP Chubby

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2021 4:58 pm    

Sorry to hear this. Chubby was a mainstay at all the regional shows in this area. Always entertaining personality as well as fine player. RIP.

dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2021 5:28 pm     Chubby

R.I.P Chubby it was a pleasure knowing you, my condolences to his Family

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2021 5:37 pm    

This is such hard news. Chubby was and will always be a cherished pedal steel friend and steel guitar icon to me. I loved his recordings with Shot Jackson on a Sho-Bud steel guitar. RIP dear friend!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2021 6:58 pm    

I admired Chubby and enjoyed his music. My prayers for his friends and family.

Ed Javner

Mt. View Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2021 7:11 pm     Chubby

Saturday mornings won't be the same. RSP

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2021 7:21 pm    

Sad news indeed. Chubby was a great man, steel player, and friend. He will be missed. Prayers to all his family..

Price Porter

Marble Falls, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2021 8:58 pm     Chubby Howard has passed

Sadness in texas upon hearing of chubby passing.He was so encouraging,kind and helpful to me,with my steel guitar career. Rest In Peace Mr.Howard

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2021 12:05 am    

Oh no, this is really sad. Another great player and human being gone.

RIP, Chubby!

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria

John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2021 5:44 am     Chubby

Sad news indeed. A truly great man and musician..He will be missed.RIP

Sandra Scott-Wall

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2021 7:30 am    

Sad news indeed. Chubby was inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2015. Prayers to his family. RIP Chubby.

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2021 8:06 am    

I heard him play a set at Scottys in 1985 and was very impressed with his playing. If I recall his set was called Nashville Saturday Nite, and he shared the stage with another great player whos name escapes me at the moment. I taped his portion on my little cassette player. Could someone who knew him and his career well, give a brief rundown of who and where he played throughout the years? I'd appreciate it!

Danny Hammers

Danny & Patricia of Floral City, Florida formerly of Fairdale KY.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2021 9:44 am     Ray

RIP old friend, I am going to miss you

Chubby's Arrangements

All times are EST.

The family of Ray “Chubby” Howard invites you to join in celebrating and remembering a life lived to the fullest. All are welcome.

Visitation: Monday, January 3, 2022, 5:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m., Anderson Funeral Home, 1357 East Second Street, Franklin, Ohio

Funeral Service: Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 2:00 p.m., Anderson Funeral Home, 1357 East Second Street, Franklin, Ohio, with burial to follow at Woodhill Cemetery, 6228 Hamilton-Middletown Road, Franklin, Ohio

Reception and Dinner: Tuesday, January 4, 2022, immediately following the funeral service and burial, Deliverance Tabernacle Worship Center, 3200 Manchester Road, Middletown, Ohio

CHUBBY HOWARD PLAQUE

A DJ ON RADIO, "CHUBBY" HOSTED TWO TV SHOWS IN WASHINGTON, SEVEN USO TOURS, AND FORMED THE FIRST STEEL GUITAR CLUB IN 1959, HE RECORDED FOR KING RECORDS, HE PERFORMED ON THE MIDWESTERN HAYRIDE, AND WITH SHOT JACKSON ON TWO ALBUMS , HE PLAYED THE FINAL SHOW AT THE RYMAN (1974) WITH CONNIE SMITH, PERFORMED AT RENFRO VALLEY, WAS IN BUCK OWENS' FIRST BAND, BOXCAR WILLIE'S FEATURED MUSICIAN, AND HIS LEGEND CONTINUES TODAY!
BORN: JUNE 5, 1926 GOOSEROCK, KENTUCKY
Died: Dec. 23, 2021 Franklin, Ohio
INDUCTED: 2015 In The International Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame #79

I have more, I just have to find it.
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA

Last edited by Danny Hammers on 28 Dec 2021 7:18 pm; edited 3 times in total

Danny Hammers

Danny & Patricia of Floral City, Florida formerly of Fairdale KY.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2021 10:50 am     Chubby Howard

I found more. This is the resume I sent to the Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame, with the help of Chubbys son Tony and Steve Lake II.

