The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Neil Flanz
Olaf van Roggen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2022 1:24 pm    

b0b wrote:
On some computers you can right-click the images and download them to view in higher resolution.

Thanks Bob!

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 10:00 am    

That was a cool article! Very Happy

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 12:47 pm    

John Sims wrote:
That was a cool article!

Yes it was, especially the part where the roadie bludgeoned the girl singer to death. That hasn't happened yet with any girl singers I've worked ofr.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 2:57 pm    

That was definitely sad...

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 4:47 am    

Thank you Olaf! A friend of mine had seen the Joe Sun band when they were over here and had a little small talk with Neil.
It's also nice to see that GP was so highly regarded by Buddy Emmons.
Btw, the guitar builder whose name Neil couldn't remember wsa David Russel Young.

Ron Bryson

Bonifay, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2022 3:37 pm    

Better days...Neil in front of his apartment building in Hollywood,Fl. 2003

G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2022 6:29 pm    

Excellent pic of Neil!
Melbert 8, Remington S8, Silk 6 string, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Prestige Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'

Lauren Broido

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2022 10:17 pm    

Cal Sharp wrote:
Sad news, Herb. I used to drive Neil home to Mom Upchurch's from the Den sometimes (because he didn't drive). We'd go up to his room and drink a beer and listen to Buddy and talk steel guitar. I got my start on steel guitar from his Sho~Bud instruction album. Great guy. Quote: "The C6th neck is mainly for jazz and blues". (You have to imagine him saying that in his unique voice.) Smile

I remember you driving Neil home to East Nashville. He did drive and had a yellow Plymouth Duster. He knew when he was not in shape to drive and would sometimes call a cab from Billy Byrd. I remember being shocked the Billy Byrd would come driving a cab. I too spent time up in his room at Mom's drinking beer, smoking pot, and listening to the tapes he had recorded of the Opry while living in Montreal.
Lauren Broido

Lauren Broido

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2022 10:31 pm    

I just joined this group and I'm so happy to see such nice words about Neil. I met Neil very shortly after Gram died. I had been living in town for a few years and was at the Merchant's to see Satch Wright and Satch asked me to go to new gig at the Sam Davis Hotel. They were trying to revive the bar and were doing music six nights a week. The band had asked Satch to play but he couldn't and asked me to go so I did. I wound up playing with them for a few years. Jon Corneal, Neil, Jim Althouse, and myself. From that very first night Neil and I were playing very much together and we fell in love musically. I played with Neil on our infamous tour playing for Jimmy Carter in the Southern primaries in 1975. The tour has been erased from history probably with good reason. Hamilton Jerdan was supplying the band with drugs. Me, Neil, Jimmy Stewart, and Buck Evans. I went on to play with Kitty Wells and LeRoy van Dyke and others.
I left town in 1979 but Neil and I always kept in touch. I played with him again when Joe Sun came through where I was living and I sat in with them. Neil loved playing for him and it showed. I visited with him during a NAMM show in Austin where I was working for Goodall Guitars. We had a very nice visit and that was the last time I saw him. I live in Hawaii and never leave my Island. Neil wanted me to come to St. Louis when he was inducted, but I find travel too difficult but feel guilty anyway. I wish I had gone.
I started playing lap steel a few years ago for a Pink Floyd project. I fell in love with the instrument and knew how to play it from all those years watching Neil. For real. Thanks to Neil I got to play with Jimmy Day and Buddy Emmons. The bunch of us would sometimes sit around the front part of Sho Bud with Shot and David and passing a bottle of Wild Turkey.
Reading these remembrances from others has made my day!
Lauren Broido

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2022 6:31 pm    

Nice tribute Lauren!