The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mic Advice Needed
Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 2:34 pm    

I've done one-man shows for years in nursing homes, etc. using a regular six string guitar and a beta 58a mic. As my voice isn't what it used to be, I'm switching over to lap steel (more instrumentals, less vocals). I might be able to get by with my current mic and stand, but it seems like some sort of headset rig would work better. I can't spend a bunch (the beta was pre-soc.sec. Smile ). Any ideas and/or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 4:12 pm    

Ive been starting to use a headset mic for a couple of months at home and probably when playing out (when I can)
I'm going that way to allow me to look at the fretboard without losing vocals
Started using a shure WH20XLR which I had not used for a few years. Not terribly keen on the ergonomics, short lead length and amount of bleed from acoustic instruments.
I'm not keen on wireless so that limits choices.
Bought a Audio technica ATH BPHS1 headphone/mic to use at home for monitoring and really like that great to really hear my voice and hopefully improve.
I have a Audio technica PRO8HEx headworn mic coming in a few days for situations where I don't want headphones
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 10:38 am    

Jeff - Thanks for the reply. I ordered the Shure. There shouldn't be any bleed as I'll be using an electric lap steel. I've got to say, though, that AT really looks nice, especially the 7' cable length. I may be returning the Shure as soon as it arrives.

Fortunately, hearing and improving my voice isn't much of an issue as much of my audience doesn't hear too well Very Happy .