The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Neil Flanz
Olaf van Roggen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 11:23 am    

A picture of Neil he didn't know existed and it was one his favorites. Goodbye my friend.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 11:33 am    

I've known Neil since the early 70s. A kind man and excellent player. Rest well old friend.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 11:50 am    

hate to hear this. Neil was one of the sweetest guys I've ever met and he lived and breathed steel guitar. he had so many wonderful stories and so much knowledge to share. I'm grateful we became friends and sad that I won't see him again in this life. here's one of those stories about his days with Gram Parsons: https://www.facebook.com/100004729381134/videos/360948490739461/

love you Neil. thanks for everything

Last edited by scott murray on 3 Dec 2021 12:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 12:14 pm    

I am very saddened to learn of Neil's passing. It was just a few weeks ago that I had an email from him - we 'conversed' quite regularly. He made no mention of his being not well.

Above pictures were taken at Scotty's ISGC in 2015.

Jamey Maness

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 1:50 pm     Thanks, Neil

Just heard the sad news. He literally taught me everything I know about pedal steel, and was just a funny and interesting person besides. I've still got several hours of recorded lessons on my computer that I refer to when I'm struggling with a song or technique, and I think going back to those lessons will be a nice way to remember him. RIP

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 2:04 pm    

I'm so sorry to hear of Neil's passing! True pioneer and a gentleman through and through. RIP, my friend.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 2:36 pm    

A pioneer a one of the greats. We lost a legend and leader in steel guitar instruction. RIP Neil.

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 3:04 pm    

Thank you Scott for posting the last two photos of Neil in your tribute. I almost used the last one myself in my tribute to Neil as I had taken it at Scotty's in 2015 along with the ones that I did post. The one of Neil with Billy Robinson I also took in 2015 but at the TSGA Jamboree. RIP to both of these great steel guitarists!

Last edited by Jim R. Harrison on 3 Dec 2021 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 3:07 pm    

Sad news, Herb. I used to drive Neil home to Mom Upchurch's from the Den sometimes (because he didn't drive). We'd go up to his room and drink a beer and listen to Buddy and talk steel guitar. I got my start on steel guitar from his Sho~Bud instruction album. Great guy. Quote: "The C6th neck is mainly for jazz and blues". (You have to imagine him saying that in his unique voice.) Smile
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 3:22 pm    

Cal Sharp wrote:
Quote: "The C6th neck is mainly for jazz and blues". (You have to imagine him saying that in his unique voice.) Smile

someone else posted on fb that Neil said the C6 was for WESTERN SWING ONLY! Very Happy

I suppose Buddy was the exception to that rule but you've got to respect a man with principles! RIP Neil

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 3:53 pm    

RIP Neil Flanz.....

I met him once at The Broken Spoke some years ago when I was visiting Austin.....he was a nice gentleman and I enjoyed listening to his stories.....

Ryan Pinkerton

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 5:30 pm    

Saddened to hear this.

Neil was the very first friend I made after moving to Austin in June. I had been taking lessons from Neil off and on for the past six months and had the fortune of driving him to the Little Longhorn a couple Tuesdays when his usual ride was out of town. Neil would always greet you with a smile and was full of stories that were sure to put a smile on your face.

Neil was a world class fella and the world is a sadder place without him here to share his infectious energy.

Thanks for your friendship and guidance, Neil.

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 7:10 pm    

Neil's solo on the live Gram Parsons & The Fallen Angels song "Drug Store Truck Driving Man" remains one of my all-time favorite pedal steel performances committed to tape. RIP, Neil.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2021 6:38 am    

So sorry to hear of his passing. Prayers for his family and friends during this difficult time.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2021 8:24 am    

Sorry to hear this sad news! His Sho-Bud E9 Steel Guitar instructional Album was an early learning method for me too. He was a Pioneer and Legendary Steel Guitarist! RIPNeil Flanz!

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2021 10:50 am    

Neil's introduction by Gram Parsons on a Fallen Angels' appearance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w1GdG6tVQc

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2021 3:02 pm    

This is a sad day in Austin. Neil, besides being one of the greats of the steel guitar, was one of the kindest and most thoughtful gentlemen one could ever meet. In August I dropped by Ginnys to see him with Fingerpistol. We chatted during a break and said I would hang with him some in Dallas. The next morning I received an email thanking me for stopping by. It doesn't get any better than this.

Bas Kapitein

Holland
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 3:10 am    

With my renewed interest in the C6th, I am using this all the time.
One of the ways he will live on.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 6:55 pm    

Same here Bas. I too will use his licks, I learned from his first teaching record, the rest of my life. RP

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2021 6:06 am    

Sad day! Not the best thing to wake up to for sure. Great guy and very helpful if you needed it. He pioneered some great instruction on steel.
RIP my friend.

Jason Stillwell

Caddo, OK, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2021 7:23 am    

I struck up a conversation with Neil at the 2020 Dallas show. I had just been listening to a Gram Parsons live set a few days before the show, so we talked about that and this "new coronavirus thing." Neil really struck me as a special person his with wonderful unique mannerisms. My sincere condolences go out to his family and friends.

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2021 7:34 am    

There's a nice writeup over at Saving Country
https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/gram-parsons-austin-steel-guitarist-neil-flanz-has-died/

Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2021 9:53 am    

Just now reading this.
Sad to hear of this.
My condolences to his family & friends.
R.I.P.
Ron

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head Smile

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.

G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2021 12:52 pm    

So sad to hear this. Neil was the reason that I took up pedal steel guitar. Great guy and Great Player. Keep mashin' them pedals in Heaven Neil!!
Melbert 8, Remington S8, Silk 6 string, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Prestige Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2021 9:39 am    

Very sad to hear of Neil's passing.I was 20 when a friend's band opened for Gram and the Fallen Angels at Max's Kansas City in NYC in early '73. I got to meet Neil and listen to two amazing nights of his playing with Gram and Emmylou. Fantastic steel player and a super nice guy. He helped my friend (David Mansfield) buy his first Sho-Bud directly from the factory (Pro III) and I got David's Maverick a few years later which started my steel obsession.Aside from Rusty Young, Neil's playing was my intro into pedal steel. He was a groundbreaker. Thank you Neil and may you rest high upon the mountain. You won't be forgotten.