The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Philip Sterk- Midland NYC
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2021 4:40 am    

Got to see Philip last night with the group Midland at the Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC with a group of family, and thanks to my daughter for treating my wife and I to the show.

It was nice seeing live steel at such a large, crowded and enthusiastic crowd, not having been able to see anything in the city for almost 2 years.

Philip was hot on his red Emmons and was right up in the mix and had ample time to showcase his very fine playing.

We chatted for a few minutes after the show as they were clearing the floor briskly.

It was nice seeing young people out enjoying great music, and happy my daughter likes country music.

Great show Philip if you see this and hope to catch you guys again sometime!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2021 1:47 pm    

Years ago the Northeast Iowa Steel Guitar Show board members decided to form what became known as The Jumpstart Program. A certain number of applicants wanting to learn were picked and provided a guitar, amp, and lessons from one of the board members for a year. Philip was one of the first students of this program.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2021 4:28 pm    

From one Craig to another, great story! Philip told me he was from Iowa and also lived in New York or over 10 years.

Planting seeds always reaps rewards.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Philip Sterk

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2021 9:05 am    

Craig Stock,
Thank you so much for the kind words. It was really great to meet you and hear that you and your family enjoyed the show! I am already grateful for working with such terrific artists, band and crew, not to mention, the opportunities making music in such beautiful venues like the Hammerstein. As a former resident of NYC, it was already an exciting show to be a part of and after reading your review, it stands out even more. Especially the part where the steel is "up in the mix"! (if you only knew how happy that made our FOH engineer...LOL!)

Craig Davidson,
Where do I begin but by saying, I am eternally grateful for the opportunity to have been sponsored years back, in the now named, "Jump Start Academy". For those who do not know, as Craig D. stated, the "Academy" was and still is a product of Northeast Iowa Steel Guitar show, in Waterloo, IA.
https://www.steelguitarshow.com/jump-start-academy
Looking back, it just seems so sublime that I could have been invited into such a giving and caring community of musicians during that time of my life. With out people like Roger Miller, Lefty Schrage, yourself and many others sharing time and resources to students of all ages, I firmly believe I would not be where I am today. I hope that I can one day give back to the community and help keep "planting seeds".

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2021 4:16 pm    

Hi Philip, while I don't know you, I do know one of your 'steel teachers', Roger Miller. I met him at Scotty's years ago & he told me about the "Jump Start Academy". Here are some pictures of Roger at work!

Philip Sterk

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2021 1:26 pm    

Great photos of a great guy! Thanks for sharing Jim!