The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amp placement for Stereo effects.
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 11:41 am    

I've got a small little studio room and I'd like to experiment with my stereo effects, though the arrangement is less than ideal.

My main amp is on the floor about 5 feet behind me. This is a non-negotiable, though with alot of rearrangement I could raise it about 3 feet off the floor.

For amp, 2, I could put it....

-Ahead of me 6 feet about 11 O'Clock

-Ahead/ right about 5 feet at 10 o'clock.

-Straight right at 9 o'clock about 6-7 feet away

-Also with a fair bit of rearranging both amps could be behind me and I could turn them 45 degrees left and right.

Which of these less than ideal scenarios would be best.

-

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Mike Auman

North Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 12:17 pm    

Can you rotate your seat so you're facing between the two amps, with them about the same distance and angle to the left/right of your nose? If not, having them both behind you at the same distance and same angles behind your head might be best. I think you're going for a same (similar) bilateral angle and distance from your ears. (Ideally...)

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 12:21 pm    

I think it's already obvious that whatever you do, it should be symmetrical.

Cappone dAngelo

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 12:22 pm    

If it's just for your own listening/monitoring, I'd say go with whatever gives you the sound you want - i.e., there is no objectively right or wrong answer.

If you want a more 'traditional' stereo image, I would say the last option is the only one that will give you a 'stereo' image - i.e., on the basis that stereo is traditionally intended to have a 'right' and 'left' sound in order to create a stereo image for your ears (which are left and right, assuming typical seating position).

However, if for example you're going for non-stereo wet/dry, the front/back options make more sense. For example, the main sound behind you, and then just the (killdry) reverb or delays in the front. It won't have much of a stereo (left-right) image, other than what bounces of the walls of the room, but could provide the advantages of wet/dry like having a clearer dry signal that is not compromised/muddied/etc. by the wet signal.

My favourite for guitar - but I haven't tried it yet on PSG - is 'wet/dry/wet', where the dry signal is in the middle, and it feeds a stereo (killdry) processor that is then monitored in stereo - left and right - speakers. These can often be much smaller and less loud than the main signal (for example, 2 very small solid state amps) so it's typically easier to squeeze them into a small space. It's total overkill for most players, but can sound glorious!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2021 2:05 am    

Cappone, what you describe in your last paragraph is a kind of cinema setup, which I hadn't considered for playing music. For the extra speakers any modest hifi set would suffice.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2021 4:26 am    

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Unfortunately spaced and symmetrical with both in front of behind is not an option.

It's an L shaped room with 2 entrances and 2 closets and other limitations.

I'll experiment with some options and see what happens.

Angling the cabinet right behind me to the right a bit and using the other cabinet at 11 oclock in front and to the left of of me I might be able to have each ear getting mostly one amp or the other.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/