The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  No more shipping ?
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2021 4:28 pm    

I just received this guitar shipped UPS… it was dropped at the garage , and they didn’t even ring the door bell to let someone know they were there

this guitar will have to be completely restored by Henry Matthews…. guitar before this one was lost by UPS and they couldn’t find it for weeks … so I’m done with shipping , prices to ship are getting outrageous , they are damaging and losing guitars , I’m done , no more shipping , pick up only from now on …

Last edited by Damir Besic on 22 Oct 2021 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2021 7:05 pm    

I am sorry for the loss. It's frustrating.
It's none of my business but...;
Still, I think in today's ages, where most of the business comes in online, unless you are selling downloadable goods..., refusing to ship may cut sales down to single digit percentage.

I double box every amp, guitar, car part (I have a classic car shop) etc. and when I say "double box", I don't include the case. In other words, case + double box with hard styrofoam insulation. I go by "If I can throw it around without damage, they will have to work real hard to damage it".
It's costly, and time consuming because as always, if you want something done right, you will have to do it yourself.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2021 8:16 pm    

JD , double boxing doesn’t do any good here, this damage was done on the inside the case after they dropped that guitar really nice and hard several times … tuners broke off on impact inside the case , it wouldn’t made any difference if guitar was triple boxed … after tuner broke off it was tumbling inside the case , and eventually damaged formica when guitar was dropped hard again … this has been happening quite often lately …not really worried about selling volume, I work 10-12 hours 6 days a week , so don’t have much time for guitars anyway

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2021 9:11 pm     Shipping

I’ve been told too many times, don’t ship ups! I generally use FedEx anyway. Damir, lemme know when that check gets there. I’ve about had it with this poor service from the government!

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2021 9:26 pm    

UPS isn't the government.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2021 10:50 pm     Re: Shipping

Dale Foreman wrote:
I’ve been told too many times, don’t ship ups! I generally use FedEx anyway. Damir, lemme know when that check gets there. I’ve about had it with this poor service from the government!

I agree, they’re all alike UPS, FedEx, USPS etc… if I was you I’d pick that new Rittenberry up myself … btw. can’t wait to see that guitar

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2021 11:19 pm    

Damir Besic wrote:
JD , double boxing doesn’t do any good here, this damage was done on the inside the case after they dropped that guitar really nice and hard several times … tuners broke off on impact inside the case , it wouldn’t made any difference if guitar was triple boxed … after tuner broke off it was tumbling inside the case , and eventually damaged formica when guitar was dropped hard again … this has been happening quite often lately …not really worried about selling volume, I work 10-12 hours 6 days a week , so don’t have much time for guitars anyway

Damir,
You've advertised some really great-looking pedal steels over the years; it would be a shame if you stopped shipping them.
You might find this video useful--Mr. Yates use of a dollar's worth of pipe insulation to keep a banjo from shifting in its case while being shipped is very clever, IMHO.
I would think his method would work well for steel guitars too...

Packing a Banjo for Shipping. Tips by Warren Yates
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfqT2m8Rp4I&t=1101s

-Dave

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 2:22 am    

I've sold two D-10's in the last year and a half. I noted local pick up only. It limits potential sales but both were sold in reasonable time.

Potential for damage in transit was one reason to limit to local pick up. Considering the high cost of shipping that sort of balances out local pickup if the buyer is within about 1000 miles. (Being in Florida doesn't hurt either).

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 4:51 am    

Demir uPS probably dropped you steel instead of landing

Demir I'm with you shipping a nice steel is cost prohibitive
I shipped a BMI to Washington an my customer watch the UPS lady drop it twice in the street.
Damage can occur at the shipping terminal or by the driver.
I won't say never on shipping but I discourage my customers from shipping.
I encourage meeting a reasonable distance.

Last edited by Johnie King on 16 Oct 2021 5:17 am; edited 2 times in total

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 4:58 am    

The days of building a shipping crate is cost prohibitive know also.
It pretty much takes a day today too build one of these
Adds too the shipping weight cost
Plywood cost up four times the price I use too pay.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 5:10 am    

Bruce Zumsteg
Sent me a new Zum
Bruce went the extra mile on packing my steel.

Double card board an triple card board on corners.
Steel was secured inside case also.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 6:34 am    

The nice lady at the post office recently told me they have a service where the package will only be hand carried.

Of course it was hands that dropped your package repeatedly.

It might be worth looking into.

Nick Fryer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 6:48 am    

I have so many thoughts on this and not enough time to type from my phone……

I had a bad experience w a seller here recently, it was a combination of bad communication by the seller, poor packing, and then mishandling by the shipping company.

USPS is actually a lot better than people think, the biggest issue is their weight and dimension limits. I recently sold and shipped a Fender 400 and used USPS and they were great.

I recently wrote a post on the “sticky” shipping thread that addresses some other issues but I’ve been writing a huge post in my head for awhile now about shipping protocols and expectations that needs to be addressed here on the forum.

My last parting thought for now, is that I think one possible solution is for sellers to look into R&L Carriers. I had a great experience with them receiving a heavy piece of equipment. It’s a little more expensive but knowing they pack on skids and that skids are moved on and off the trucks with a forklift is a very good thing. Anybody else have experience with this company or similar?

