The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  opinion of dekley steel guitars
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 5:18 pm    

i would like to know how good dekley steels are also do they sound good.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 5:26 pm    

I had one before my Fessenden, liked it very much. Played in tune and had great tone. Easy to change copedant. Only drag was that it was heavy.

Dan

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 5:55 pm    

Great guitars. Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 6:14 pm    

You might find a better name but they'll play and sound as good as any.

John Gould

Houston, TX Now in Cleveland TX
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 6:57 pm    

Great Guitars but your right they are heavy but I think that's part of why they sound good and stay in tune.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 8:50 pm    

Second to none in the sound and playability department.

Besides: I can't imagine any other steel being able to take that much beating and abuse and still be ready for stage-performance.

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2009 2:17 am    

I have had a couple of them and still have one. I really like mine and they can be bought at very good price. One of the best for the money you can buy. Currently mine is the only one of my guitars I am playing. The only thing I have heard negative ( other than heavy ) is the string spacing is a little closer than the MSA Classic and most other guitars.
It was never a problem to me but does take a few minutes to adjust to . Like a MSA Classic They are built like tanks and seem to last forever .

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2009 3:50 am     dekley p.s.g

have been playing one for about 6 years now. great sounding guitars Smile they are heavey but, sound great
if, i where you i would stick with the dekley slimline guitars that where built in the 80's
just my 2 cents Smile

p.w
www.countyoutlaws.com

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2009 5:16 am    

Because of it's ultra heavy construction and "Pakawood" necks, my Dekley seems to have less cabinet drop than most other steels I've played.

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2009 5:31 am    

Rick Schmidt wrote:
Because of it's ultra heavy construction and "Pakawood" necks, my Dekley seems to have less cabinet drop than most other steels I've played.

Agreed!

The Dekley "Slimline" is probably the most underrated guitar out there.

Bob Smile Smile

Bill Stroud

Dresden, Tennessee, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2009 8:11 am     Double 12 Dekley 8 & 9

I've got one Double 12 9 floors and 8 knees sounds as good as they get.
I would sell it ......
Bill

Interested parties email me for price & Pictures.
bjsbars@frontiernet.net
If sells from here forum gets their %.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2009 8:53 am    

I helped a guy set-up a red Deckley S10 3x5, and it was/is one great sounding Pedal Steel (that he got at an incedible price).

John McGlothlin

Post  Posted 22 Jul 2009 10:44 am    

I remember back when the show called Nashville Alive was on and Buddy Emmons and Phil Baugh were part of the staff band there was one episode where Buddy Emmons was using a Deckley single neck,it might have been a universal or an extended E9th and if I was dreaming this then pardon my insanity but I don't think I was.

Dennis Brown

Gowen, Mi. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2009 12:25 pm     slim line here!

I have a 1983 slimline D10. Black. Looks great, sounds greater. I've had many other great brand name steels and the Dekley is not a under dog to any of them. Heavy? yes. Heavy with tone? "Oh yea"
I've been playing sense 1972 (off and on). My first new steel was a Dekley. After 15 or 20 other steels in my time I'm again on a Dekley. Winking
Dennis.

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2009 8:18 pm    

I have 3 of 'em. A Student S-10, a Slimline S-10, and weighty but beauty D-10.

I play out mostly with the Slimline but sometimes my Emmons SD-10. There is a definite difference between the two but they both sound beautiful (when somebody that knows how to play them sits down to 'em... Very Happy Very Happy ).

The D-10 stays in the 3rd floor studio. Hasn't moved in 3 years but gets played daily.;

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2009 7:51 pm    

I like heavy guitars, just my opinion, but they seem to hold to temp changes a bit better and dont scoot around on wooden bandstands. I have tried a few modern light one's which are nice on the load out and in, but they seem to move about a bit on a wooden stage.
Dekley had a great reputation.

Ulric Utsi-Åhlin

Sweden
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2009 2:08 am    

I have two Dekleys,one of which I´ve played for well
over 25 years...greatest working tools around.McUtsi

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2009 11:37 am    

Split the cases and it will solve the weight problem on the Dekleys. Takes 20 pounds off. They are great sounding guitars. www.hattoncases.com

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2009 4:03 am     psg

D-10's are heavy. Changing out the pickups sometimes are a problem also due to the narrow originals. The models that used pakkawood were built like a tank and last forever it seems.

Lana Carroll

Brooklyn, NY
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2009 9:52 pm    

My main steel currently is a Dekley D-10 I got off the forum last year. It has great sustain and stays in tune. You can get a fabulous tone out of it - tho I do have to balance out the treble by rolling it way down & boosting the mid-range and bass. My guess is that this has to do with the pickups that are on it, which I think are original, but I am not entirely sure it's not my amplifier set-up.

I ditto the weight issue, though. Its unbelievably heavy - like the grand piano of pedal steels, or something. I usually request help from my band-mates when setting it up and breaking it down.

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 4:08 am    

I have a 2nd Dekley set up and playing it here at home as well. I chose it to set up because it was drilled for 11 pedals . It was the easiest to reverse the pedals on because of this . I think they are great and would buy another one in a heartbeat. They are heavy but they are normaly very reasonable on the price .

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 2:32 pm    

Wish I had one.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 4:51 pm    

Bill Dobkins wrote:
Wish I had one.

I wish I had two Wink

The only problem related to my nearly 30 year old Dekley, is that I have so far been unable to find another PSG that is built strong enough, and flexible enough, to copy my existing ones copedent to. Only solution is to get another Dekley, it seems.

Dallas Cheked

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2011 8:10 pm    

Rick Schmidt wrote:
I would like to see this Pakkawood material used in steel guitar construction once again. This stuff is super strong and makes a great sounding instrument. You don't need metal necks to get clarity out of a Dekley. I certainly wouldn't mind owning one.
EMCI D-10 Steel 8+6, Peavey Nashville 400, Fender Twin Reverb, Stelling Staghorn Banjo,Vintage Premier Banjo, Dobro D-60 and F60S Squarenecks, Fender Stratocaster, Boss RV-5, DD2,GE7, Goodrich SteelDriver II.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2011 9:17 pm    

Dallas Cheked wrote:
You don't need metal necks to get clarity out of a Dekley. I certainly wouldn't mind owning one.

Smile
Now - as of two days ago - I got two, and this one will not get aluminum necks since it - quite correctly - doesn't need 'em.

This D10 seem to have just slightly less sustain and a hair more detuning than the modded S10 I have back in Norway, so I will leave it as is on top.

Will add one pedal and a vertical lever though - got original Dekley parts, just to get the upper neck closer to the copedant I'm used to.

Strange that people want these Dekley PSGs but don't buy one when they're available. I have bought two Dekleys in the last year and a half here on the forum, and let a few pass me by. I have also sold one through the forum.

I'm sure glad I got this D10. It's a great-sounding good-looking show-piece, and I don't think it is the least heavy - just steady. And ... it's black Cool