The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter Speaker Outputs?
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 12:19 pm    

On the back of the Block amps there are two speaker jacks. One says 4 ohm and the other 8 ohm. I'm assuming a 4 ohm speaker must be plugged into the 4 ohm jack and an 8 ohm must be plugged into the 8 ohm jack?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 2:11 pm    

Yes, but on the Quilter Facebook page I've seen it will take anything from 16 ohms down to 4. I've inadvertently Plugged my 8-ohm speaker into the 4-ohm jack and didn't notice any difference. I wouldn't have known if I didn't look (tearing down after a gig).

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 2:18 pm    

Yes - if you're running a single 4 Ohm cab, plug into 4 Ohm output; if running a single 8 Ohm cab, plug into the 8 Ohm output. If you're running two 8 Ohm cabs, then plug into both. The TB 201 makes this clear on the back -

And from their FAQ:
Quote:
Q. Can I run two cabinets with this head?

A. Absolutely! The amplifier has two speaker outputs so build your own modular system.

Plug one into the "bottom" speaker jack and one into the top. (Bass Block 802 are side by side.)

Note: On guitar heads, the "4 Ohm" Jack has a special contact that increases the amplifier's output. This allows you to get additional headroom. So when plugging in a single 8 ohm cab plug into the bottom jack. ONLY plug the second cab into the top jack unless you have a single 4 ohm cab, then plug it into the top.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 9:05 pm    

What happens to the amp if running an 8 0hm load in the 4 ohm output jack and pushing the amp? The reason I ask, I've recently been getting howling feedback. If I shut the amp off for a while it comes back to normal operation. I didn't realize each of the two speaker jacks had different ohm outputs. I'm using two 4 ohm speakers wired series (8 ohm load), but plugged into the 4 ohm jack. The results have been intermittent.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 9:18 pm    

I'd say that note from the FAQ is of importance if you're plugging an 8 Ohm load into the 4 Ohm output:

Quote:
Note: On guitar heads, the "4 Ohm" Jack has a special contact that increases the amplifier's output. This allows you to get additional headroom. So when plugging in a single 8 ohm cab plug into the bottom jack. ONLY plug the second cab into the top jack unless you have a single 4 ohm cab, then plug it into the top.

Since you're having issues, I'd suggest plugging your 8 Ohm load into the 8 Ohm out. It may not like increasing the amp's output into the 8 Ohm load. Maybe changes the feedback from the load back into the output stage, not sure. But the instructions are very specific.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2021 6:54 am    

I'm using 2 of the older Eminence 12 inch 4ohm neo steel guitar speakers. Simple fix if they were 8ohm each connected in parallel and into the 4 ohm jack. I'll try the 8 ohm output jack. Hopefully, I'll get the same headroom and power output. Otherwise, I can plug one 4ohm into the 4ohm output and use the XLR direct out into another small amp to power the other speaker.
For future reference, I'll let you know the results.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2021 7:36 pm    

Two 4 ohm speakers in series is 8 ohms so you should not plug it into the 4ohm jack.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2021 6:33 am    

In a hurry one night,I plugged my 4 ohm cab into the 8 ohm jack(TB 202)...

It sounded terrible...no clean headroom and dull and underpowered...

...didn't know until tearing down after the gig...

Made a believer out of me...

SH

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2021 8:31 pm    

The amp made it through the band job without a hitch. Thanks for all of the replies.