The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic

Do you expect to have a Windows 11 Computer within the next year?
Yes
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
No
63%
 63%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 19

Author Topic:  Comprehensive Windows 11 Review
Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2021 9:14 am    

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/10/windows-11-the-ars-technica-review/ I hope many of you find this article useful.

It is a comprehensive review of the new features and requirements of Windows 11. The article clears up Windows 11 misinformation you may have read since Windows 11 was first announced.

For fun I've added a poll asking if you expect to have a Windows 11 computer within the next year. This could be a brand new computer that has Windows 11 or an existing computer that you, or your computer technician, upgrade the operating system.

I've set the poll to run for a year so that a year from now you can revisit this topic and see how accurate your answer is!
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2021 10:01 am    

I have a Win 11 compatible desktop that I also use for my recording DAW. It has an i9 9900K CPU.

I have been using the Windows Insider Program advanced Win 11 for over a month with no problems, either regular operations or recording. It is a dual boot system with Win 10 Pro and the Insider Win 11. For that reason, I upgraded my Win 10 installation to Win 11 Pro yesterday. It went without problems as I expected since I was already using the advanced "Dev channel" editions. I also ran Resplendence Latency Mon and no problems. Both Cakewalk and Studio On 4.6 Pro recording apps work properly. Plug-ins too.

OTOH, I have a 2018 Dell Inspiron 15 5577 laptop with a 7th gen i5 CPU. It is not upgradable and based on current Microsoft requirements of minimum 8th gen Intel CPU, it cannot be upgraded to Win 11. There are reported ways to get around this and still install Win 11 but according to reports it will not get any security or feature fixes or updates.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2021 11:35 am    

Of my 3 computers, only my desktop with Intel processor can be upgraded. The 2 others I have aren't. They have those crappy Advanced Microdevices garbage processors.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2021 3:33 pm    

Very informative, Jim - thanks for posting.

I expect to find that I'm in the same boat as Richard and countless others. If it's a plot to push sales of new machines the chip shortage should see to that!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2021 2:14 am    

Win 10 will be supported until 2025. So the PC's that are not compatible have another 4 years. Another 4 years and many of them will be ready for the scrap pile anyway.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2021 12:16 pm    

Here's some update info I found on a Sweetwater note:

Windows 11 will be a free upgrade from Windows 10 and will be released starting on October 5, 2021. But, just like every major Windows 10 update, Microsoft will roll it out in phases. Its initial release will be rolled out to owners of the following PCs, and, for others, it will be completely rolled out by mid-2022.

Acer Swift 5
Acer Swift X
Asus ZenBook Flip 13 OLED
Asus ZenBook 14
Alienware X15 and X17
Dell XPS 13
HP Spectre x360 14
HP Envy x360 15
Lenovo Yoga 7 and Yoga Slim 7i Pro
Samsung Galaxy Book Pro and Galaxy Book Pro 360
Microsoft Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 4

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2021 3:36 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
Win 10 will be supported until 2025. So the PC's that are not compatible have another 4 years. Another 4 years and many of them will be ready for the scrap pile anyway.

Yes, 4 years strikes me as reasonable.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2021 3:28 pm    

Jack,

All those appear to be laptops or tablets. I guess Microsoft is not as worried about desktops.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 8:41 am     Windows 11 on Ryzen 5 2400G

I have a self-built PC that runs on a Ryzen 5 2400G processor. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-350B Gaming with 16 gb of pc-19000 Crucial ram. I am currently running the most current version of Windows 10 Professional, with the latest updates.

Today, I ordered a Gigabyte TPM 2.0 module that will plug into my motherboard. By the time it arrives I am hoping MS will approve my AMD 2400G CPU for Windows 11. It is currently NOT on the approved list. If it does pass muster once the TPM is installed, I expect to upgrade to Windows 11. If so, I may post back here with my findings.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 12:02 pm    

I have Win 11 (Pro) installed. I've been using the Windows insider Win 11 versions without problems so I was confident the regular release version would work OK. On the surface very little is changed. Windows are rounded instead of square. Icons, including start, are now centered. No special Win 11 drivers are needed. Malwarebytes Pro works OK as does all my other software including recording studio DAWs.

My desktop is a self built, Gigabyte "Designare" Z390 motherboard with an i9 9900K CPU. 16GB Corsair Ram, NVMe SSD drive.

Microsoft has not (yet) backed down on CPU requirements. I have a Dell laptop with a 7th gen Intel CPU that does not meet the 8th gen requirement. There are ways to install Win 11 on systems that do not meet requirements however with those, there is no guarantee security updates or fixes will be supplied.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 4:36 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
Microsoft has not (yet) backed down on CPU requirements. I have a Dell laptop with a 7th gen Intel CPU that does not meet the 8th gen requirement. There are ways to install Win 11 on systems that do not meet requirements however with those, there is no guarantee security updates or fixes will be supplied.

If that stays the case all I am out is the 25 bucks I paid for a TPM 2.0 module. It might even come in handy someday. Or, I could by a different AMD cpu that is approved for Windows 11 and go through the reactivation routine. Winking
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog