The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel as your only instrument?
Brett Hansen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2021 4:17 pm    

Are there many pedal steel players who don't play 6 string regular guitar? At 51 as a beginner at both I am feeling like I don't have time to learn both and find myself much more drawn to the pedal steel even though I am progressing slowly. I also have interest in dobro and I'm thinking about just pursuing steel playing in hopes of gaining ability with limited years remaining and having fun.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2021 4:34 pm    

I have never played 6-string and I don't intend to. I started pedal steel about 8 years ago and I've been gigging for the last 5. I'm still only 70 so I have plenty of time to improve.

If you have what it takes to master pedal steel, leave the 6-string to those who don't Smile

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2021 7:21 pm    

I play regular six string guitar too, acoustic and electric, and dobro as well.
But I really prefer to play just the PSG at a gig.
I started out on Dobro which I credit for developing my right hand (picking). I really have trouble switching between the two at a gig though. The string spacing and scale lengths are radically different.
Yeh, stick with the steel, else you could be a mediocre multi-instrumentalist.

Brandon Schafer

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2021 7:31 pm    

Do what’s right for you, but if I never at least tried my hand at an instrument I was passionate about trying, I’d be bummed. Why? Because I just wouldn’t know if I never tried. You don’t have to impress anyone but yourself if you don’t need to.

I can play 6 string, bass, pedal steel, saxophone, keys, and drums to varying degrees of proficiency. I could chunk out a few mandolin chords or make a noise on a clarinet if I had to. I am very thankful that I can be a jack of many trades and a master of none.

Bottom line, it’s all in your end game. If you want to get really good at steel, you many not wish to have so many musical mistresses. However, if you want to play the field, there are few more socially accepted realms in which to do so.

(P.S. - I relish being a mediocre multi-instrumentalist!!! Wink )

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2021 9:36 pm    

I don't play 6 string. My main instrument is PSG. I dabble in dobro, mandolin, and keyboards though. Have zero interest in 6 string guitar.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2021 10:19 pm    

Brandon Schafer hit it. Follow your passion at this point in your life. Not that you are old; you’re not. But both guitar and pedal steel require passion and diligence to gain any measure of proficiency. If you have time for both, go for it. If you don’t, you may be measuring frustration instead of progress, because these are two pretty dang difficult instruments. I play both, I’m better at one than the other, and I am glad I did not take them up at the same time because they probably both would have ended up in the river and I might have jumped in after them.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2021 11:56 pm    

I started pedal steel 5 years ago. I don't play 6 string, but I have played bass for 30 years.

Play what you want.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2021 5:50 am    

although I was always a lead guitar/singer besides pedal steel in most of my bands,I really enjoyed the times when I was JUST the pedal steel guy and could concentrate there. I felt I played the steel a lot better when thats all I had to worry about..

There were times when we were playing more rock clubs than country, where I would play steel on maybe 3-4 songs a night. Was not even worth setting it up... There is an appeal to being the pedal steel player- period.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2021 5:53 am    

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Last edited by Bob Carlucci on 22 Dec 2021 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Brett Hansen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2021 12:00 pm    

Thanks everybody for the replies it helped me make the decision

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2021 1:28 pm    

I've been playing guitar longer than I have been playing pedal steel guitar. Once upon a time, I was playing both with a band. Electric guitar, acoustic guitar, pedal steel guitar.

No more. I've worked diligently to lighten my load to:

S-10 Pedal Steel Guitar
Amplifier
Pac-A-Seat
Stuff/Things Tool Box (I carry both stuff and things in the toolbox.)

All rolls in on a small, Micro Rock n Roller cart in one trip.

Eazie Peazie

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2021 3:47 pm    

For a long time I played both instruments, and brought two full rigs, gradually playing more steel and less six-string, and working out ways to cut down on the schlepping-around of gear.
My last bandleader was a good-enough six-stringer,plus he just wanted steel from me. I didn't mind, and I found additionally I was learning more and playing better steel.

Be fine with me if my next musical incarnation is steel-only, but I sure wouldn't turn down a good gig that included a little twin-lead... Winking

chuck lemasters

Jacksonburg, WV
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2021 5:14 pm    

I have played six string longer and like some of the others, carried two complete rigs for a long time, often playing steel on maybe seven or eight songs a night. Extra work, but felt the steel guitar needed to be heard and not just in a country music setting. I find melodies much easier to play on the steel guitar than six string, probably from being a rock n roll and blues hack on guitar. In a band I would much rather play only one instrument, which one depending on the style of music.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2021 5:36 pm    

Amen Brandon. Pedal steel is my most learned instrument and the one I'm known for around here, but I also enjoy guitar, dobro, lap steel, mandolin, bass, keyboards all with some needed time to get the chops up to speed.

