The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mike Scott Record Collection
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2021 7:25 am    

received via email
Richard M. Scott wrote:
Just a quick update to let you know that I found a permanent home for Mike's record collection. It is on its way to Hawaii where it will become part of the Hawaiian State archive as the "Michael Scott Hawaiian Music Collection". For now, it will be the only collection to be part of the archive and will be the only archive that will provide people with access to the music through an online digital playback service.

Of course, it will take years to make digital copies of all the records, but they have the budget, equipment and are committed to making this happen. They are also looking for donations of record collections from other collectors, so if you know of any likely candidates, please let me know so that I can send the donors the contact info for the archive.

Since this is a public archive, you will be able to see the recordings start to appear over the next few months, so by all means check it out. When the material begins to appear there should be a link from this page: https://ags.hawaii.gov/archives/

Regards,
Richard.

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2021 8:33 am     Scott Collection

Very Happy Thanks, bOb.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2021 8:48 am    

Is Mike Scott still with us? I purchased 100+ 78s from Mike years ago, his duplicates, but what really tickled me was that he went down his extensive list with me one by one to see which ones I was interested in. This took hours!

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2021 12:11 pm     Mike Scott

Crying or Very sad Mike is no longer with us. He was a very good friend and we really miss him.
I would like to add a few items regarding his huge collection that went to Hawaii as relayed to me by Mike's son.
The collection consisted of 6000 78s and 3500 LPs (approximate).. The collection weighed 2 1/2 tons. The Hawaii State Archive sent a PODS shipping container. The archive thought
the collection was so important that it was worth spending the money. The PODS container will go by truck and sea but will take a few weeks. A dozen volunteers will catalogue everything and will make digital copies which will probably take years.
Thanks, Mike,-and Rest in Peace. I know you're happy now.
Wally

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2021 6:40 pm     Mike Scott

Very Happy Mike was a top steel player. Played his Multi-Kord at all the HSGA conventions in Joliet and the Aloha International conventions. In Winchester. My personal favorites that Mike would always play for me were Strange Enchantment and Moon Over Burma.

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2021 8:41 pm    

6,000 78s is a-plenty! Glad they're going to a good home and that they'll be digitized for the ages.

Joe

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 2:07 pm    

This thread first surprised then scared me. So I'll state for the record here that this is NOT Michael Scott,son of the late DeWitt "Scotty" Scott (though I imagine Scotty probably had a pretty good collection of Hawaiian LPs too.)

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2021 10:24 am    

Thanks, Jim. This post gave me a start too. Appreciate you clarifying.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"