Ron Epperson

Riverside,Calif. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2021 8:18 am    

What is the best setting of master volume on Nashville 400 in live situation

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2021 10:29 am    

All the way up.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2021 3:14 pm    

11 Laughing

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2021 3:24 pm    

I’ve never used a Nashville 400 but on any amp I turn up the master to the loudness appropriate for the situation.

Fred

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2021 5:07 pm    

Fred wrote:
I’ve never used a Nashville 400 but on any amp I turn up the master to the loudness appropriate for the situation.

Fred

That's fine, as long as you recognize these three things:

1.) That you can do the same thing with your volume pedal.
2.) That it does reduce the amount of sustain you have available.
3.) That a lot of amps just sound better with the volume all the way up.

Jeff Neal

Johnson City Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2021 9:25 pm     amp

Think of it like this. On most amps Master is watts. So if you have a 200 watt amp wide open master would be full 200 watts. More important is the gain which is distortion. Never have more gain than master for pedal steel. You want clean. Usually gain around three o clock should be good depending on your guitar. Good place to start when playing with band is to open volume pedal wide open then adjust master to a good level to where you set in the stage mix with everyone else. Always let the sound man worry about the front of the house as you have to worry about where you are. I always used an Sm 57 in front of my amp usually hanging down about center of the speaker and always had good comments about the sound. Remember every room is different but this should be a good starting point.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2021 6:07 am    

Most amps are best at max. Many power amps have no volume control since they deliver full volume based on input. Old Fender amps had no master volume for the same reason. PA box amps have instructions to set master at 75% and inputs to desired level. So to summarize, run it all way up and adjust input for levels. Donny is accurate on his statement.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2021 10:28 am    

Fred wrote:

Fred

This comment is different from most of the others here, and I am inclined to agree with it, and not just because Freds need to stick together.

*I also do not own a Nashville 400* and I am open to the other suggestions.

I have an amp with a similar gain structure. It has pre- and post- gain settings, as well as a Master Volume. I have found that setting the pre- fairly low (2-3) and diming the post- allows for clean playing at any Master Volume setting, whether using a volume pedal or not. Maxxing the MV first seems like working backwards. I’m not an amp tech and I wonder if there is something circuit-wise or tonally that I’ve been missing.