The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  goodrich volume pedal issue...
Christopher Peck

Seattle
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2021 4:33 pm    

Pic of the particular model

Yup, that two-prong cord is sticking out the back of the Goodrich. So no batteries for ol' Chango Malo.

Picked it up today when I stopped in at my local pawnshop here in Capitol Hill Seattle on my way back home from the day job. I'm lucky I can walk to work in 15 minutes, I really love not having to drive in Seattle traffic. Anyways, they had this old Goodrich volume squeezer, I gave it a test drive on a generic marshal amp and SG they had for sale and all seemed great. Dead quiet and smooth action... so I talked the guy down to 90 clams and took it with me. .

Here's the issue: I'm playing an older BMI S10 with a single coil pickup. Now I love me some single coils for sure, I'm a Fender guy when it comes to electric guitars all day long. The pickup on this BMI is uberhot, I mean reaaalllly hot. Way louder than any of my strats or jazzmasters by far. I'm playing through my Fender Deville 212 right now since most of my amps are hanging out at the studio and I'm playing the BMI at home to relax. The pickup's so hot it has a hint of fuzz even with the Deville dialed back to apartment levels, and with the volume pedal it's the same: same tone all the way through the sweep of the pedal. Which is pretty cool, don't get me wrong. But I'd like to get a squeaky clean pure single coil tone going over here. I figured the volume pedal would tame that hot pickup at least a little!

What's up with that? What's a feller gotta do to get a squeaky clean signal going with this here BMI?

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2021 5:54 am    

Not sure on that Goodrich pedal but I run a Goodrich buffer attached to the right rear leg of every steel I play. Mostly their 7a model. By adjusting the buffer gain it addresses the level of the pickup. Of course the Sarno black box or his line buffer work great. Other model buffers will work but those I mentioned are most common with steelers.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2021 7:48 am    

Have you tried a different amp?

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2021 6:56 pm    

You're overloading the first stage of both your amp and your (active) volume pedal.

This situation begs for a pot pedal, really. Either that, or you can put an attenuator (like a guitar volume control) in front of the pedal or amp.

Your amp is not designed for squeaky-clean anyway... so there's that. As long as the pickup itself is not clipping (this can happen) a volume pot in front of your pedal will tame the clipping. So, basically... a pot pedal in front of your active pedal.

A tech can modify your pedal with a resistor divider to trim the input down some... like a pot, but fixed. Or... the tech could add a trim-pot that you could adjust with a screwdriver.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2021 7:28 pm    

I don't think it is that complicated.
I have had two BMI's and have not had this issue.
It is not a common BMI issue.
I would remove the volume pedal completely (and/or try a different volume pedal) and see how that sounds with your amp. Try some other pedal steel amp if possible.
Maybe try a different Steel with the same rig.
You could also try a different pickup.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2021 9:55 pm    

That two-prong plug is a shock (or death!) waiting to happen! Have a tech rewire that pedal pronto with a three-prong plug!

Oh, and steel pickups do put out more than a guitar pickup...often two or three times more!

And to keep the pickup from overloading the amp, turn the amp up, not down! This forces you to use less pedal, which will reduce the amount of signal going into the amp.

Turn the amp up and learn to control your maximum amp volume with your pedal, not the volume control on the amp!

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2021 6:18 am    

That particular light beam pedal tends to choke the highs on the output and nothing can be done about that. I know- I had one for 30 years- worked great except for that.