The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Revelation Mid Shift Frequency Control
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2021 8:30 am    

The Treble control also controls the Mid Frequency (Shift).
I used a calculator and found the mid shift frequencies via the treble control:

(5) on the control panel is 650 hz.
(4) on the control panel is 720 hz.
(3) on the control panel is 790 hz.
(2) on the control panel is 860 hz.
(1) on the control panel is 930 hz.

Conclusion: slightly less than (3) and up to (5) is the typical steel range settings.

The Color knob will add some contrast to the mid setting.
The Gain knob will add crispness or warmth to whole sound.
The mid knob will control the amount of dip to the mids.

It's a different animal than the straight forward Session 400 and transistor preamps.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 4:52 am    

Dennis, that's a great piece of information. Thanks for your efforts and sharing.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 6:50 am    

Quote:

I used a calculator and found the mid shift frequencies via the treble control:

(5) on the control panel is 650 hz.
(4) on the control panel is 720 hz.
(3) on the control panel is 790 hz.
(2) on the control panel is 860 hz.
(1) on the control panel is 930 hz.

So, as you turn the control up, the frequency goes down?

Seems strange.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 6:59 am    

Yes, frequency goes down as you turn the treble up. I got this info from Brad. He said, full right is around 300 hz. Full left is around 1000 hz. So, the treble control shifts those mids between 1000 hz and 300 hz.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Last edited by Dennis Detweiler on 20 Oct 2021 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 7:15 am    

If I recall correctly, the Fender Twin mid control effects the dip and the dip is 600 hz on those amps, or at least, used to be. Steel sweet spot is usually around 800 hz and some players like it closer to 700 hz. Before I got the info from Brad I was usually setting my Rev treble in those 2 to 5 areas to get where the tone sounded best to my ears. We should be able to set the treble control where the "mid" frequency sounds best, then fine tune the highs by using the gain. Brad suggested setting the color control at 5 before adjusting the other controls and tilting it left or right for a final touch-up. Every guitar, pickup and speaker will result in variations of settings. The treble and gain knobs are not specific to their name.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 7:43 am    

According to Brad, the Rev was designed, more or less, to act like a Twin Reverb tone stack, which behaves in much the same manner. Brad discussed this here - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=128600 - as well as other threads over the last 15 years. There's also a thread or two somewhere detailing the frequency response of the Twin Reverb tone stack. Here's one of them, but it's not the detailed one I'm' thinking of - https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/005957.html

The Duncan Tonestack Calculator can be very useful to elucidate this stuff.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 8:07 am    

In 1977 Buddy cut a Live At The Convention double LP album. He used a Session 400 along with a Furman PQ-3. Years later,I asked him, why he used the PQ-3. He said, he only used it to dial in the low mids. He couldn't remember the specific frequency. Not sure if he boosted or cut? The PQ-3 was unique. You could select 3 separate frequencies (low, mid, high) and select a narrow to wide bandwidth of that frequency. Then boost or cut that frequency. I still have a PQ-3. There must be two mid frequencies that Buddy detailed into his tone setting for the recording. And, his tone was a killer that day.