The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Boss SY200 Synth
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2021 8:15 am    

This new Boss Sy200 Synth pedal looks interesting. Has a variety of unique sounds. You can also tweak parameters and store programs. One of the nice things about this unit is there is no latency and it reacts to string bends and vibrato. Looks interesting.

Thoughts?

Here is a Demo that would be useful for padding chords and strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp9IzSp0S9E

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SY200--boss-sy-200-guitar-synthesizer-pedal

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2021 8:28 am    

Saw that and passed on it opting the the older GR-55 instead. Boss kneecapped the Sy200 by not opting to include the popular midi library of sampled sounds in it including things like strings, piano etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2021 9:18 am    

The gr55 is a different beast. It uses the hex pickup midi converter. The Sy series required no additional hardware. Instead it uses DSP to track individual notes and does not generate MIDI. Hence, no sample libraries. It is a powerful virtual analog synthesizer. You may want to look at getting a used sy300. If I understand correctly the Sy 200 is a handicapped version of the sy300 which is a more powerful and not that much more expensive if u can find it used.

I played around with the sy300 for a while. It is undeniably cool. There's a great YouTube video of Jim o'rourke demonstrating PSG patches.

Last edited by Tal Herbsman on 18 Nov 2021 9:23 am; edited 2 times in total

Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2021 9:21 am    

Here's gentleman jim. Got to love the guy:

https://youtu.be/oTDDdnKWxDc

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2021 8:13 pm    

I had a Boss sy-1 synth pedal I used with electric guitar, loved it but wanted stored presets so I sold it and bought the SY-300. Love that also. Word to the wise though, you better know or learn about programming analog synths( thank God for Youtube) as the presets really suck and aren’t that useful. This thing has so many parameters that it took me hours of watching analog synth videos to even begin to know what to do. Good news is I’m now at expert at 80’s songs synth sounds. 😂😂

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2021 4:55 am    

The SY-1 and SY-300 rebuild the guitar signal rather than generating synthesizer tones from scratch. The SY-200 certainly does that too. The result is that you don't quite get a realistic analog synth sound.

You also get a "whack" along with the tone for most patches that annoys me quite a bit. Others might not mind but I don't think anyone would associate that behavior with a professional musical instrument. The tone on even the best patches is also a bit cranky or nasally, which also puts those units in the toy or at best semi-pro category in my opinion.

The SY-1000, however, has both MIDI output and proper sound generating mode. It's a wonderful piece of equipment but is not inexpensive and needs a hex pickup to be used properly.