- NF

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 6:53 am    

It’s not just about a damage , guitar before the last one they lost, and couldn’t find it for weeks… but the other big problem is cost, I can’t hardly ship and insure any guitar for less than $200, if I’m shipping more expensive guitars price goes up fo almost $400 … this is ridiculous…. like Johny, I think maybe not stop shipping all together, but not sure about that… the other problem are banks , holding checks and money orders for days , and on the brink of collapse any day… the other day I was cashing my paycheck and they started asking me why I need the money, and for what … world around us is changing rapidly, and it looks like it’s going to be only “cash and carry” option for me soon …

Nick Fryer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 6:59 am    

I hear you Damir. As a buyer, if I’m spending 2-6k on a steel, anymore I’m willing to pay up to $500 in shipping if I know it’s going to be shipped correctly. That shipping price point may just have to be the new standard. Globally shipping is insane right now. Companies are paying 30k for a single container when months ago they were only 5k. When is the bottom going to fall out ?

Patrick Thornhill

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 7:19 am    

This might be a stupid suggestion, but maybe you could invest in having a few reusable shipping cases made. The buyer would then pay 2x shipping - once to receive the guitar and again to send the empty case back to you.
Obviously that would add to the cost, but if I’m buying a $3,000 guitar I’m not going to balk at even a few hundred extra dollars to insure it arrives safely, and allows you to keep selling them.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 7:28 am    

case protects from external damages , not damages on the inside … again, physical damage is only one on the list of many issues with shipping… actually , guitars just wrapped in cardboard box with handle sticking out, are the ones I never had an issue with getting damaged in shipping…

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 8:42 am     Mail

Paul Sutherland wrote:
UPS isn't the government.

I know UPS is not government, I was speaking of the US Postal Sytem.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 9:21 am    

If there is damage on the inside then the case has to be packed tight inside, with something to prevent movement? I do that with lots of shipments.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 10:10 am    

man I hate to see this.
I've been advised against using UPS and I won't do it. so far, I've had good luck with FedEx.

I recently received my new Excel all the way from Japan. it was shipped with EMS out of Japan and delivered by USPS. I received it in one week exactly, no damage whatsoever.

maybe it helps to spell it out for them?

Last edited by scott murray on 16 Oct 2021 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 10:12 am    

Jerry Dragon wrote:
If there is damage on the inside then the case has to be packed tight inside, with something to prevent movement? I do that with lots of shipments.

When I first got a Franklin (in 82) Mr. Franklin told me to use a towel in the case to help protect the steel in transit.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 5:46 am    

Pack the Steel in the case to where NOTHING moves at all. I usually use small bubble wrap around the steel; then small sheet type foam to fill gaps. Make sure the ends of the leg/pedalbar partition is braced with foam blocks or small wood blocks and sheet foam or bubble wrap in around and over that section and then bubble wrap over bottom of steel so the lid closes on it and fills that space between steel and inside lid. If you pack the steel like that in the case....they can drop it 10 feet on concrete floor and NOTHING will happen to the steel. Sure the case might crack...but the steel CAN NOT move; therefore CAN NOT be damaged.
I've been doing this for 30 years; when I flew/toured back through the 90's Europe 18 times, Australia twice and all throughout the states with ZERO damage to my steel; and I've been restoring/working on/refurbishing steels for guys all over the world and ship it back to them for last 25 years...with ZERO damage. Make sure the steel does not move one centimeter in the case is the best protection period/!!!
Ricky

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 7:24 am    

This thread has been talked about many times over the years. I have made post before about it. As Ricky Davis states the first thing you do is to pack guitar in case so their is no movement even if it is dropped. May not be the perfect way but it helps. I also have said leave the handle where the courier can use it. A 100 lb. UPS young woman cannot begin to bear hug a 80 lb. or 90 lb. box safely. And that is what you have, I have seen them. Even if your wrapping of case leaves no handle improvise and wrap case with rope so the courier has something to grab a hold of. Otherwise they just flip them over and roll them. I use Fed-X but I would never take a guitar to them and say box this up for me. I had one shipped to me that way and it was just a joke of how it was packed. They used a box that was about one foot longer than case and no bubble wrap, just sheets of plastic struck in one end that was worst than newspaper. It was a disaster and a disgrace to how they shipped it. And the box was wider so guitar just slid around in it. And of course no handle. OK, I will hush now, J.R. Rose

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 7:52 am    

What Ricky said... verbatim and in ALL CAPS!

I do everything he suggests and I BUY A NEW BOX from a box store and have them cut it to the correct size. I then photograph the packing process so I can document each step along the way in the event the shipper claims "insufficient packing." Johnie's process is probably best, but I don't have a shop capable of building a wooden crate like his.

It's more expensive but I tell the purchaser that the shipping cost is what it is, and if they suggest I nickel-dime my procedure, the deal is off. It's that simple.

Damir, from the photos it's obvious that things were flopping around inside the case. Lots of things can break tuning machines, and the gouge looks like the pedal bar might have done that. I'm not a forensic analyst, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I know what I'm talking about. Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 7:59 am    

YES..listen to Herb and J R Rose, great stuff....DO IT MAN!!! the only way.
Ricky