My musical interests also include bluegrass, southern gospel, country rock, southern and classic rock, blues, jazz and big band and I like to play the instruments found in those styles as well as the pedal steel. I also sometimes jam with the fellows on a midi rig using a small keyboard as a controller.

I wouldn't take anything for the experience of playing additional instruments. I'd hate to go through life with regrets.

I've read where Jerry Douglas said when he tried playing steel guitar, it interfered with his thumb somehow and affected his dobro playing so he gave it up... so I guess if you're a professional musician getting calls for a particular instrument and expected to be fluent and flawless 100% of the time, then maybe don't do it....but that's certainly not me.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2021 6:20 pm    

I played 6 string far longer than pedal steel and enjoy it. I took up steel in the 80s and I believe my skills were enhanced because of my years on 6 string. At least the theory and feel plus ability to hear chord changes and flow with the band. No regrets at all. I do double duty and I like the diversity.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2021 7:55 pm    

I've played guitar, mandolin and bass for a LONG time, and professionally, before I picked up steel @4-5 years ago.

While I find my experience on those instruments invaluable in helping my steel playing, I can't imagine trying to LEARN anything other than pedal steel, at the same time. It's pretty all-consuming and takes a lot of your time and focus to even be just mediocre.

Go with your heart, and if that's "just" steel, that's fine.

Anthony Parish

Austin
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2021 9:38 am    

This topic made me think of a T-shirt or bumper sticker that would say:

"6 string guitar... because not everyone can play pedal steel"

Laughing

I play both, but the music in my head is, um... sweeter than the music from my amp.

Last edited by Anthony Parish on 22 Dec 2021 1:41 pm; edited 3 times in total

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2021 12:08 pm    

Herby Wallace was asked what other instruments he played for Dollywood. If he wasn't qualified for the job he already played for years, we're all in trouble!

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2021 4:14 pm     No guitar for me....

I tried to play regular six string guitar for a few weeks, when I was about 10 years old. I gave up because the left hand dexterity was just too slow at changing chords. I started playing pedal steel guitar in 1968 when I was 25 years old. I'm 78 years old now, and enjoy playing out with 5 different local bands. I've worked with some really good guitar players over the years. What they do, looks difficult. Plus, I get to sit down all evening. Thanks, Tommy.....

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2021 7:26 am     Bass

I was a bass player...and a pretty good one at that...don't know why I switched to steel....but...glad I did.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2021 9:02 pm    

I started on guitar and bass, but steel was the only instrument I played on stage for about 40 years.

Michael Sawyer

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2021 6:39 am     Double duty

I pick up this little Mustang on 6 or 8 songs.
Oddly enough,there a few non country tunes that i play steel on instead of the 6 string.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2021 9:28 am    

I play both. Guitar since I was 13 and steel since I was 23. I am 65 now. If I had only worked on one I might be really good by now. But, playing both I pick up more work.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2021 10:23 am     Re: No guitar for me....

Tommy Auldridge wrote:
I tried to play regular six string guitar for a few weeks, when I was about 10 years old. I gave up because the left hand dexterity was just too slow at changing chords. I started playing pedal steel guitar in 1968 when I was 25 years old. I'm 78 years old now, and enjoy playing out with 5 different local bands. I've worked with some really good guitar players over the years. What they do, looks difficult. Plus, I get to sit down all evening. Thanks, Tommy.....

Interesting remarks about the dexterity etc. I'm somewhat similar in that I took a few folk guitar courses and plunked around with a 6-string, but just couldn't get anywhere rewarding with it. That was in the 70's and I pretty much gave up on playing anything. For some reason, in 2011 I got a bit curious about pedal steel and ordered a Stage One to see if I liked it. It arrived February 7th so I'm almost at 10 years and loving it. I just wish I had started pedal steel in 1968 like Tommy!

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2021 10:53 am    

I gave up playing steel two years ago. I love to hear it very much on recordings. My main instrument is now again, the guitar as it has been for fifty years.