The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shakey Legs!
Tony Boadle

Skibbereen, County Cork, Ireland
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2021 12:31 pm    

I've just finished my eight-string lap-steel project, not my first but possibly my last....no matter how I approach the build, I never seem to overcome Shakey Legs.
I've used four angled leg brackets (made for table legs).
Firmly screwed to the lap-steel underside. Four chrome legs with threaded bolts securely inserted. Legs then screwed in tightly. Lap-steel inverted, sitting squarely on the carpet.
In spite of all this, it's moving slightly as I'm playing, more of a gentle wobble than a shake.
The only stand I've ever used that was reasonably sturdy was the three-legged Classic Cantible stand from Thomann. This had short tubes extending down from each leg point.
I'm now considering switching to a cheap keyboard stand.
I know there are solid stands out there at a price, but this is a budget build, so cost is important.
Does anyone out there have an engineering solution?
PS: Pics attached. (Waiting on chrome volume and tone knobs btw)

JB Bobbitt

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2021 3:24 pm    

1. Add an "X" shaped cross to the back legs.
2. Remove one back leg and move the other to the lengthwise center, or
3. Move both back legs closer in towards the lengthwise center.
4. Shop for a cheap keyboard stand.

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2021 4:08 pm    

My advice is worth about 7 cents, before taxes.
I have never been able to use a lap steel while on legs or in my lap.
The legs would either wobble a bit or they would get in the way as they were too close together.
My lap was worse. I's start tapping my feet or adjusting my posture and off it would go getting out of position.

About 4 years ago I bought a fairly good keyboard stand for about $60.
It's been perfect for me. No wobbling, legs are farther apart and it holds any of my guitars with room to spare.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2021 5:31 pm    

I like the 3 leg, Fender type, setup. I rest the right leg against my right leg and put my left leg against the middle leg. I can hold the guitar completely stable and use a volume pedal with no problem.

I just bought a Deluxe 34 stand and it's really nice!
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Tony Boadle

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 12:44 am    

Many thanks for the replies and suggestions. It seems that it's not just a lap-steel thing.... I Googled 'wobbly table legs' and apparently it's a problem whenever four legs are involved without bracing.
The simplest solution seems to be the keyboard stand idea, easy to set up and put away, and useful for my six string lap-steel and square neck reso too.
Happy picking!
PS: Anybody wanna buy four legs with brackets lol?

Tony Boadle

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 2:07 am    

PS: I think I'll try the three-legged suggestion first, maybe even narrowiing the two rear legs idea as well. Just out of interest. Most lap-steel pics seem to show three legs, there must be a reason for that!

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 3:49 am    

I worked in an orchard for 12 years. An orchard ladder is 3 legs, well the two at the bottom of the steps and a single pole in front. After spending years on one of those I can hardly make myself go up a step ladder. Four leg ladders feel like a death-trap to me. Three points are better. Four need to be splayed out more.

I think you'll be happy with three, just have the ends back and the middle front, with a decent amount of angle, and it's golden!

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 6:17 am    

Some observations, you could maybe tighten up the connection with toothpick slivers glued into the holes that the wood screws for the leg sockets go into, and why washers between mounting socket and cabinet?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 7:04 am    

The shakiness inherent to my 3-legged Deluxe34 doubles doesn't bother me one iota. I became accustomed to it.

Tony Boadle

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 7:41 am    

Thanks for the continued interest.... I was wondering if anyone would spot the small washers! The bracket angle set the legs a little too wide, so I used the washers to 'adjust' it. The screws are all good and tight.
I'll certainly try the three leg option tomorrow. One question... obviously the single leg is mounted 'straight ahead' but should the two opposite legs be 'splayed' out slightly? In other words, looking down on the lap-steel as a clock face, if the single leg is at six o'clock, should the two opposite legs be in a parallel plane or angled towards eleven o'clock and one o'clock? Hope this makes sense!

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 10:59 am    

Not a great picture, but you can see that they flare outward a few degrees. Just leave the two near the rear edge where they are, flare them out a bit, then put one in the center facing forward front the front edge. Should be good. Tou will lose a bit of floor space because you wont be able to be quite as close.

Tony Boadle

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 11:35 am    

Excellent pic, much appreciated. It gives me an angle comparison to work with. Looking at my various mic and guitar stands, they're all three legs, so I'm hoping this plan will sort the problem. Results posted tomorrow!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 12:12 pm    

If you desire three legs, I would move one of the front legs to the middle, and stash the other one. Swivel the two rear legs to about 45 degrees so they splay out to approximately 7:30 and 4:30 o'clock (looking from the top).

If you want four legs, I would splay all four 45 degrees. The idea is to have all four legs splayed towards the corners, not the fronts towards the front and the backs straight back.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 5:19 pm    

I reckon if it's loose now, with vigorous playing the wood screws holding the sockets in are going to work side to side a lot. Anyway here's what i use, cheap, very sturdy and yes, easy to have your lap steel fall off (so put a plywood piece with some grippy shelf liner or something on top).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384454288784?hash=item598342e590:g:gEMAAOSwn8Nhbj6D

another thread on loose legs (check the threaded plugs at top of legs)

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2872283#2872283

Tony Boadle

Post  Posted 8 Nov 2021 4:37 am    

Three legs, screwed up tight, angled correctly, all good!
Slight movement but hardly noticeable when playing. It also helps to give each leg a gentle nudge outwards when set up to increase firmness. Thanks to all for advice and assistance, stay safe.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2021 8:14 am    

I would invest in some leg brackets and legs from Gary Sill.
They are made specifically for console steels.
Those are the ones I use.
Erv

Tony Boadle

Post  Posted 8 Nov 2021 12:46 pm    

Hi Erv, thanks for the link. Great legs and sockets, but more than I can afford at the moment (when shipping and import taxes are added).
I'll stick with my three-leg set-up for now!
Regards Tony

John Burton

Manassas, Va
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2021 9:16 pm    

I have similar mounts on this D6 but just wooden legs...and yes it's a bit wobbly. I usually just brace it a bit with a knee against a leg when playing and that seems to be good enough.

I've tried a few things over the years with making a lap steel stand. Keyboard stands, lap steel stands, legs etc. The best was just a wooden bar stool with a anti skid cloth on it. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.
In the end; I play like 90% of the time with it on my lap, no stand. Except for this d6..just to awkward for lap.
Anyway; got nothing to add other than; that's a nice looking steel!

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2021 6:09 am    

Tony Boadle wrote:
Most lap-steel pics seem to show three legs, there must be a reason for that!

Three legs cost less than four, there's your main reason. If the manufacturers back then could have gotten away with two, they would have tried! Wink

Tony Boadle

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2021 11:34 am    

Thanks for the compliment, John. Budget build, total cost around 60 euro! Your fine green lap-steel would be appreciated here in Ireland.