The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedalmaster?
Terry Roller

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2021 1:04 pm    

Can somebody confirm what I have here by the photos? Logos say Pedalmaster. I'm assuming from the 60's. Any value in this guy?

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2021 6:12 pm    

Yes, Pedal Master it is. Made by Roy Prine, a Sign Painter by trade. A great picker and artist and could tell more stories than you could think of. Wonderful old man whom I met in late sixty's. Spent many hours in his little shop behind his house. Ben Jack was a mutual
friend and had some involvement in the guitars. Also Zane Beck, he stopped by one day when I was there. They talked about pickups and fret boards. Roy was a big fan of Joaquin Murphy and had stacks of 78 LP's by him. He played with Spade Cooley. Also Bob White of Hank Thompson Fame lived in Ft.Smith and Roy had every LP that Hank had put out. Pedal Master was in the early days with Sho-Bud. You can see some likeness in the two. And I think your Dad was part of that group back then. I visited with him several times in the recent years and I think that is what he told me. J.R. Rose

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2021 6:15 pm    

Roy Thomas in Louisiana built the Pedalmaster guitars. They are great guitars. I had one for a while. Roy is retired now, as he is in his 90’s. I believe his son Roy has taken over the business. I think you can find him here on the forum. He can probably help you. Good luck.

Terry Roller

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2021 9:09 pm    

I found a post from my dad from 2006:

J R Rose, I remember hanging out down at Leroy Prine's tiny little shop when I was a kid. All these years later I had no idea he and my dad worked together on guitars.

Terry

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2021 10:09 am    

Terry, didn't mean to miss lead you, I only knew that Roy Thomas in Louisiana had built Pedalmaster for the last several years. He personally built the one I had. As I said, his son Roy is taking over the business. Good Luck, Larry

Terry Roller

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2021 12:54 pm    

Larry, no worries. I pieced together the input from everybody and got exactly what I was looking for.

Terry

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2021 3:25 pm    

Yes, a Pedalmaster from the mid-to-late '60s. Value is probably $600-$900 because it's a pull/release with only one lever. It's very similar to a Marlen of the same period, but probably slightly better made.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2021 6:07 pm    

Yes Larry, Roy Thomas did buy the rights to the Pedal Master or whatever. I do not know that story but they have and are living on. And Terry, Thanks for digging up that post by your Dad and getting it on here again.
Your Dad was a FINE Gentleman and a Very Fine Steel Picker. He played for me an old Emmons song one day at his house titled "Broken Down In Tiny Pieces" and with such feeling it brought tears to my eyes. I had never heard it before. Happy Holiday to All. J.R.