The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eliminating the volume pedal
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2021 9:20 am    

Lately, I've been playing without a volume pedal. With the eharp tuning, and playing jazz, I just don't see the need for volume swells. Anyone else going really non pedal?

Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2021 10:10 am    

I am from the other side Bill. I never use a volume pedal. I bought one a few years ago but just never really get around to using it.

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2021 12:03 pm    

I use it in Bali Hai, and whenever I want to extend the life of harmonics. Not too many other uses.

Michael Stephens

South Hadley, MA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2021 12:07 pm    

I never got in the habit of using a volume pedal with lap steel. It definitely can add an interesting element, but doesn't seem necessary. I can control the volume a bit with my picking hand attack.

Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2021 12:10 pm    

I put a kick and a snare on my pedalboard, Not enough feet or room for a volume pedal.
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2021 12:32 pm    

I made three runs at using a volume pedal but none of them took. I went about it in the wrong direction I suppose .... started with an original 50s Bigsby pedal, went to a 60s Fender volume/tone, and finally, to a modern Dunlop pedal I never use.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2021 1:20 pm    

Coming from pedal steel, I really felt I should have one, to get more of the pedal sound beyond just sliding those slants, and that Moyo is just so danged cute...so I keep putting it on the board, finding it a nuisance - hard to use it to just put volume up or down to the same place for solos or tuning, and I don't really do swells much - and taking it off the board, replacing it with a momentary cut switch for tuning...

Solved it this morning!

I have a drawer of effects that I sort of like, but not enough to replace one that is on my board full time....so I made a second pedalboard, will connect to the first, with everything I don't use, including the Moyo....now I can feel like I have a volume pedal, and can just leave the second board home when going to the gig....or take it along if the spirit moves me to go effects crazy...

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2021 2:19 pm    

I have my (pedal steel) Telonics VP connected with my 8 string non pedal. I don't use it much, but its there.

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2021 3:53 pm    

I use a volume pedal for live shows. I set it up so there's always a minimum volume for when I'm singing and a max volume for solo breaks. Works well for me.

Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2021 4:56 am    

I don't use my volume pedal on a regular basis but some songs I play require swells so in those cases it's important to have the pedal. I actually love volume swells but I limit the use in my own songs as to not sound overdone. Live I use a volume pedal and a boost but my lap steel hero early on was David Gilmour so I may be a bit of an outlier.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2021 10:10 am    

I need a volume pedal when playing live so I can make adjustments in my level according to the dynamics of the song. And when playing with a band I use it to punch up my volume during my steel solo or special licks.

In the studio I rarely use one because I want the pure signal recorded with a constant level and because I will later mix the track up/down. The only exception is when I need to "Swell" in or out for a particular effect.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2021 10:30 am    

Brad Richard wrote:
I use a volume pedal for live shows. I set it up so there's always a minimum volume for when I'm singing and a max volume for solo breaks. Works well for me.

Well over half of my VP use is shifting from “mix” level (when I’m comping or other backup) to “cut through mix” level (for fills & solo), which could be done with a volume knob if my steel had one. The rest is for the swell from nowhere and the occasional long sustained glissy thing.

Jazz single-note line playing, definitely no VP required. Might come in handy for imitating horn section swells though, if you were so inclined.

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2021 10:32 am    

I’ve never used one — I have enough trouble keeping on top of what I’m doing with playing and singing. I use a clean boost for solos.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2021 10:38 am    

I have always used a foot volume control in all my many years of playing, non-pedal and pedal both.
I started out with an old DeArmond pedal. Very Happy
Erv

David Rattray

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2021 1:45 pm     Still use mine...

1950 deArmand works as new..pics won't load... Razz ...

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2021 4:57 pm    

I have a couple of C6or A6 tuned pedal steels--I never use a volume pedal with either. I consider them to be more like lap steels in how I play them, and I like to use both feet on the pedals. I have a volume control pot on one of my guitars, but honestly don't use it either.

I do keep my volume pedal on my E9 pedal steel guitar though.

Dave

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2021 7:04 pm    

I find I do when backing up a signer songwriter. The swells are nice and harmonics. But I’ve pretty much stopped using it for Hawaiian and jazz. It’s something I work at, I don’t find it easy.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2021 10:16 am    

I am amazed watching players who use their guitars' volume and tone controls so fluidly. I am working on acquiring that skill. In the meantime I have to cheat with my vol/tone pedal. Sad

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2021 2:09 pm    

Tim Whitlock wrote:
I am amazed watching players who use their guitars' volume and tone controls so fluidly. I am working on acquiring that skill. In the meantime I have to cheat with my vol/tone pedal. Sad

Watching Roy Buchanan do that with his Tele always amazed me...

Dave