The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender champion 100 amp
Terry Pendlay

Effingham Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2021 7:38 pm    

Anyone used a Fender champion 100 for steel?

Michael Sawyer

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2021 10:52 am    

I have one,and keep it at our practice house.
I have used it miced into the sound system on several gigs,and we always put in the trailer to have as an emergency spare at gigs.
Nice little amp for the $.
I will say it is better in settings with lower stage volumes,if not miced into the house,100 watts solid state ....i have had to crank it with loud bandmates.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2021 1:02 pm    

I bought an FM 100 when I started learning on my Fender 400. It was cheap, and sounded OK while I was playing along to recorded music. I did replace the reverb tank with a "4" series to help it a little. I believe the Champion is a later version of that amp.

Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2021 2:07 pm     Champion 100

I bought one a few months ago for double duty,steel and tele. It's a pretty decent amp for the price. I don't like the internal reverb, and use an rv6 pedal for that. It weighs about the same as my old princeton reverb, but with the 2 12's 100 watts,its considerably louder. Very usable on the clean channel for steel.

Dave Dube

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2021 11:41 am    

I saw one of the road players post about the Champion 100 when they first came out. Nobody was interested in talking about it then. Before I give my opinion, let me qualify it by saying that I play for fun, not profit, so consider my comments to be in reference to a practice amp. I have also owned Aviator Cub, Katana, mustang, Cube, and Session 500 amps for use with steel.

My take is that the champion 100 is that, of all the aforementioned amps, this one was the "best" for my needs. I base this on the ease of setting up and dialing in the tone, the sweetness of the sound, the relatively low cost, the headphone jack for silent practice, good variety of amp models and effects, and the decent ss wattage available. Now that is not to say that any of the other amps I have had did not have any of these features. They just did not do as well at providing all of these attributes in one package. Ever since I found the Champion 100, I have always called this the "poor man's twin."

Currently I use the aviator cub most as I don't really need more than 50 watts these days (if I need more volume there is a line out) and I am enamored with the limiter on the cub. That's a new twist for me. I suppose I could add a limiter to the champion and it would still be the best compromise of all features. When my son adopted the champion for tele playing, I decided to try the aviator. I still use the champion 100 at times, though.

Unlike some amps that have all kinds of features and bells and whistles, the champion is easy to set. Good old knobs to control everything. Plenty of options are available, but they are presented in such a way as to not be overwhelming. I prefer to spend my time playing rather than fooling around with the amp to see what's in it. I have a hard time making this amp sound bad. Either that or my hearing is failing and I just don't notice LOL.

Anyway, depending on what you want and need, this may be a good practice or home amp for you. You could certainly do worse. Of course your mileage may vary. Try one out and see.