The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Guitar scale/size
Mick OGrady

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2021 7:29 am    

I presently own a Fessenden SD-10 3 + 5 (Emmons copedent).
It is sometimes a bit of a struggle to operate the levers on both legs and the same time as well as the LNV. LKL and RNR pedals seem to get bent. It seems the arc of my legs needs to be large to engage these levers but there is side pressure, causing the lever tongue to twist and sometimes break. I have already had to replace my F lever and I can see some twisting on my RNR. I am 5'7" and have seen some videos of guitars that appear to be a shorter scale. Does anyone have suggestions as to models that are better for shorter folks?

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2021 9:57 am    

A couple of ideas:

Have you turned the tiny adjustment screw that changes the angle that the knee levers hang? You might be able to adjust them so they hang a little more toward the middle of the guitar, making them easier to reach.

Also, if your guitar is standard height, it might be more comfortable for you to get legs and pedal rods that are one inch shorter. I don't know how much that would affect what you're describing with the arc of your knee, but it might help a little since you could sit slightly lower.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2021 10:41 pm    

I am also 5'7" and I need a guitar that is 1" shorter than standard. You can usually get shorter legs and pedal rods from the manufacturer. When buying a new guitar, I specify that the pedals and levers be moved one notch to the right. Scale length is not an issue, in my opinion. The overall height of the guitar and the positions of the pedals and levers are what make the difference.

Mick OGrady

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2021 11:04 am    

Thanks. So what brands would have these levers and pedals closer together to make them more playable for shorter folks?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2021 12:10 pm    

My experience is with Desert Rose and Williams, but I bet most builders will make a shorter guitar and place the pedals/levers where you want them. Designs with internal siderails allow for all sorts of configurations.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2021 12:29 pm    

A picture with you seated in your normal playing position might help us figure what you're particular problem is. Especially with an S10, there should be no problem operating the levers. But if you are extremely large, short, or tall, there can sometimes be issues. Wink

You may need shorter legs on the guitar, which would require a new set of guitar legs and pedal rods, but that's certainly cheaper than buying a new guitar.