The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is the pedal steel with the quickest set up/take down
Ryan Lunenfeld

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2021 12:01 pm    

Question for you all:

What is the pedal steel with the quickest set up/take down? I'd like to get back into pedal, but...the last one I had was an EMCI and it wasn't too fun to set up/take down.

Is there anything super quick? I don't want to leave it at the practice space, and would love to be able to take it to gigs with just about as much ease as my lap steel(probably not going to happen:/)

Also, are there any lighter setups? I was thinking about that Excel/Fuzzy pedal steel. hmm

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2021 12:23 pm    

I used to time myself doing setups (time from cases and amp placed on stage to "set up and ready to play"). If I busted ass, I could do it in 3 minutes. I don't think there's a big difference between steels, but I do know that guitars with inline connectors on the pedal rods take longer than guitars with hook-end rods.

Ryan Lunenfeld

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2021 12:25 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
I used to time myself doing setups (time from cases and amp placed on stage to "set up and ready to play"). If I busted ass, I could do it in 3 minutes. I don't think there's a big difference between steels, but I do know that guitars with inline connectors on the pedal rods take longer than guitars with hook-end rods.

3 minutes?! not bad Surprised

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2021 2:27 pm    

I haven't timed myself (task for tomorrow?) but my Excel doesn't seem to take longer than it should. The pedal rods hook in and the means of attaching the rack to the front legs is particularly quick and simple.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2021 3:20 pm    

I would think those vintage Sierra guitars with pivoting legs rather than screw in types were quite quick to set up/down.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2021 3:54 pm    

The bad part of casing a steel for gigs is, You tear down at home to the case, Set it up at the practice of gig. Then tear it down into the case again, When you get home, Reassemble the guitar for home playing and practice.

I gigged a MSA Classic S10, I made a Naga-Hyde padded cover that covered the body, Put the case under a bed. Whoever the engineer was on a PT Cruiser he designed the back to set the guitar in, Put Seat and amp under the guitar and away I went.

The cover went with the steel when I sold it.
I made a cover for the GFI I now play, Just for the 2 mile trips to a friends house to jam some.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2021 4:09 pm    

Built this for a friend of mine he is close to 80 and guitar in case is too heavy for him he uses a thick cover like Bobby and this simple cart. Set Up time "0".

Good Luck
Barru

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2021 4:40 pm    

Once you put wheels on something it's only a matter of time before people start racing them...

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2021 5:56 pm    

Never had a Sierra but those pivoting legs were an attractive idea. If only the guitar itself wasn’t so heavy! My EXCEL has the quickest setup time of all the steels I’ve owned, but that difference is measured in microseconds. They are are all really the same with the screw on legs and pedal bar attachment. Three pedal guitars are a quicker setup than nine pedal ones, and single necks take about half the time to tune!
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2021 6:35 pm    

I gigged with an older-style Maverick for a couple years in the late '70s. I think that was the quickest guitar to set up of all the ones I've had. Plop the lawn-furniture-like legs into their holes, no screwing in, just tighten the thumbscrew. Three hook-on pedal rods.

Jim Pitman

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2021 12:08 am    

Ian, I'm reminded of the cartoon on the cover of BE's Four Wheel Drive album. After the wheels come the motor.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2021 4:53 am    

Well my take, after doing this for decades, it ain't the Steel or the brand, its US, its how we approach it.

I've always been an "INSIDE 15 minutes" for ALL GEAR packed up and ready for load out, including the Steel. For decades I've watched other band members hang out, take their time, etc.. while I was packing and loading out. Without a Steel I am inside 10 minutes. Its a routine .

AND NO - I've told many that I am not waiting around to HELP LOAD OUT gear if they are not starting to pack up for 30 minutes or more at the end of the gig.

And also NO, I have never expected anyone to assist me either, and I prefer they don't. I count and inventory gear/cords as I am packing up the load out cart.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2021 4:57 am    

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
The bad part of casing a steel for gigs is, You tear down at home to the case, Set it up at the practice of gig. Then tear it down into the case again, When you get home, Reassemble the guitar for home playing and practice.

