The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mullen SD-10 PRE-RP... weird corrosion... anybody seen this?
Jon Schimek

Lyons, Co - USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2021 11:26 am    

Trying to help post pics for a fellow who inherited a steel. Anybody seen corrosion like this on a mid 90's Mullen 3x5 lacquer PRP? I dont understand what looks like corrosion on screws and pull rods, and cross shafts...

I'm really just going to post the photos, but going to recommend posting here and trying for local pickup so somebody can look it over. I'm thinking he should expect ~$2000... am I way off here?

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2021 12:31 pm    

Might be a type of mold...where was it stored and for how long?

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2021 1:30 pm     Corrosion

Could be Galvanic corrosion. This happens when dissimilar metals are used and not isolated.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2021 1:32 pm    

I've seen that on a couple Mullen guitars I had. It was no big deal. Maybe just some impurities in the metal.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2021 3:13 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
I've seen that on a couple Mullen guitars I had. It was no big deal. Maybe just some impurities in the metal.

Uhh, no. It's affecting the pullrods, crossrods, and even the springs. Man, that is so sad to see. Are those parts plated steel?

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2021 3:27 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:

I would call Mullen and talk to del

P
W

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2021 5:14 pm    

Not sure on that but my pre RP Mullen D10 8x4 is a 94 and I've owned it since new. It hasn't done that.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2021 8:28 pm    

$2k sounds about right to me; if it isn't froze up or anything. It would probably clean up pretty good. How's the rest look?

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2021 8:38 pm    

Since the aluminum looks undamaged the problem is not caustic based.
It looks like some Cleaning Compound, Construction chemicals like Muriatic Acid (concrete cleaner) or a Ammonia laundry product, Or Ammonia or Nitrate farm chemicals, was stored in the same area and the chemical reacted with the zinc in the coating on the rods, cross rods and cadmium coated screws.
Many chemicals will evaporate and contaminate the air in a room or closet and affect things without physically touching an object.

Even clothes worn in some chemical plants will contaminate items in a closet, Just being in the dirty clothes basket till they are laundered.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2021 10:21 pm    

Get a $1 fine wire brush set at Dollar Tree, and a bit of light machine oil, and a couple rags and have at it... It will clean up 90%, and it will be just fine forever.. Or you can pull every piece out and replace with new if you can find the parts for lots and lots of money.

Personally, before anything else, I would try the $1.00 little wire brush, light oil and rag approach... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2021 3:17 am    

What does it look like up top? Any corrosion there?

Jon Schimek

Lyons, Co - USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2021 7:09 am    

Thanks for the comments and opinions.

The photo I have of the top has all metal looking almost new. There is a seat in photos with a outlet built in that is also showing signs of rust, but nothing too surprising or concerning.

Perhaps reaching out to the folks at Mullen makes sense.

-Jon

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2021 7:29 am    

My Guess is it was set up in a small room with and open face propane heater with no exit ventilation. I learned the hard way and since use an electric heater. J.R. Rose

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2021 7:45 am    

Jon Schimek wrote:
Thanks for the comments and opinions.

The photo I have of the top has all metal looking almost new. There is a seat in photos with a outlet built in that is also showing signs of rust, but nothing too surprising or concerning.

Perhaps reaching out to the folks at Mullen makes sense.

-Jon

Yes, check with Mike at Mullen. You can also get a good value idea from him.

As to the metal, I don't see anything on any of the aluminum parts nor the chrome plated end plates. I'm thinking the other affected parts are maybe zinc plated steel. I don't have a Mullen at present, but I believe that's the case. I defer to the Mullen folks however.

Further examination, I do see what looks like a little rust on the pedal return springs.