Steel Guitar Hall of Fame (Nomination, 2014 he will be 88 years old)
Who should be the next inductee into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame? The answer is Ray "Chubby" Howard. Best defined as a steel guitar lover, player, promoter, enthusiast, and historian, Chubby has shared his love for the instrument abroad. Starting the first steel guitar club in the '50's, making seven USO tours in the 1960's, to reaching listeners around the world (today) via a weekly "live" radio show syndicated and streamed internationally on the Internet; there's more to the story! Take a few moments "past & present" to look at this timeline and notice that it's not about one man or an instrument, but a partnership that without each other would be impossible to accomplish. You decide, is it the man behind the steel guitar or vice versa? Let's try to find out!
Chubby & his Steel Guitar Timeline

1930's (In the beginning...)

• Born June 5, 1926 in Gooserock, Kentucky (the only part that doesn't include a steel!)
• His Dad purchased him a Sears & Robuck white Silvertone Steel Guitar and amp for $65.00
• Started playing at age 8 practicing in front of his family's Howard's Grocery Store with inquisitive shoppers saying, "What is that?"

1940's (Steelin' with the stars begins..)

• As a teenager played his first show with a country music star, Jimmy Skinner in Franklin, Ohio and continued playing regionally
• Met his future wife, Dorothy Lee Gruszczynski and married in July 30, 1954

1950's (On the Road!)

• Played on the Midwestern Hayride with Russ Helton & the Trailhands in Cincinnati, Ohio
• Recorded several records with artists on King Records (Cincinnati, Ohio)
• Completed seven USO tours for Promoter Antone Sabillious which sometimes included other names like Roy Acuff and Bob Hope touring in Japan, Korea,
Newfoundland, Greenland, and Alaska
• First born son: Brian Keith Howard (December 24, 1955)
• Moved to Florida and worked for RCA/Victor artist, Ernie Lee. This earned Chubby a collaborative spot in the book The Original Country Music Who's Who Annual for 1960 appearing as a band member on the Ernie Lee TV Show

1960's (From stage to TV and Radio)

• Moved to Tacoma, Washington and started the first Steel Guitar Club in the USA (1959). Featured players for club meetings included Buddy Charlton, Katz Kobiashi (later with Marty Robbins), and Julian Thorpe who brought Chubby's idea back to Nashville!
• Second-born son: John Earl Howard (September 5, 1960)
• Played in Buck Owens' first band called the Bar-K-Gang (before the Buckaroos)
• Played with Jack Roberts and the Evergreen Drifters on Jack's TV show backing artists Lefty Frizzell, Faron Young, and Carl Smith (show produced by George Ritchie)
• Met a best friend for life, the great Jim Reeves
• Formed a life-long friendship with Merle Haggard after standing up for him over a musician's union dispute on the West Coast
• Third-born son: Anthony Joseph Howard (September. 24, 1966)
• Started his radio career with station "KAYE" every morning in Puyallup, Washington
• Created his own TV Show called the Western Jamboree appearing five days each week for a 1-hour "live show" interviewing and listening to artists like Tommy Duncan, Johnny Bush, Johnny Paycheck, Sheb Wooley, Jimmie Day, and Buck Owens (WTVW-Channel 13-Tacoma Washington - five year run)
• Simultaneously created a second TV show on WTVW called Look or Listen which was the first radio and TV format combined as people watched Chubby spin the records.

1970's (Heading to the Grand Ole Opry)

• Recorded the first of two albums with Steel Guitar innovator, Shot Jackson called Nashville Northwest, 1971 (on Wasp Records-produced by Gene Breeden)
• Moved back to Franklin, Ohio and joined touring band, "Steve Lake & the Swingmasters" backing up artists throughout the country-such as The Statler Brothers, Lynn Anderson, Earl Thomas Conley, Crystal Gayle, Loretta Lynn, Mel Street, Lorne Greene, and members of the Hee Haw cast and Lawrence Welk Show
• Appeared on the Phil Donahue Show with the Swingmasters backing Johnny Russell
• Made several appearances on the Grand Ole Opry with the Swingmasters backing Connie Smith for seven years. (played the final Opry Show at the Ryman Auditorium, 1974)
• Played the Sho Bud Showcase at the Ernest Tubb Record Shop several times for Shot Jackson and Jack Bowles
• Recorded second album with Shot Jackson called Sippin' Music, 1975 "Artist's Records/later released on Sugar Records".

1980's (The highlight of Chubby's career..!)