I gigged a MSA Classic S10, I made a Naga-Hyde padded cover that covered the body, Put the case under a bed. Whoever the engineer was on a PT Cruiser he designed the back to set the guitar in, Put Seat and amp under the guitar and away I went.

The cover went with the steel when I sold it.
I made a cover for the GFI I now play, Just for the 2 mile trips to a friends house to jam some.

Interesting solution to the set up/tear down issue, Bobby. So is there a trick to loading the steel into the vehicle or just brute force? The advantages of the case are its handle and compactness.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2021 5:11 am    

Take Barry's idea and replace the handle with a bumper hitch. Then you don't even have to lift it.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2021 5:43 am    

Tony Prior wrote:

I've always been an "INSIDE 15 minutes" for ALL GEAR packed up and ready for load out,
I've told many that I am not waiting around to HELP LOAD OUT gear if they are not starting to pack up for 30 minutes or more at the end of the gig. .

Golly….YOU’RE no fun! Hahaha - And NO ENCORES!
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2021 6:42 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
Well my take, after doing this for decades, it ain't the Steel or the brand, its US, its how we approach it.

I've always been an "INSIDE 15 minutes" for ALL GEAR packed up and ready for load out, including the Steel. For decades I've watched other band members hang out, take their time, etc.. while I was packing and loading out. Without a Steel I am inside 10 minutes. Its a routine .

AND NO - I've told many that I am not waiting around to HELP LOAD OUT gear if they are not starting to pack up for 30 minutes or more at the end of the gig.

And also NO, I have never expected anyone to assist me either, and I prefer they don't. I count and inventory gear/cords as I am packing up the load out cart.

My sentiments exactly. And definitely no encores.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2021 8:24 am    

K Maul wrote:
Tony Prior wrote:

I've always been an "INSIDE 15 minutes" for ALL GEAR packed up and ready for load out,
I've told many that I am not waiting around to HELP LOAD OUT gear if they are not starting to pack up for 30 minutes or more at the end of the gig. .

Golly….YOU’RE no fun! Hahaha - And NO ENCORES!

LOL, right NO encores which begin 30 min after the gig ends !

Many of the gigs I played as of late, everyone was back in their room within 30 MIN ! LOL ! Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jon Snyder

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2021 9:18 am    

It would have been more fun to ask what brand is the biggest PITA to set up and pack up.

John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2021 10:39 am    

Jon Snyder wrote:
It would have been more fun to ask what brand is the biggest PITA to set up and pack up.

haha, ok, so I always found it's always a pain for me to get the pedal rod for P8 installed under the spring lever on my Emmons P/P. It's pretty stiff with all the changes on there.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2021 11:01 am    

I know a couple guys who just do this

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2021 11:40 am    

Tony Prior: it's a shame that we done have a "LIKE" button on the SGF, because you deserve one!

Ryan Lunenfeld

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2021 2:05 pm    

for what it's worth...reached out to fuzzy/excel to see about getting a new s10 based on some comments here! thank you Very Happy

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2021 3:37 pm    

I can set up quick, and strive for a throw and go set up/ load out.

I’m faster packing up, because I find the best protection of my gear, is when it’s all packed up.

Often there’s a band before and after, so there’s that.

When I’m the only act, I’ll set up a bit more relaxed , but always break down and pack up quickly and asap. A lot of things can happen to gear after a gig, and I don’t want to risk exposure to loss, damage, theft , or whatever. I feel better when my gear is secure.

In New Orleans, there’s no last call. No need to rush for a cocktail.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2021 4:48 pm    

I'm another one who's with Tony. I don't expect help with my gear (6 items) and I don't offer any.

Jim Pitman

Post  Posted 20 Dec 2021 7:04 pm    

I'm with Tony for the most part. I do lend a hand on the PA gear (that I don't own but use).
Whenever folks have helped me in the past, I've left something behind so I now request they don't.
Off topic: last week my rare Electro-Harmonix Memory Man Deluxe fell off the dolly we had to use during load out, and I didn't notice. The load in/out required two elevators and one gondola - ski area... and that's not the worst of it - just before the final set the manager asked us to wear masks so we did it instrumentally.
Fortunately an honest employee found the pedal and I was able to pick up the next day.
Thinking back, I've unintentionally donated at least three guitar stands to various venues around the state.