If it were a double neck, and another time, I wouldn't let all that business deter me from interest in it though.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2021 9:26 am    

Oh brother... You are looking for a big problem that really doesn't exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fOYZcNu7EY

https://www.amazon.com/3-ONE-100355-Multi-Purpose-Oil/dp/B086S8B4WP

https://www.amazon.com/Scott-75130-Shop-Towels-55/dp/B000TRQHXS/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=shop+rags&qid=1634145967&s=industrial&sr=1-16

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2021 12:09 pm     Crud Coated

Bob’s ‘solution’ seems the quickest, and since he’s the Wizard of KISS (keeping it simple..) here on this Forum, if your fingers are still nimble, get on down to Dollar store before prices RISE! Also Q-tips are there. Cereal boxes can be cut into protective strips, lay em flat, between pivot blocks, .. to catch dribbles before soaking into the deck wood bottom; so a ruler/scalpel knife/straight edge is handy too. 3 in 1 oil is great due to the ‘cleaner agent’ mentioned in its formulation.. so, as bonus,, you will be lubing most all the bearing surfaces beneath. The oil should also go up top, fingers shaft, scissors rivets, nut rollers. Common sensibility.. and you won’t be a bother to Mike Mantey, who’s ramping up for a busy season.

As for the cause, Bobby D., Dale, and others mention chemical farm/industrial ‘evapoaratives’ stored in proximity.. is closest, IMHO.

Additionally, ‘‘tis the season” for ‘ghosts’.. so wipe off any spills to laquer finish, or you may see a ghost of the spurts.

Oh.. new string set, a must! ..😎?

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2021 3:16 pm    

Oops, it is just a single neck. (SD-10). I should lower my evaluation a few hundred bucks.😬You chemists out there. I'm wondering what corrosive agent could have been in the closed case with the guitar? RP

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2021 9:21 pm    

Barometer pressure will make containers breath some air out as the pressure drops during a storm, And then high pressured returns some air will be moved into the container.

Some foams and glues used in cases, Have chemicals that can cause problems with rust and corrosion to metal items stored within.

Richard Lotspeich

North Georgia
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2021 2:30 am    

I had a 93/94 D10 Mickey Adams rebuild, (bought from and resold to him) that had some of this on the cross shafts and all the springs. It wasnt as bad as this ,but there. Id say some chemical fumes somewhere, and maybe even an odd/bad run of the materials used at that time period. She sounded good though. Whats in that pouch or rod dampener in there?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2021 7:17 am    

I'd remove the rods and clean them with a Scotch-Brite pad. Wouldn't take more than five or ten seconds to clean each rod individually. Do them one at a time, and mark them at each puller with a small file. That way, they're not far off from their original positions. The rods may be plated, but ideally, stainless steel rods would be used. That was one of my complaints with the old Emmons guitars - everything that wasn't aluminum eventually started to rust.

The materials used to make the case will outgas enough eventually to attack zinc or tin plating. It's a very common issue on old Fender pedal steels that have been sitting in the case for decades. Oh Well

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2021 7:38 am     Bag load of ?

I’m curious what that stapled plastic bag contents are too. Home brew desiccant? Could be the source of all the calamity.. staples do NOT seal fully.
Rod clips, tiny size..😯. ( not familiar with 90’s Mullin hdwr) will need to be pulled/replaced at ea 90deg ..with a tool ? I imagine lots of fumbling unless your vision is perfect.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2021 11:51 am    

Sulpher in the buildings water supply,treated with chlorine or not will do that. It is in the air and corrodes metals. Lived in an old farm house with treated water,still corroded things.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2021 12:42 pm    

Clean it off w/ brushes, or scotchbrite as Donny said, or plain old steel wool, blow off the scale and dust that you cleaned off, wipe it off with an oily rag, play it for the rest of your life, and pass it on to a loved one.
It will outlast you, me and everyone else reading this... bob

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2021 1:04 pm     dissimilar metals?

I'm not sure if this is the case but if the cross rods are made of steel and the bell cranks that are tightened to them are made of aluminum is this not a case for galvanic corrosion?
Lot of info on the web about using different metals together, such as aluminum & steel.

Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2021 1:45 pm    

If it was set up in a pool house, or room with pool chemicals or a hot tub, chlorine could do this.