The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Glen Campell with......
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2021 10:18 pm    

Hi Rog and friends!
Tim Akers was MD at time of that tv taping. I want to believe Jimmy Webb was on first keyboard and Tim was second keyboard. Either we’re most capable . Sadly, Tim Akers passed away recently.
It has been nearly 30 years, so my recollection of cast is cloudy. I do remember Glen strongly requesting to the producer that Tommy White play. Glen and I became instant friends on a 700 Club Christian show TV taping in the late 80s. We shared many stories, ideas and memories on a flight home from the show.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2021 1:42 pm    

Thanks for the inside info, Tommy. It's good to know that you and Glen became friends through the years - you're two of my favourite musicians.

Speaking of great steel players and Glen Campbell, there's an album he made in the '70s called 'I Knew Jesus Before he was a Superstar'. It's clearly Buddy Emmons from the tone and the style - check out 'Sold American' and 'You're the One'. I think this may have been done in California, by the way, and must have been when the Big E was residing there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzIiNkA9vDA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYvcucIww7k

(Sorry about the second link - the track skips a couple of times and there's some 'wow-and-flutter' going on. Unfortunately, it's the only link I could find.)

Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2021 4:26 am    

I don't want to go too far off topic, but a friend in the UK toured the US with his band in the 70's as support to Glen Campbell. He told me that Glen was an absolute gentleman throughout the tour, including sending a crate of beer to their dressing room, every night.
Form is temporary; class is permanent.
Hats off to Tommy White for keeping it together. The steel rings through in all the right places, although I recognise the wide vibrato when he seems not too sure...
A fantastic performance all round.
Imagine being able to play the guitar like Glen. Awesome.
Thanks Roger for posting this.
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick