The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Dual6 Sitar type sound??
Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 8:49 am    

Just got my Fender Dual 6 ,Took it apart ,lubed the tuners and all the switches,looked for identifying marks,put on new strings[nickle].I have one neck Open G
gbdgbd and the other C6.Both necks seem to have a sitar sound on the first 3 strings,nothing loose.I have tried more bar pressure,no change.Any hints ANYONE?
Carl Smile
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 10:09 am    

What are your string gauges? Perhaps installing a tad heavier string will solve your problem. Presumably your
Dual 6 has a 22.5" scale. What gauge are you using for the high E on your C6?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 10:43 am    

Are your strings breaking over the top -- or the bottom -- of the tuner shaft? Installed such as this (on my '60 Studio Deluxe) will create more down-pressure at the nut than running them over the top of the shaft:

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 11:30 am     Dual6

Thanks to all the suggestions. I shall try those.
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 1:24 pm    

Those Fender metal dowel bridges can sometimes get a little buzzy with wear. Try unscrewing one of them and flipping it over to the unworn side (assuming someone didn't already do that years ago). That worked on one of the necks of the dual six I used to own. Make sure you get it adjusted to the correct scale length after flipping it.

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 2:47 pm     Fender Dual6 Sitar type sound??

I HAVE THE STRINGS WOUND FROM THE BOTTOM,HAVENT CHECKED THE BRIDGE FOR WEAR YET.THANKS AGAIN GUYS. Smile

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 2:53 pm     Fender Dual6 Sitar type sound??

I forgot to mention i have .015 for high E on my C6.Also .018w for 2nd string on both tunings, .016 for High D on G tuning.

Carl Smile

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 4:48 pm    

What era Dual 6 are we talking about? Did i miss the pictures?

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 28 Oct 2021 3:02 am     Dual6

It is a 1960 string master style.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2021 4:09 am    

Cool, im really surprised you can't get replacement nut/saddles for those.

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 28 Oct 2021 5:58 am     fender dual 6

Looking at the bridge on one neck i do see a very slight indentation from string wear maybe thats the problem. Smile
Carl

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 28 Oct 2021 6:59 am     My Fender Dual 6

Had to put a pic of my latest guitar,love it.All I'll every need.

Carl Very Happy Very Happy

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2021 7:06 am     Re: fender dual 6

Carl McLaughlin wrote:
Looking at the bridge on one neck i do see a very slight indentation from string wear maybe thats the problem. Smile
Carl

Jimmie Hudson could probably fix you up with a new bridge. Try flipping it over first though.

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 28 Oct 2021 7:24 am     Dual6

Thanks for the tips.