• Toured the USA & Europe with Grand Ole Opry star Boxcar Willie (1983-'84). During this time Chubby always had a feature song in Boxcar's show - the Steel Guitar Rag! This earned Chubby many standing ovations leading all the way to the International Country Music Festival at Wembley Stadium
• Played the first JCH steel guitar on the Grand Ole Opry at Jimmy Crawford's request
• Made twenty-six appearances on the Grand Ole Opry with Boxcar Willie
• Joined the staff band at Renfro Valley (Kentucky) for a ten-year run in their two main shows (1989-'99) (the second longest running radio show in the country

1990's (Founded the annual Steel Guitar Jamboree)

• Began Chubby Howard's Steel Guitar Jamboree (annual show) featuring local, regional, and national players. This year marks the 15th Anniversary for his show!
• Always a close friend to Don Helms and mentioned in his autobiography, Settin' The Woods on Fire (2005)
• Played a featured song (Jealous Heart) on the tribute to Shot Jackson called Pickin' on Shot (Volume 1)
• Played shows in Nashville with his son, Tony, with various artists like Daryle Singletary, Clinton Gregory, Tom Jones, Trisha Yearwood, and Tanya Tucker

2000 - Present (Taking the steel guitar to new listeners abroad)

• Began another DJ career in 2000 with a "live" radio show every Saturday and Sunday on WBZI, WKFI, WEDI, and FM 100.3 which simulcasts from Xenia, Ohio. Listeners, both fans and artists world-wide via the Internet, often call Chubby on his radio show for personal requests
• Continues to travel with the Clean Cut Country Show as well plays on three regular shows per week
• Often receives a call from friend, Rhonda Vincent, to join her band (The Rage) on stage
• This year, Chubby will celebrate his 87th Birthday without missing a show - on radio or stage

Steel Guitar Endorsements: National, Wright Custom, Sho Bud, JCH, Emmons, and Derby

To this day, Chubby maintains close friendships with everybody from radio listeners, musicians, to country music artists. It is not uncommon to hear Chubby on the radio mentioning the steel guitar player on the record before the artist or playing two steel-guitar instrumentals in a row. Then, take a phone call from a local musician, a friend in Norway, or even Rhonda Vincent or Moe Bandy and hear them say, "Chubby, I love your show all the way from ______, USA" as they listen from their bus. You tell me who loves the steel guitar and (who) promotes the "sound and listening platform" for future generations more than any other living person on this Earth and the answer repeats itself - "Chubby".

Chubby's Arrangements
All times are EST.

The family of Ray “Chubby” Howard invites you to join in celebrating and remembering a life lived to the fullest. All are welcome.

Visitation: Monday, January 3, 2022, 5:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m., Anderson Funeral Home, 1357 East Second Street, Franklin, Ohio

Funeral Service: Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 2:00 p.m., Anderson Funeral Home, 1357 East Second Street, Franklin, Ohio, with burial to follow at Woodhill Cemetery, 6228 Hamilton-Middletown Road, Franklin, Ohio

Reception and Dinner: Tuesday, January 4, 2022, immediately following the funeral service and burial, Deliverance Tabernacle Worship Center, 3200 Manchester Road, Middletown, Ohio
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA

Last edited by Danny Hammers on 28 Dec 2021 7:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2021 1:05 pm    

Thanks Danny for Chubby's bio, I appreciate it!

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2021 1:18 pm    

What impressed me the most when I seen Chubby play Scotty's set in 1985 was just the straightforward pure commercial E9 sound and style he was playing-it just knocked me out. One of the songs I remember was Honky Tonk Angels with all the licks of the 70s steel guitar, not simple ones either, but advanced Weldon, Ruggsy and Lloyd stuff.

Bruce Heffner

Payson, Arizona
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2021 4:12 pm     Sad News

My ears remember listening to Chubby at Scotty's over the many years of my attendance. One time, while traveling through Ohio on the way from Pennsylvania to Arizona by I70 and flipping through some local stations after getting tired of XM and the Cd's, Chubby came across the airwaves with a steel guitar radio show..........................blew my mind totally!

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2021 4:58 pm    

Thanks for that Danny!

What a life well lived, wish we were all that productive, some people wish they had luck, but Chubby made his own, may he rest in Peace and my condolences to his family and friends!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Michael Greer

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2021 6:16 pm    

Chubby Howard Show -October 2019 at the new venue in Ohio "Keepin it Country "

Great facility and many top steel players in attendance supporting Chubby.

At 94 years young , Chubby was still playing steel and putting on a great show.